Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
So I wanted the turn signal/ marker light combo like the fords and now tundras have. The ford mirrors are so different than ours that frankenstein-ing in one of them just wasnt gonna happen. So I ordered a set off toyotapartscheap.com that come on the tow mirror equipped tundras. Luckily, I have a spare mirror coursesy of an oak tree, that I'm using for mock up. This is what I have so far, its not pretty, but I'm going to make a template once this one is done and graf it onto my actual mirrors so the cuts are clean..

I'll keep this updated as I go along. Eventually plan on lamin-x ing them so that hideous orange isn't sticking out there

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Yes, keep us updated. I've been wanting to do this for a while. So many times i'm moving across lanes and about midway through i see the person next to me starting to do the same. I'm hoping that having a blinking light right in their face will alert them NOT to move over into my lane.

I'm assuming you can see both the blinker and running light from the sides and front/rear of the truck? That's been my struggle, finding some lights that you can see from all angles. Looks like the tundra ones will be perfect.

How do you plan on recessing those since the mirrors are right behind what your mounting on? Seems they would interfere with each other.

Keep us updated. Thanks!

Could have sworn there was a how to on either here or clubtitan that detailed how to go about installing markers/turn signals on the BT mirrors. For the life of me i can't find it now...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i was going to recess them to make them even cleaner looking than the tundras but all the s**t behind the mirror I couldnt so theyre gonna be surface mounted like the tundras have em, not as clean looking as I hoped but thats the best I can do besides reconstruct the whole mirror haha. I'll keep it updated, just put the minilift on today looks ballin..

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I think i'll order up a pair of these lights. I don't think the orange looks bad, especially if it keeps people from driving into the side of me.

Congrats on the mini-lift. I'll bet it looks good. With the .75" lift from the RAS in the rear and my home made leveling spacers, my truck is lookin pretty tough as well.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha atta boy

yea they werent terribly expensive either, its just gonna be a PITA trying to find out which of the 3 prongs lights up what/ which is the ground... I'll keep it updated as I figure sh*t out.

Reactions: jager2704

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
first off, nissan engineers suck at designing interiors, took me about 20 mins to figure out how to get my door panel off, i could do it in my dakota in about 37seconds, and im pretty sure i broke half the clips... now im trying to snake wires thru the boot that connects the truck and the door but i cant get the kick panel off to give my hand more room, anyone know how this comes off?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
nevermind, i ended up snaking the wires thru by pulling both sides of the grommet/ hose connector thing out and then up the door to the mirror, took forever, and thats only the passenger side, i'll get pics when i do the drivers side. going to run them thru the firewall up to the front headlight harnesses for running/ turn signal light power

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
shoot the dudes that tinted my glass had mine off pretty quick. you pup the plastic peice off the center of the handle you use to close the door take the two screws out then lift the panel up as a whole like the same way the window rolls up. thats how I watched them do it. and also scratch my panel when the goon used a plastic knife to pop that plastic peice out had to have the bastids buy me a new door card :teeth:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea it's literally impossible not to foul everything up when removing the door panels especially the covers that conseal the bolts and the armrest. god cant they just make it simple? my dakota was 4 screws, no pop clips, lift up and its off. going to do the drivers side tmw, then wires from the front and im done! ill post pics whenever I get to it

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
So did you get all your wiring figured out? I just got my turn signals today. These things looks sweet! When i looked at your pics, they looked a lot thicker to my for some reason. How did you end up mounting them? Just epoxy?

Anyway, i figured the pins out i think. I determined pin 2 (center) to be ground and then the the pin closest to the set of led's is power for that set. Pin number is not consistent between both sides.

Do you happen to know which set of led's the tundra uses for running and which for turn signals or does it use all of them for running and then just blink them all for turn signal?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
umm, i think the lower foreward facing ones are running, from what ive seen on the tundra pics. To adhere i'm gonna use 3m adhesive double sided tape, stuff's awesome.. havent mounted them yet, been busy, but thanks for the info on the pins and power to which im assuming the different pins light up different led's

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update: found out today my passenger window only goes down half way, im guessing whatever i ran thru the door up to the mirrors is getting hung up on the mirror, gonna take it all back apart FML tomorrow and see whats up with that. Also just lamin-x'd my taillights, epic fail. Looked sick where i got it good, my buddy does it professionally so im just gonna have him do it

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
FYI, my buddy has a Tundra and on his the bottom set are running and the top set are the turn signals, so yeah sounds like you're correct with how you wired them.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
FYI, my buddy has a Tundra and on his the bottom set are running and the top set are the turn signals, so yeah sounds like you're correct with how you wired them.
theres two sets on bottom one on top.. isn't it top and rear bottom one turn signal and front bottom one running lights? just what ive seen in pics.. if you get a chance look for me so I wire it correctly once I fix the window problem

EDIT: The window problem was that I had routed the factory mirror harness across the window track when plugging it back in, when you re-mount the mirrors make sure when the wire with plug comes down from the top, you keep it towards the inside of the door (side facing the cab when the door is shut), then run it up to the plug on the door behind the door panel. Mine I had towards the outside of the door then brought it up to plug in and when the window rolled down it caught the wire harness about 1/4 way down

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
You can't supply power to the individual bottom columns of LED's, they are together. I tested them on a battery and like i said, you can either power the top set (single column) or the bottom set (both columns) but you can't power like the front bottom column or rear bottom column separately as they're just not setup like that.

Reactions: gusman

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
hmm, damn. What are you gonna do for running/ turn signal? Im thinking maybe the top one for running lights and the bottom two for turn signals? Kinda have our own choice since we don't have a harness or anything ya know?

EDIT: Just re-read thru the post and see that you already determined top is blinker bottom two are marker lights. Also found this on google backs up what you said..http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/data/articlestandard/toyota/022007/396168/mirror_out.jpg.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Good luck to you man, if you pull this off that would be an awesome mod. :redblob"

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I ran power from the front lights up to the firewall on each side (not thru yet), and what a b**ch that was. This is the most poorly designed vehicle I've ever worked on as far as user friendliness when taking stuff apart goes. Still can't get the grille back on, so I'm just going to do the DIY grille mod while it's out. I'm about half way there on the project!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts