Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2005 titan cc with 254,000 miles on it. It's been a great truck, but here recently it has started to burn a lot of oil like a quart every 150-250 miles or so. I haven't found any leaks, I just switched to full synthetic my last oil change which I do myself and add Lucas every oil change. I changed valve covers and pcv valves also. I just ordered my exhaust and tuner from Cajun and I don't want to have it installed if it's something bad and will need a new motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If I had to guess I would say cracked manifold caused cat to fail. The back pressure sucked some ceramic back into one of the cylinders from the bad cat and now you are burning oil.... Not what you want to hear and I hope I am guessing wrong.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I be able to tell if that happened? And I was able to check 3 of the spark plugs today and no oil checking the others tomorrow. I love my truck and don't want to put my mods on if I need a new motor.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Worn valve guides/seals, damaged pistons, piston walls and piston rings, bad gaskets, cracked head, and excessive sludge build up in engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
don't use synthetic oil in a old engine that never used it. too cleansing. You can try to go back to regular oil and see if it stays in better. You might try 20/50 weight. Good luck

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Also might check inside the valve covers to see if the baffles are all gummed up (bad pcv valves??).

Haven't had to do it myself, just thinking aloud is all...

·
Registered
140 Posts
At that mileage no one should be surprised by a hard part failure and since you changed the easy/common stuff that is what I would suspect.

·
Registered
38 Posts
254K miles is alot of miles. She's probably just worn out.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Compression check, plugs and then see where ur at, u can pull off the intake manifold and look at the ports and see if u have any bad valves, is it smoking bad?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Checked plugs the boot on one was worn outlet ting oil leak onto the plug n it was burning it replaced it and now it's holding oil fine thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've always heard that you shouldn't change to synthetic on a higher-mileage vehicle if it's always used dino oil. As others here have said, you might try switching back to see if it helps.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've always heard that you shouldn't change to synthetic on a higher-mileage vehicle if it's always used dino oil. As others here have said, you might try switching back to see if it helps.
I have switched plenty of 200k mile + vehicles without an issue. The only time there is going to be an issue is if there already was an issue. I personally like that on my 21 year old 220k mile Jeep I can check the oil at the end of it's 3000 mile oil change interval and it's still clean! Engine also looks like new inside and doesn't use a drop or leak any oil. Synthetic oil isn't going to just magically cause an issue that wasn't already there.

Reactions: adzworth

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I had to guess I would say cracked manifold caused cat to fail. The back pressure sucked some ceramic back into one of the cylinders from the bad cat and now you are burning oil.... Not what you want to hear and I hope I am guessing wrong.
what the ****? that's crazy..i have a bad cat and my truck has been burning crazy amounts of oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2005 titan cc with 254,000 miles on it. It's been a great truck, but here recently it has started to burn a lot of oil like a quart every 150-250 miles or so. I haven't found any leaks, I just switched to full synthetic my last oil change which I do myself and add Lucas every oil change. I changed valve covers and pcv valves also. I just ordered my exhaust and tuner from Cajun and I don't want to have it installed if it's something bad and will need a new motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
it is a valve cover problem the covers are not draining oil back fast enough,and flooding the valve stems ,there for oil burn at start up ,covers are on amason for a very good price

·
Registered
187 Posts
don't use synthetic oil in a old engine that never used it. too cleansing. You can try to go back to regular oil and see if it stays in better. You might try 20/50 weight. Good luck
This is what I heard too.
I am in the same boat but opting to stick with regular oil.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,565 Posts
Do not put 20w50 in your engine. Might as well put peanut butter in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts