Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4x in Baja Storm
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so before i install my stick on avs II aeroskin bug shield on my 2020, i wanted to see what you alls opinion is on exact placement. Totally cover all painted surfaces on the leading edge of the hood or a very small gap all around? Seems logical to cover all painted surfaces but then it seems hard to judge if it's straight or not.

Also, i am thinking about using my claybar to take the wax off the first few inches of the leading edge of the hood where the tape sticks to. Assuming this will work just as good if not better than the alcohol wipes- i will use those after the claybar. I want this thing not to blow off while going down the interstate at 75MPH.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
A good wipe down with alcohol will be sufficient to remove wax. Please post pictures.

Clint

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the shield either is defective or it's a horrible design. I am betting on the former. sent back. ordered another.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The wipes they give you are 70% alcohol, go to a drug store and get 90% if you can find it. The AVS shields use rather thin tape, and don't stick as good as they should. mine looked great, it was chrome behind my chrome grill, but I was startled on how easy it was to take off, plus you can't clean under it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have that bug shield on my Titan. Best applied with 2 people otherwise it's hard to get on straight.
were the ends under tension meaning you had to push them towards the metal on the head, like 2 inches?

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems to hold on well and directs wind higher (how can it not, it’s a foot tall!). Install wasn’t super fun, but it turned out well. Lots of test fitting for sure. AVS included this extra wipe and they didn’t reference it in the instructions; it was an adhesive promoter and I was dumb enough to wipe it on the hood — a little bit of rubbing alcohol took it off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got another one in the mail today. same issue. sending it back. i called avs again and the tech confirmed that the shield should have zero spring tension on the ends before taping. I guess i will look into nissan's bug shield that screws on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
999D5-W8000 is the part number with nissan. looking for install instructions to see if i am comfortable with the install or- don't want to drill.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed last night. Had a friend who is a mechanic help. Looks good. I did use clamps on each end, 3 per end, to keep pressure on it all night. Looks secure this morning. My process was i claybarred the area 3 times over a couple days. Alcohol prepped with 70% ipa and used the pads as well. My experience installing was that because the ends are up in the air a couple inches that allows u to better line things up without comitting until u know its good. Even with the tape exposed an inch or two every where it seemed like it was essy to reposition as needed. I wish avs tech support had told me this and didnt say i had a defective one. I do have the shield going past the edge of the bottom of hood every so slightly. All the tape is fully touching metal there. On the ends there is a very small sliver of tape thats hanging over the edge. Like 1/20th of the width of tape. I dont see that causing a problem. Also closed hood this morning and opened. All good there. Leaving it closed now and hoping its all still good monday. All in all, looks good. I prefer the matte black to the shiny. Though i have a shiny smoked one on my xterra and love it. That one is a nissan oem that screws in pre existing holes and has those clips with little screws on each end. Thats been on therr since 2007. Lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Before and after painting grill and bug shield install. I think I sprayed one too many coats on the grill. Might end up redoing it and just going with black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts