Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2005 titan cc with 254,000 miles on it. It's been a great truck, but here recently it has started to burn a lot of oil like a quart every 150-250 miles or so. I haven't found any leaks, I just switched to full synthetic my last oil change which I do myself and add Lucas every oil change. I changed valve covers and pcv valves also. I just ordered my exhaust and tuner from Cajun and I don't want to have it installed if it's something bad and will need a new motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I changed plugs about two months ago and didn't see any oil residue but that could have changed by now. Also I found oil on top of one of the spark plugs but when I changed the valve covers I replaced the boot and it seems to have stopped but would a faulty plug cause that much oil burn. I'm no mechanic just parts changer.

·
Registered
882 Posts
254,000 is good to hear mileage!!! Notice any recent powerloss? Smoke at start up or under hard(er) acceleration?
Switching to synthetic after 254000 miles of dino might not have been a good idea.. Could be bad oil rings due to milege. You could get a compression test done.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
when was the last time you changed the PC valves?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have smoke on start up but at no other time and I just changed the pc valves when I changed the valve covers. I switched to synthetic cause it started doing the Nissan titan tap sound that so many people have and it cured that but I was losing oil before I switched over.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Call around and find out. They'll have to pull all 8 spark plugs. So there is some labor but it shouldn't be too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can get a compression test kit from Harbor Freight for $25. Maybe rent or borrow one from Auto Zone or other store. If you can change a spark plug you can test compression - it takes while to test all the cylinders. Just read up on the procedure (maybe someone here has Titan specific info) and take notes.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Awesome to hear you got 254k out of her. Just taking a step back and looking at it from a distance you have an 11 yr old truck with a quarter of a million miles on her. She doesn't have any leaks but burning an insane amount of oil. It's not a diesel which easily can rack up that amount of miles and more so you are probably looking at some major engine repair on the gasser.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I will look up one on harbor freight and yes it's been a great truck I was going to buy a new truck but I figured I can drop less in this one and know I have a great dependable truck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On my first titan then engine one day started smoking on start up....blue smoke....drove it about 500 miles and it lost about 2 quarts....not leaking....

No smoke at idle only on start up, until I had the wife give it gas while I listened in engine bay...I could hear a faint chatter between certain rpms.....then went to the back of truck and the blue smoke was blowing randomly.it would blow a thick blue cloud every once in a while.

Gave it oil change with Mobil 1 full syn 5w30 with a nissan filter. 3 days later on the way to work out of nowhere oil pressure dropped, engine sounded like marbles in a tin can and it turned out she spun a bearing....I dropped oil pan and there were chunks of metal bigger than a quarter. Happened all of the sudden. Never had a power loss until it blew...she only had 130k

Not meaning to worry you, just thought I'd share

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
On my first titan then engine one day started smoking on start up....blue smoke....drove it about 500 miles and it lost about 2 quarts....not leaking....

No smoke at idle only on start up, until I had the wife give it gas while I listened in engine bay...I could hear a faint chatter between certain rpms.....then went to the back of truck and the blue smoke was blowing randomly.it would blow a thick blue cloud every once in a while.

Gave it oil change with Mobil 1 full syn 5w30 with a nissan filter. 3 days later on the way to work out of nowhere oil pressure dropped, engine sounded like marbles in a tin can and it turned out she spun a bearing....I dropped oil pan and there were chunks of metal bigger than a quarter. Happened all of the sudden. Never had a power loss until it blew...she only had 130k

Not meaning to worry you, just thought I'd share
I had the same issue at 59k.

·
Registered
257 Posts
try going back to dino oil, just a thought it happened when you switched to synthetic, I've heard of vehicles burning oil when switched synth at high mileage so just a thought

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Say whay??? Did Nissan cover it?
No. I took it back in for the original problem of it closing the number 7 spark plug. They found the number 5 closed and a slight knock. I didn't have a chance to remove my GM throttlebody, so they kept it for a week "running tests" to see if the throttle body caused it. I had an external warranty, so I should have been covered. They lied to me about calling the company.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
No. I took it back in for the original problem of it closing the number 7 spark plug. They found the number 5 closed and a slight knock. I didn't have a chance to remove my GM throttlebody, so they kept it for a week "running tests" to see if the throttle body caused it. I had an external warranty, so I should have been covered. They lied to me about calling the company.
That's some Bush League S.H.I.T Nissan pulled then.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
That's some Bush League S.H.I.T Nissan pulled then.
Yep. No claim was started at all. They wanted me to pay 11k for a new engine and when I found a low mileage engine, they told me they could install it for 1500.00. Then 1500 turned to 3000.00 and then 4300.00 after the work was already done.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Yep. No claim was started at all. They wanted me to pay 11k for a new engine and when I found a low mileage engine, they told me they could install it for 1500.00. Then 1500 turned to 3000.00 and then 4300.00 after the work was already done.
Man...I hate service departments that work over a customer.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Effin dirtbags! Had a shop pull that sh*t on me with my Xterra. I told them to get bent, paid someone $200 to fix it, then ran out and got my new Titan so I would never find myself on the side of the road again. Money-grubbing dirtbags....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts