Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for those who have been on both sides of the fence (2.94 and 3.36). I have a 2006 NON-BIG TOW 2.94 Titan FFV CC SE with Truetrac, UpRev, and everything else in my signature. I have always like low end grunt the BT gear provides, but have read many posts saying that after 2nd gear 2.94 is the way to go... I am looking at purchasing JWT S7/S2 cams in the future and would like to know all of your honest opinions. I do work with my Titan and haul heavy material from time to time, over 1900lbs in the bed. Once our boats are done I will also be towing (18 footer and a 26 footer). The speed limit where I live is 40mph and I do not drive very far, no more than 30 miles away from my house.

I was looking at the 3.73 gear and 3.36 big tow gear. Please place me in the right direction. I want raw low end power, but I want to maintain that pull regardless of what speed I am at. i.e. I want to punch it at 50mph and have it pull like the 2.94 gear. Is this achievable? I notice that the some of the quickest 60' are big tow Titans, but some of the quickest 1/4's are non-big tow Titans... LOL Any help is appreciated. Remember, once cams go in I am done with performance mods and do not plan to add NOS or a turbo. :teeth:

Thank you everyone for all your help. :hi:

ps If 3.36 gears are not for sale anywhere, what is the closest gear to it that is available???

·
Registered
745 Posts
For what your wanting...It will never happen...

The truck is just too heavy, and has too much rotating mass to ever each that goal.

Here is a good rule of thumb you can use to judge how quick your vehicle is. The average sports car weighs in the neighborhood of 3000lbs, with 250 actual rear wheel horsepower and a decent driver. the car should able to reach a 13.00 1/4 time and cross the traps at approx. 105mph...

Now, just add 100lbs to the total race weight of that vehicle and the time will drop to 13.10, and so on for every 100lbs. The only way to overcome that weight is with raw power and tq. Now adding 100hp to that 300lb car will propel that car to an approx. 12.50 1/4 time and a trap of abbout 110.

Now lets say in a perfect world your Titan has a race weight of 5000lbs, race weight is total weight of the truck with the driver in it and the fuel tank full ready to run down the drag strip. And if I recall correctly the Titan makes right around the 280ish mark actual rear wheel power. With the mods mentioned for your truck, I would say your right around 325-330 actual wheel horsepower. The easiest way for you to overcome your problem is to remove weight. Rear seats, jack, tools, spare tire, anything and everything you can remove. Some people even remove the passenger seat.

Otherwise you will need to make a crap ton more power to overcome your problems and reach the goal you want. A gear will only cycle your current power band in a faster or slower rate. Yes a different gear ratio can give you better track times, but its never more than a few tenth of a second. Unless your a hard core drag racer, stick with the standard gear and worry about the other things.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I know I went 1.89 60' on my 2.94 Titan. I like what I have seen form the 2.94, I've seen dozens of Titans locally at the track, and never saw any difference in gearing. If you look at some of the sports cars such as the new 5.0 GT Mustang, you can see the difference the gearing makes. Not so much for us. I think Firelife actiually tried the BT gears, some 3:73's, and some 4:11's. He ended up doing the best with the 3:73's I believe

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys. If it doesn't make a difference on the track, then the hell with it. LOL I'll start saving for the 2014 Titan, hopefully it comes out.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. If it doesn't make a difference on the track, then the hell with it. LOL I'll start saving for the 2014 Titan, hopefully it comes out.
The only way gearsing makes a difference at the track is when a number of things work together perfectly.

In a perfect world, you could launch the truck and get a decent 60'. The truck would run though the gears and at the very top of 4th gear be passing through the trap.

If you pass through the trap in 3rd gear, you can go to a steeper gear to run through your powerbands faster. If your truck is shifting into overdrive before the trap, your gear is too steep and you need to back off.

Honestly I think the best mod you could do would be the trans-go shift kit...putting a shift kit on any vehicle you plan to race that has an auto tranny should be one of the first mods. And when you do it you will see why I say that. You may think your truck shifts good, till you put in a different valve body and see what that thing is really like.

Reactions: O-FiveCC

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I have bt gears. I'd bet money if I put 2.94s in it wouldn't change my times. Problem is, not enough people on here race!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only way gearsing makes a difference at the track is when a number of things work together perfectly.

In a perfect world, you could launch the truck and get a decent 60'. The truck would run though the gears and at the very top of 4th gear be passing through the trap.

If you pass through the trap in 3rd gear, you can go to a steeper gear to run through your powerbands faster. If your truck is shifting into overdrive before the trap, your gear is too steep and you need to back off.

Honestly I think the best mod you could do would be the trans-go shift kit...putting a shift kit on any vehicle you plan to race that has an auto tranny should be one of the first mods. And when you do it you will see why I say that. You may think your truck shifts good, till you put in a different valve body and see what that thing is really like.

Teh Wicked, I appreciate the comments man and you all have shed some light for me, time and time again. Mid last year, my valve body was upgraded through Import Performance Transmission (IPT), and yes, it does make a world of difference at WOT. I was just wondering if the gear upgrade was even worth it, but from all the responses, I would say it is not worth the effort nor money. I will just purchase the BT option on my next Titan. LOL I'm a Titan fanatic. :teeth:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have bt gears. I'd bet money if I put 2.94s in it wouldn't change my times. Problem is, not enough people on here race!
Very true bro, its a bit embarrassing to say, but I have never ran my Titan at the track where I live because it is not NHRA approved... I baby it, but I do get an occasional ricer wanting to try me... Results are usually the same for them...:crying: LOL

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Very true bro, its a bit embarrassing to say, but I have never ran my Titan at the track where I live because it is not NHRA approved... I baby it, but I do get an occasional ricer wanting to try me... Results are usually the same for them...:crying: LOL
Have you ever ran it? You want to let that 07' IM go yet? I have uprev and I'm ready to get one:) $150.............................

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you ever ran it? You want to let that 07' IM go yet? I have uprev and I'm ready to get one:) $150.............................
LOL I have never ran my Titan on the 1/4, but I have an occasional show down on the street...:eyebrow: I just received an offer letter yesterday (thank goodness) for a job so I will still be installing the IM.... I'm sorry bro, for me to get another and ship it to Guam would kill my $$$ again... That's the only part in my sig not installed and its killing me. Wouldn't ebay have one for cheap?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Very true bro, its a bit embarrassing to say, but I have never ran my Titan at the track where I live because it is not NHRA approved...
That doesnt matter man...If your not racing in a NHRA bracket the rules do not apply. Tracks have specific rules for running so fast...

The general rule of thumb is, if your running 14.00 and slower you really need nothing but a seatbelt.

If you run 13.99 or faster you will need a DOT approved helmet more than likely. 13.50 and faster will require a driveshaft loop. and if your Titan is running 12.99 or faster...well then you dont need me explaining to you the rules...

Even with every bolt on mod made for the titan, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT you will run faster than 14.00, it takes some serious muscle to run that fast in a truck that heavy.

And honestly, after years at drag strips....You can show up in any vehicle and make a single pass. If you do something wrong the people at the track will let you know quickly. And usually if your fast enough they will give you a "get the, get a... (helmet, roll cage, driveshaft loop, 5-point harness) or go home. and you just go home. So run it and see what happens...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ Good points and advice. I have been meaning to run it, but no one wants to go with me... LOL Hopefully my brother gets Transgo and truetrac in his 04' KC BT Titan soon so he can be a good match. As for the bolt-ons and 14's, I think my Titan will do ok. There are many members here that broke 13's easy with all bolt-ons, UpRev, Transgo, and Truetrac. I already have all that installed. All that along with a 3400 stall converter and good slicks at 28psi the Titan can break 12's..... No joke. Toomnymods Titan did it without NOS. You are right though, it will take some serious mods and $$$$$ to get there though. Our trucks are not cheap by any means and every mod damn near runs $500 each. LMFAO We need more vendors man.... I just got my new job, so to celebrate I'll see if my bro wants to run with me... Would be awesome.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
^^^ Good points and advice. I have been meaning to run it, but no one wants to go with me... LOL Hopefully my brother gets Transgo and truetrac in his 04' KC BT Titan soon so he can be a good match. As for the bolt-ons and 14's, I think my Titan will do ok. There are many members here that broke 13's easy with all bolt-ons, UpRev, Transgo, and Truetrac. I already have all that installed. All that along with a 3400 stall converter and good slicks at 28psi the Titan can break 12's..... No joke. Toomnymods Titan did it without NOS. You are right though, it will take some serious mods and $$$$$ to get there though. Our trucks are not cheap by any means and every mod damn near runs $500 each. LMFAO We need more vendors man.... I just got my new job, so to celebrate I'll see if my bro wants to run with me... Would be awesome.
With all your mods, in a decent DA you will be in the 13's easy I'd say. Only thing your dont have it cams. Good luck bro! Cant wait to see your slips, you pretty heavily modded!

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
With basic bolt-ons, Titanss ran 13.6 in his truck with slight weight reduction and wheel change-outs. And he ran 13.9 before he got custom tuned. I ran 13.7 with slicks and street tires (twice) and ran numerous 13.8's. Even Chritenayuca just hit the 13.7 mark. The trans-go actually didn't help me much i the 1/4. i was running 13's long before it. I think your truck has 13's all over 8ball even without the gears. Everyone of us down here that got to the point of headers, tru-trac, and Uprev have all ran 13's

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
Stick with 3:36 if u tow alot :)

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
That doesnt matter man...If your not racing in a NHRA bracket the rules do not apply. Tracks have specific rules for running so fast...

The general rule of thumb is, if your running 14.00 and slower you really need nothing but a seatbelt.

If you run 13.99 or faster you will need a DOT approved helmet more than likely. 13.50 and faster will require a driveshaft loop. and if your Titan is running 12.99 or faster...well then you dont need me explaining to you the rules...

Even with every bolt on mod made for the titan, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT you will run faster than 14.00, it takes some serious muscle to run that fast in a truck that heavy.

And honestly, after years at drag strips....You can show up in any vehicle and make a single pass. If you do something wrong the people at the track will let you know quickly. And usually if your fast enough they will give you a "get the, get a... (helmet, roll cage, driveshaft loop, 5-point harness) or go home. and you just go home. So run it and see what happens...
lol ...UMMMMMMMMMM 14.00 with a full bolt on titan.....way past that my friend

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the motivation everyone. Now I have to run. LOL Damn curious now. I'll see if I can make a video that day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts