Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tailgate assist has been replaced numerous times but lasts about 6 months and breaks again. Dealership has replaced each time under warranty. The tailgate gets opened about 10 -12 times a day with no unusual stress on tailgate. Any thoughts would be appreciated. When warranty expires it’s on me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Damn mine only gets opened that much in a month!!

I see posts about this occasionally.. Not sure if there is a writeup on a long term fix... i’ll do some checking...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tailgate assist has been replaced numerous times but lasts about 6 months and breaks again. Dealership has replaced each time under warranty. The tailgate gets opened about 10 -12 times a day with no unusual stress on tailgate. Any thoughts would be appreciated. When warranty expires it’s on me.
we have the same truck..i have the habit of lowering the tailgate,with my arm guiding it down..assume your using the same method?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
we have the same truck..i have the habit of lowering the tailgate,with my arm guiding it down..assume your using the same method?
Defeats the purpose of tailgate assist. I open mine with one finger and then let it go.

So far mine still works properly.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
374 Posts
I hold mine, habit from the old days of unassisted tailgates I suppose.

but mine will probably only get opened 15 - 20 time a year so I will probably not experience the assist failure.

is the tailgate heavy unassisted? like they were on some of the older trucks?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Defeats the purpose of tailgate assist. I open mine with one finger and then let it go.

So far mine still works properly.
[/QUOTE
Defeats the purpose of tailgate assist. I open mine with one finger and then let it g
ial

it does defeat the purpose, i dont think the spring is up for the job..id like too see a time lapse tail gate test..till it fails..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hold mine, habit from the old days of unassisted tailgates I suppose.

but mine will probably only get opened 15 - 20 time a year so I will probably not experience the assist failure.

is the tailgate heavy unassisted? like they were on some of the older trucks?
same here,springs break...

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
With a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, why care? It’s their problem. M

Clint

·
Registered
4,494 Posts

Clint
Why care? Because every time something goes wrong a person has to take time out of their day to bring the truck to the dealer and then back again a 2nd time when replacement parts come in. Having to deal with something that a person shouldn't have to be dealing with.

Design / Engineer parts correctly so we don't have to deal with all of this piddly little ****.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Also if there are parts that are identified as common recurring failure points they will continue to fail after the warranty is expired unless Nissan decides to re engineer them. For anyone planning to keep their truck for the long haul they probably won't appreciate regular out of pocket expenses to replace something over and over.

Reactions: busemans

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Why care? Because every time something goes wrong a person has to take time out of their day to bring the truck to the dealer and then back again a 2nd time when replacement parts come in. Having to deal with something that a person shouldn't have to be dealing with.

Design / Engineer parts correctly so we don't have to deal with all of this piddly little ****.
It’s been in before he said so they already know what broke and can fix it on the first visit. I’d also make sure it’s addressed upon showing up and almost no time lost.
He can only deal with what is and that’s to get it fixed again.

Clint

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Also if there are parts that are identified as common recurring failure points they will continue to fail after the warranty is expired unless Nissan decides to re engineer them. For anyone planning to keep their truck for the long haul they probably won't appreciate regular out of pocket expenses to replace something over and over.
I’d take that up with mama Nissan and get that decided early on. Maybe there is some else wrong beside the spring assist and maybe something is bent or misaligned?

Clint

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had this issue twice on my 2012. I suspect it fails when I park on a bit of a side hill, or the tail gate shifts on its pivot as if it were going to be removed. Once out of alignment and I slam it closed I believe that cracks that part on the hinge pin. Since the last time, I'm really aware of the tail gate alignment before I slam it shut. Just a suspicion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer has ordered entire assist assembly and is having body shop check alignment of tailgate. Originally let tailgate drop but have gone to the arm assist

1 - 14 of 14 Posts