Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering installing lights on my bull bar. What is the best way to wire them in? I'm not really crazy about putting in a toggle switch.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I bought and installed the optional light control stalk with the Fog Light control built in. Since my truck didn't come with fog lights, I just used the light connector (already wired into the factory harness)to control the relays I installed to run the lights. No extra switch to mount, or extra wires to fish thru the firewall...

I mounted a fuse block right next to the battery, then two 30 amp Bosch type relays on the core support, right behind the right hand headlight...

Attachments

Reactions: J.Bahde

·
Premium Member
75,095 Posts
The kit I got from hella came with a relay and a switch. The way you were supposed to do it was to tap into the high beams so that when the switch is on and you hit the highs, your bull bar lights would also operate.

I didn't want this application so I modified it with help from my dad...

I ran the hot from the relay out to the lights (black wire) and simply grounded the lights to the bull bar. i was left with a red and yellow coming out of the relay (i'd have to look to confirm). Basically what my dad suggested was to have the lights always with a hot, and use the switch to complete the circuit. the switch is also grounded.......

i probably did a crappy job explaining that but i'm on cold medicine and feel like my head is about 3 feet to the right of my shoulders.... I can supply pics and info when not so foggy :)

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
I'm not a fan of having the always hot to the switch. I've run down a battery a couple of times when I've left them on. :( I'd suggest taking the power for the relay trigger from one of the fuses inside the cabin that's only hot with the ignition on such as one of the power point circuits. Run that through your switch to the relay trigger. The big power is then run through a fused line to the relay, then out to your lights that have been suitably grounded. Running it this way means you only have the lower amp loaded trigger wire running through your firewall, and it's only that one wire going out. All the other wiring is under the hood at the relay.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for the info. I am new to TT and I gotta say all of you seem like some of the nicest people on the web, there's a lot of great information on this site. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
There are a bunch of different ways to wire lights, it all depends on what your needs are...

Some people want to be able to use the lights w/o the ign on, others want them to shut down saving the battery. Some want the o/r lights to operate with the factory Hi Beams, some don't...and so on...The proper use of a relay allows all of this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts