Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4x in Baja Storm
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a bug shield that will look good and attach with screws- not 3m tape. the ones on amazon are conflicting in what they use to attach. i want screws!! any ideas?

·
Registered
2019 Titan SV Crew Cab Midnight
34 Posts
Haven't bought one yet, cuz I don't want tape either. Have not found any with other than tape.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had one i bought off amazon for the tacoma i just traded out for the titan and it was screwed in place and no tape. the same make for the titan doesn't say what it is. but reviewers say it's tape. the video from the vendor shows screws but for a totally different vehicle. LOL. i will dig some more. i got the side steps on the way and a stubby 50 cal antenna because the stock one keeps hitting the top of the garage door. this titan is a beast.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nissan Titan 150 (2017-up) FormFit Hood Protector, sorry about the double pic. These are about as good as it gets, Nissan now offers them , for a little more $$$$$. You need to look at the instructions on the link I posted. They have bases that do stick on, and then steel clips that go under the hood, and on top of the base, where a screw goes into a "mushroom" that holds it on the hood. Everything is 3M tape, and it has paint protector strips for the metal clips, no metal to paint contact. Stable to 100+, (don't ask), but we had one on our Veloster for 4 years, never any problems, Hyundai, Kia, and Honda also use these , and they have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
352 Posts
3M tape is WAY better than 2 sided tape used to be. There are virtually no "screwed on" body trim or side rub strips any more. I worked in a body shop and pretty near every moulding, letter and shiny bling thing on cars is now taped.
Installation procedure will determine the end result.
Make sure the surface is absolutely dead clean and a light scuff will aid significantly. No wax, no cleaner residue on the surface. 1000-1500 grit sandpaper will be sufficient and hardly noticeable if you stray outside the area of attachment. Use Isopropyl alcohol to wipe the surface clean and let it dry. The next step will ensure it dries.
Use a heat gun or blow dryer to warm the metal surface, the surface of the hood deflector and the tape as you prepare to apply the tape to either mounting surface. The heat helps to activate the glue ensuring a skookum bond.
I put exterior window visors and sunroof wind deflector on my wife's SUV nearly 12 years ago and they are all still stuck like they'll never come off. Unless you apply heat to the tape and soften the glue, when you want to remove them.

Added bonus, no screws equals no entry point for corrosion.
Just my $.02.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just use 90% alcohol and clean the hood really well. the way they make the bases is super easy to install---if you can measure. You set the first base dead center on the hood, they give you a flexible tape to align this, and temp, hold downs. Then you measure the other 4 to the specs they give you, and you can trial fit the shield before mounting the bases. Read the instructions with the link, it may make it a little more clear.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
628 Posts
I always did double sided tape on window visors and never had trouble with it coming off. And it was good to way over 100 because a 97 v6 toyota camry doesn't have a top speed governor (at least not below 150)

·
Registered
2008 King Cab LE
2 Posts
looking for a bug shield that will look good and attach with screws- not 3m tape. the ones on amazon are conflicting in what they use to attach. i want screws!! any ideas?
Check out Weathertech for the bug shield. I have one on my 06 SL and love it. It came with both the 3M tape and screws. As another poster mentioned, surface prep is the key. I am a retired 3M sales rep that sold the tape in question, and provided the surface prep is done, it will not come off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Put one on my 17 Titan. Had the 3M tape, metal clips on the ends, and film/tape to keep the metal from scratching the hood. I have installed these types before with no issue so I ordered one from Amazon. This one was a nightmare and wish I wouldn't have installed it. Cruising down the interstate at 75mph and the 3M tape came loose and the bug shield looked like a guitar string vibrating up and down, abrading the front/top of my hood. Pulled over and noticed the metal clips tore through the film/tape, scratching through the paint down to metal. I still want a bug shield but think I will spend the extra $$ to have a local shop provide the shield and labor. Not trying to scare anyone, just sharing my last experience. Talked with a local shop where I had a Leer cap installed on the titan and they sell bug shields for $80 and charge $20 for install. Wish I would have known that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this scares me. i like the screwed ones but can't see anyplace under the hood where there are already screw holes so that's why it's tape or go home.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I HAD a Ventvisor Aeroskin on my truck, it looked fine, but something hit my hood at 4 in the morning, and my hood needed repainted. I removed it, and was startled how easy it came off. Formfit shields do not attach anything like most other shields. They make the Nissan factory accessory shield, for around $190- +installation. You can not remove it without taking the screws out from the pedestals. They also have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i was planning on installing this with the help of a friend tonight or tomorrow now. supposedly it's a one man job. i have installed other bug shields but usually the ones that use screws into the hoods pre-drilled holes. This one is very long but also doesn't sit flush on the hood the whole way down. Would move very easily if doing alone. So i decided to call avs to get their input on how my shield lies on the hood. it lies with the low part being on the centers and goes up as it goes away from center on both ends so there is like a 2-3" space on each end before you would push it to attach via tape. I was concerned about this causing the ends to come off as the shields form would always be trying to pull it away from each end. tech support told me it's a defect and so i am returning to amazon. Will look for a local supplier so i won't get another bad one. Every video i see- can't find one with the new titan- shows the thing just laying there flat. not curled up on each end. One review on another site had a problem with his 2017 titan where the ends came up so i am thinking there is a batch of bad ones out there.....fyi

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ordered another so lets see what that one looks like. The good news is that the hood is made out of aluminum which means no rust! so no need to ever remove this thing IMHO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts