Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to hear the opinion(s) of using the bullet as a reso from anybody who has done so. How/Did it change the sound of the exhaust? Are you using it dumped or with a tip and do you like it?

I will be either using the bullet as a reso for my current setup or switching everything around altogether. I'd rather keep the xr1 if I can get it to the point that I'm hoping for.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Fire life said it does quiet it down and deepen the tone. But he also said that you'll have too much back pressure

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
firelifes titan is the reason why I wanted the xr1 muffler. Looking back at some threads I realized that the xr1 I got is different than his, that could be the reason I have so much more CIS than he does...

Here is the muffler firelife got

Borla 40943 - Borla XR-1 Racing Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Here is the muffler I got

Borla 40085 - Borla XR-1 Racing Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Here is a link to his xr1 setup, I'm running jba shorties and MF Hi-Flow cats just like he is. This isn't even with a resonated tip, just a dual walled from the looks of it.

His muffler is oval where as mine is round, and his is 3 inches shorter.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
HEY i know that video...lol....your right jon....you have the round xr1 which sound completely different then the oval....you can use the bullet as reso just make sure its the smallest one the have in length...and also needs to be closer to your cats or if you have no cats put the reso where the cats were...also im not sure if it would change the sound much but you have magnaflow cats i had dynatech....oh and yes just a summit double walled tip is what i used...hope that helps

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok awesome, that does help me. Looks like I'll plan on getting that other xr1 and going from there. I really didn't want to ditch the xr1, but I can justify it if its being replaced by another one.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've done it, but with a flowmaster muffler instead...but at least this will give you an idea of the difference it makes. I put mine in place of the rear cats (previously just had pipe in place of the rear cats), and it smoothed out the sound and virtually eliminated the CIS. I have since switched back to a Magnaflow muffler and still have no CIS...before having the bullets, I had tried two different magnaflow mufflers trying to get rid of the CIS sound with no luck....the bullets make a HUGE difference in that area at least!

The ones I used are 16" case length I believe and 2.25" inlet/outlet

Here ya go:

Reactions: Jon_UT

·
Registered
423 Posts
comparison of flowmaster vs magnaflow...both with bullets as resonators. i made a quick video of my new magnaflow with the bullets so you could hear it since the magnaflow and borla are similar in design..should help ya out hopefully....just put it together comparing it to the flowmaster for fun...

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
personally i would weld it to your tip.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
weld what to the tip?
a bullet will be "most" effective after the muffler. also cheaper. so get one #242222 and weld it to your eaxhaust tailpipe tip or after the muffler. with the bullet after the muffler, yes it will make it somewhat quieter but not quiet at all. it'll still be loud, deeper than any flowmaster but with waaay less to no CIS. oh yea i would switch your tip out to a 3.5 in 4.5 out resosonated tip. trust me, it;ll make a difference. a bullet before the muffler helps with drone..i heard. think about it, if you want to alter the sound of your exhaust, you modify the tailpipe exit. atleast for starters. than work forward.

my cherrybomb extreme single in dual out with reso tips is perfect, for me. no CIS and the drone is not that bad. it is deeper than a single bullet. yes some heard it at meets but they have not heard it while cruising or rompin on it. soon to do duals.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
another thing is i dont try an build the loudest exhaust but a waay deeper and smoother exhaust tone. it makes up for all the other CIS and rasp or pop you get from other setups.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I too plan on doing true duals, with an X as center as possible, might end up with a crossing overlap of pipe up front, but ultimaty looking for a unison pressure flow, then going to try out two FM 10, single chamber mufflers, then side exit in front of the tires... I'm still sketching and looking up at my undercarriage to try and find the ultimate path for my piping... ;) I do believe it will be LOUD, especially with my HF cats and 2.25 to 2.5 B Pipes... :D

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
a bullet will be "most" effective after the muffler. also cheaper. so get one #242222 and weld it to your eaxhaust tailpipe tip or after the muffler. with the bullet after the muffler, yes it will make it somewhat quieter but not quiet at all. it'll still be loud, deeper than any flowmaster but with waaay less to no CIS. oh yea i would switch your tip out to a 3.5 in 4.5 out resosonated tip. trust me, it;ll make a difference. a bullet before the muffler helps with drone..i heard. think about it, if you want to alter the sound of your exhaust, you modify the tailpipe exit. atleast for starters. than work forward.

my cherrybomb extreme single in dual out with reso tips is perfect, for me. no CIS and the drone is not that bad. it is deeper than a single bullet. yes some heard it at meets but they have not heard it while cruising or rompin on it. soon to do duals.
lol sorry buddy you not even close to right......to change the sound of a muffler ..quiet it down...mellow it out what ever you want to say you always put it before the muffler as close to the cats or replace the cats with them...not only to change sound but also to increase performence....

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
does he want to quiet it down, or get rid of the CIS ? i know i may never sound close to rite, but my shiet sounds pretty damn loud, deep and clean with no CIS.
save money buy one bullet (instead of 2) have a shop wack off your tailpipe tip and weld it to the bullet and slap it back on. and look into a larger resonated tip with a 4.50 outlet. autozone has a 3A for $29.

OR you can weld the bullet rite before the muffler......(sounds crazy i know)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts