Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 4x4 and the spider gears in the rear end have broken teeth and i dont want to put another nissan rear end under my truck does anyone know of another option?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I have a 2005 4x4 and the spider gears in the rear end have broken teeth and i dont want to put another nissan rear end under my truck does anyone know of another option?
TruTrac limited slip differential replaces the spiders, as does the ARB air locker, but it cost more.

With labor probably under $1k for the TT and under $1.5K for the ARB. Search on TruTrac, lots of information on here.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
You could replace it w/ another stock diff. & wait for it to break again or you could buy a Trutrac LSD & never have to worry about it again. Plus, having an LSD in a full sized truck is pretty much a must have mod. I love my Trutrac! One of the best mod's out there for our Titan's especially for towing, offroading & racing! :)

Reactions: chris741

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Currie now makes a bolt in full rear end replacement as well. It all depends on how much $$$ you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't think about the ARB. I've had a previos truck with an ARB in the rear, the o-rings wear out fast and leak gear oil into the air line to actuate it. They are fine for a front diff with hubs but not for a rear end application that does daily driving.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Don't think about the ARB. I've had a previos truck with an ARB in the rear, the o-rings wear out fast and leak gear oil into the air line to actuate it. They are fine for a front diff with hubs but not for a rear end application that does daily driving.
I've considered getting the ARB if my E-Lock rear ever goes out, so I'm curious about this. What was your previous truck, and how common is it?

For instance hooligan had his Titan engine go out and replaced under warranty, but this doesn't mean it is common for Titan engines. And if they had an issue with O-rings, I would think they would come up with a fix, since lockers is an important part of their business.

TruTrac had some issues with bolts backing loose inside when they first came out, but they came up with a fix ...

Did a quick search and it looks like the O rings on some of them at least was an issue, but it apparently has been fixed.:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/373468-arb-locker-leak-issue.html#post5412554

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just had a Tru-Trac installed in my '05 on Thursday. I haven't been able to really try it out because it has been so wet around here but I can sure tell it's back there! Can't wait to really try it out when I take out my trailer or get slightly off road. No more worries about breaking spider gears.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The previous truck was a Ford Ranger. The axle was a Dynatrac 60. I had the o-rings replaced 3 times. I used to drive this truck daily. I had ordered the axle directly from Dynatrac. The guy I had replace o-rings in town locally works on everything 4x4. He did te setup on my front end to 5.13 gears. Anyway he told me this is an ongoing problem because it is a daily driver and the rotation always on the sealed side of the air cylinder basically. And dirt, chips running aroun in the oil will destroy the o-rings and you get air/ oil leaks. I expected to replace o-rings every 10000 miles. Not only did the compressor run a lot (I went through 2 ARB compressors) but oil would come back out through the air solenoid when I would release the air pressure :(. I had to replace the air line twice. If I woul setup another rear end again it would be the e-locker or a Detroit locker. I have also used a lock right and I put 50000 miles on it with no problems at all. I did run a friction modifier to that differential.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
The previous truck was a Ford Ranger. The axle was a Dynatrac 60. I had the o-rings replaced 3 times. I used to drive this truck daily. I had ordered the axle directly from Dynatrac. The guy I had replace o-rings in town locally works on everything 4x4. He did te setup on my front end to 5.13 gears. Anyway he told me this is an ongoing problem because it is a daily driver and the rotation always on the sealed side of the air cylinder basically. And dirt, chips running aroun in the oil will destroy the o-rings and you get air/ oil leaks. I expected to replace o-rings every 10000 miles. Not only did the compressor run a lot (I went through 2 ARB compressors) but oil would come back out through the air solenoid when I would release the air pressure :(. I had to replace the air line twice. If I woul setup another rear end again it would be the e-locker or a Detroit locker. I have also used a lock right and I put 50000 miles on it with no problems at all. I did run a friction modifier to that differential.
Did you ever give thought to an Ox locker. Stupid simplicity. Manual cable actuated locker.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I did run a friction modifier to that differential.
Just FYI. Eaton recommends not using any friction modifier with the Trutrac.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to research this more if I have issues with my E-lock rear. Think Kartman is running one in his 2wd Titan prerunner, after some issue with the TruTrac, so maybe he will comment at some point on the Titan model. Don't see him post much lately.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did you ever give thought to an Ox locker. Stupid simplicity. Manual cable actuated locker.
Those are really cool. They came out too late for my application. My dad runs one in his 97 F-350. It is sweet how easy it works! It's for a front end application dana 60. I do wonder if ox makes one for the Titan?

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to research this more if I have issues with my E-lock rear. Think Kartman is running one in his 2wd Titan prerunner, after some issue with the TruTrac, so maybe he will comment at some point on the Titan model. Don't see him post much lately.
Whatever happened to Kartman? Haven't really heard from him lately...

But then again, it is desert season...

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Only "know" him from here.

Found this ARB rebuild article. Idk, they said make sure you stretch the O ring on ... never roll it ... sounds sketchy but then again I'm not a O ring expert. Lol
The Truth About Air Lockers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts