Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - so two weeks ago some random guy comes up to me at a gas station and say "hey I might be getting a brush guard that will fit that Titan." He wouldn't give me his name but insisted on taking mine (first only) and my cell.

Fast forward to today when he calls me and tells me he has the grill. He says that it's a 'nissan OEM product' that has some hail damage.

Does/did Nissan ever make an OEM brush guard? Hail damage? He only wants $250 which is about half of what a new one costs.

What do you guys think? Sketchy dealings? Papa always said if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Nissan does make an OEM brush guard. Hail damage? I doubt any hail is going to cause damage to that brush guard.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking on the hail damage. I'm going to look at it on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If that's what it looks like I'll pick it up for sure. I hope it fits my 2008. I'd bet that the tow hook placement isn't any different over the years.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
That's correct. Same attachment points...

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
I have the OEM. It's Powder Coated Tubular Steel and that would have to be some serious hail to leave a mark. I had shopping carts hit my headlight guards pretty darned hard during heavy winds and never left a single mark. I'm betting that a hammer won't leave a mark either unless it's a steel mallet. Make sure it's identical to mine, there are plenty of cheaper immitations that look close but are much weaker. More pics can be seen here: http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb89/PopsRacer/?start=all

Here's the best closeup pic I have. That nearest Tow Hook chipped one of the Concrete Barriers in the Parking lot of Six Flags San Antonio and it didn't even have a single mark on it after I scrubbed the yellow paint off.

·
Premium Member
76,485 Posts
I wonder if it's a scam this guy pulled.

seems like maybe there is a defect with the one he has and it's being replaced. they chuck the old one (the one you are buying for 250) and he gets a new one..

this is also done with other parts from things i've read...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I don't know - that's why it seems fishy. He told me where he live and it's a trailer park. I think he may work for a junk yard or maybe even for a dealership. That's why I'm worried - I don't want to buy it and then have someone recognize it and then I have to give it back because it's stolen property...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
btw if that is the grille it looks NICE.

·
Premium Member
76,485 Posts
anmut said:
Yeah I don't know - that's why it seems fishy. He told me where he live and it's a trailer park. I think he may work for a junk yard or maybe even for a dealership. That's why I'm worried - I don't want to buy it and then have someone recognize it and then I have to give it back because it's stolen property...

yeah, that's the one thing, if you've got it, you're screwed. and they don't want to hear any :deathsent about it.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly - when I go there on Saturday I think I'll pry him to why he might just randomly have a brush guard for a Titan. I thought about calling the local police too - just to check. I'd hate to have mine ripped off and resold on me.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
DeadRiver said:
good luck man... just be sure he's not trying to jack your titan!

Seriously dude...there was a scam going on down here where guys would pull up to someone at a stop light, ask them if they wanted to buy some speakers they had in the back of their car...they'd say follow me to the next parking lot, so I can show you them...then they'd beat you down and steal your car...

I've actually had someone ask me twice now in the last couple years...they get pretty insistant...one at a red light, the other pulled up at a gas station when i was getting gas...

·
Premium Member
76,485 Posts
there were doing that around here too bills, but they actually had stolen stereo equipment in the van.... they pulled up at my buddies shop the one day "yo, you wanna buy some stereo **** cheap"

uh.... no

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well thankfully where I live we don't have anything like that. Small town. The WORST we have around here is cars broken into.

If I do buy it I'll use a check with my old address on it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey, make sure to go with someone else. Do not go alone. Preferrable an intimidating individual not a girlfriend/wife. It also wouldn't hurt to do the exchange at a mutual location (Target parking lot). Somewhere visible and during the day. Inspect the part very good before you hand over the money. The last thing you would want to do is get home and find out you purchased something that won't work. (a bent titan guard, or a guard for a Frontier,F150,ect)

my 2cents.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Definately use cash, no check. If you pay with check he will have your full name and SS#, if you have it on the checks. If he is smart enough he can track where you live and steal, possibly re-steal, the brush guard and sell it to someone else.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
**UPDATE**

So I went to this guys place today and bs'd with him. Turns out he works at the stealership I bought my truck from! He said it came in on a truck that had hail damage to it. He had it put back in the box of the replacement guard they put on and had all the original hardware and instructions. He said don't mention it to the GM that we both knew (i worked there on the wash rack as a kid) and I because I knew that his guy was a huge a55 i said don't worry about it.

The 'damage' to the guard was two little bumps, only noticeable by running your hand over the main oval support. All in all it's a really good deal and I went ahead and bought it. No worries about getting it ripped off or being a shady deal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts