Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I did my brake mod last week... The metal toggle switch I used was a 5A toggle and it held a current, but would disengage intermittently when switched "off" (broken current). So, in my not so wise choice, decided to get a LED toggle switch, 15A, and replace the 5A toggle. Wired the 15A up and worked like a charm. Then I decided to run the third terminal to ground for the LED light, right? WRONG! I apparently blew a fuse or relay, because now the shifter is in "locked" mode, and I have no brake lights (like as if you tapped into brake pedal wiring instead). Now I checked my fuses, none marked for brake... Visually checked the Big fuses in the IPDM, none appeared broken... Which Relay controls the brakes, or is there a relay under the pedal??? Any help would be greatly appreciated since now I leave the center shifter cover off and use a screw driver to unlock my floor shifter, as well as it is a matter of time before some [email protected] motorist tailgating me decides to go under my rear end...

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok, after scratching my head in frustration, pulling IPDM relays and shuffling them to see if any one is bad, none are bad... So I narrowed it down to the brake relay (all black) attached to the brake pedal... Bought a new one this morning from the stealership for $18.53, and replaced it... BooYah! Back in business... I also double checked the tail lamp fuse and noticed it was a 15A instead of the 10A, I might have thrown the 15A in way back when, or the stealership service fahks did... That would explain how my 15A toggle being grounded fried the relay... Anyways, I replaced that fuse with the correct 10A fuse too... I can put the shifter cover back on and don't need a screwdriver to unlock the shifter... :rofl:

lesson learned:
1) use only 10A fuse where it requires 10A, not larger...
2) Do not ground a live wire that is supposed to stay live... :rofl:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts