Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I sold my Injen...I'm not trying to have the fastest truck around so don't need what's claimed to be one of the best intakes around. I'm just getting a Bully brand intake off of eBay (link ). Bully is the company that makes the step bars, and tailgate nets and so on (logo below)...not to be confused with Bully Dog.

There are a couple of others offered on eBay for a smidge cheaper, but they both have metal tubes and I wanted plastic since it doesn't hold heat like metal. I haven't seen anyone on here that's running one so figured I'd give it a shot. Screenshot below to show generic stock photo (I hate that), price, seller, and feedback. I'll post actual pictures and a perfeshunall :)ftard:) review when I get it, so check back...

(click the header of the picture to make it more legible)

Initial Pictures:

The shield is about .080...pretty stout.

The filter is about 7" long with a 6" opening.
There's a reducer to match up to the intake pipe.

All hardware, couplers, and weather stripping look to be sufficient.

....And here are some pictures of it installed:

(above) There's a bracket that comes with the kit that supports the intake tube. It takes a little persuasion to clamp the tube firmly.

(below) There's just enough weather stripping left over to use as a cushion for the intake tube in the event of any rubbing.

And a couple of (crappy) audio clips...they don't sound great or clear, but I uploaded them so figured I'd post them...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ill be waiting for a review...still on the fence between s&b and fujita tho.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well a tube is a tube, a box is a box, and a filter is a filter. I don't think there's anything too significant about any of the basic CAI's out there that justifies one costing $125 (S&B) or $150 (Fujita) more than one without a label on it.

I will say: The Injen claims some pretty specialized design elements which result in their claimed higer HP results. So other than the Injen, a CAI in a CAI in my book. (The Banks, Bully Dog, Volant, and some others have some little things that would probably give them a slight advantage over the ones I've listed below.)

For the most part, some might seal better, some might have more gradual bends in the tubing giving better airflow, some of the filters might be superior/larger, some might argue a sealed box is better than a box with weather stripping, some have a "ram air scoop"...but when it comes down to it I bet I could take the fastest trucks on here and put virtually any name brand CAI on it, have you go trounce on it, come back, put a generic one on, and you'd have no idea it was switched. Or, picture all of the tubes, boxes, and filters shown below laying on a garage floor. Which one would you walk up to and pick out of the pile and why?

Like I said, for all intents and purposes, a tube is a tube, a box in a box, and a filter is a filter.

Forgetting about the labels, what's really the difference?:

Fujita:

S&B:

Bully:

K&N:

AFE:

AEM:

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I'd have to agree, CAI are not all that. .15 to .2 at best in the 1/4 mile. That bully will give you that I'm sure.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Intake air temperatures and filter design play a big role in intake performance along with the intake tube. I'm sure track testing would show up to a .2 second difference in performance between the different brands. Some may say .2 is insignificant, but .2 is a substantial difference IMO.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...some might seal better, some might have more gradual bends in the tubing giving better airflow, some of the filters might be superior/larger, some might argue a sealed box is better than a box with weather stripping, some have a "ram air scoop"...
Intake air temperatures and filter design play a big role in intake performance along with the intake tube. I'm sure track testing would show up to a .2 second difference in performance between the different brands. Some may say .2 is insignificant, but .2 is a substantial difference IMO.
Agreed and already stated. I've had a turbo truck, I know how important IAT's are. However, .2 being significant depends on what you already run. A slow truck can run a 16.5 and turn around with the same setup and run a 16.3 and turn around again and run a 16.7. A 10.5 second truck however dropping .2 is a pretty huge deal.

But all of that aside, if someone is going to argue Brand A filter is better than Brand B, they have to post unbiased tests showing that. Same with the tube...although logic says plastic will hold less heat than metal and a larger filter is better than a smaller filter, you would still have to show an unbiased test comparing different tubes and filters showing that one flows better based strictly on design and possibly the material it was made from. A large filter with a tight medium isn't going to flow as well as a smaller filter with a looser medium. Track testing is fairly inaccurate unless you have some magical way of controlling the dozens of variables that affect your results every single run.

All of that being said, assuming this Bully intake comes with a small filter like most of the generic ones do, I do plan on replacing the filter that comes with this with something larger like an AEM or Spectre cheapie.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Let me know how this goes.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
S&B is only like $225 new:) I gained .2 with it, after I got rid of my flowmaster muffler:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
The company I work for is "dealmonger" lol, thought that was funny. I know the guy selling those "Bully" items. :p

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's due here tomorrow. I'll get pictures and opinions posted...

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm running one of the generic CAI's in my truck and love it. it gave me the little bit of sound i was after and have noticed an improvement in mpg's too.. all in all a great purchase if you ask me

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Ill be waiting for a review...still on the fence between s&b and fujita tho.
I'm running the Fujita CAI & although the chrome finish on the tube isn't the greatest, it perform's very well & i like the design of the filter!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well a tube is a tube, a box is a box, and a filter is a filter. I don't think there's anything too significant about any of the basic CAI's out there that justifies one costing $125 (S&B) or $150 (Fujita) more than one without a label on it.

I will say: The Injen claims some pretty specialized design elements which result in their claimed higer HP results. So other than the Injen, a CAI in a CAI in my book. (The Banks, Bully Dog, Volant, and some others have some little things that would probably give them a slight advantage over the ones I've listed below.)

For the most part, some might seal better, some might have more gradual bends in the tubing giving better airflow, some of the filters might be superior/larger, some might argue a sealed box is better than a box with weather stripping, some have a "ram air scoop"...but when it comes down to it I bet I could take the fastest trucks on here and put virtually any name brand CAI on it, have you go trounce on it, come back, put a generic one on, and you'd have no idea it was switched. Or, picture all of the tubes, boxes, and filters shown below laying on a garage floor. Which one would you walk up to and pick out of the pile and why?

Like I said, for all intents and purposes, a tube is a tube, a box in a box, and a filter is a filter.

Forgetting about the labels, what's really the difference?:

Fujita:

S&B:

Bully:

K&N:

AFE:

AEM:

Actually, the Afe is the best one of the group above. It has a blue filter and blue is my favorite color.

Lol. they all look the same. Probably work the same to.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the Injen, Bully Dog, Volant, and a couple others have some definite advantages. But the majority basically all serve the same function and probably perform nearly identical.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Pictures added to first post.

Will post pictures of it installed this evening.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there an adapter for the MAF mounting spot? I dont see how that big round opening will work with our sensor.
Yep, there's an adapter.

Install pictures are now in the first post...

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Looks good Moze:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts