Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 05 titan with 70,000 on it. My friend owns the shop, and a different friend works at the dealership where the warranty work is being done. Long story short is they found a clogged up bank 1 cat, and now they are replacing the motor for free due to it sucking up particles from the cat. I know that this has happened in the past, but do I still buy it now, or is this a blessing. A free motor and cats. Any feedback would be awesome.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i love mine..wouldnt trade it for any other truck

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Throw in a new aftermarket all aluminum radiator, power steering hose, transmission cooler hoses, new Bilsteins all the way around, 2008+ spring shackles, new tires, new Frozen rotors & Hawk LTS pads, new parking brake shoes, a new front differential if 4x4, a completely rebuilt (replace all bearings & seals) rear axle with a TruTrac, tell them to keep their crappy OEM crackomatic manifolds w/ disintegrating cats and install DT long tube headers, Uprev & Berk B-pipes w/ cats and you may have a reliable good performing vehicle that you could drive for awhile w/o sinking a bunch of cash into. And you want to replace the factory exhaust w/ crappy crushed Y pipe with an aftermarket catback exhaust before the oem exhaust pipe rusts off and melts the rear harness. And you want to replace the oem check valve rear axle vent with a hose vent cuz the check valve plugs and causes it to blow the axle seals.

·
Registered
233 Posts
lol you are trying to scare the poor man away... "some" 2008+ parts are better than the pre but regardless nothing is that much worse then other brands just do that axle vent thing and drive it. Id say if its a fair deal do it especially since its getting a new motor, just make sure you break it in right and don't let some hobo jump in it trying it out raping it with 0 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They want 16,000. It has a flowmaster exh. K&n intake a 3" leveling kit, new 20" rims and tires, and now a new motor and cats. The body is in great shape as well as the interior. It is badged as a xe but has power windows, locks and power rear window??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is sarcasm like yours that would keep me off of this site. I looked to TITAN TALK for people who like and or love there titan. Each time you post you keep knocking the titan down further and further. In addidition you must have been a mind reader (problem is you sucked at it) saying it is a 2x... when in fact it is a 4x4. To the other readers out here I am sorry for lowering myself to this level, please dont hate me for it.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
It is sarcasm like yours that would keep me off of this site. I looked to TITAN TALK for people who like and or love there titan. Each time you post you keep knocking the titan down further and further. In addidition you must have been a mind reader (problem is you sucked at it) saying it is a 2x... when in fact it is a 4x4. To the other readers out here I am sorry for lowering myself to this level, please dont hate me for it.
You didn't say it was a 4x4, which makes it even more problematic if it has the original front diff since the 04-05 front diffs suck. They tend to eject the half shafts and the case cracks if stressed in 4wd reverse. They improved the front diff in 06. The new front diff costs about $1200 and takes two hours to install. I have been through one front diff rebuild and one front diff replacement with my 04.

You asked for information and I provided it. If you don't want the truth, don't post asking for information. I am sorry I attempted to give you the benefit of my ownership and near daily participation in this forum since 2004.

Please be advised that personal attacks are against forum rules. This is your first and last warning. Any further infractions and I will ban you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i think 16k is too high. I paid near that two years ago for a fully loaded LE with less miles. i'd ask them for 16k with an extended warranty maybe.

yes the 04-05 models have issues. not all of them had issues obviously only some. also the previous owner may have had all the issues fixed for you, so you might not have to worry about that anyways.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I have to ask, you value the truck at 8,000 or so but nada puts it at 19,000 why such a huge difference?

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
This is an interesting thread... It sounds like Bestatchess is trying to steer you away from that particular Titan because you may be stepping into a slew of problems with that one, considering the primary reason it's being sold.. He basically listed about everything that could possibly go wrong with it... My Armada is 2005 rolling up on 90k miles, I've had my Front Differential rebuilt TWO times now (under warranty) due to 2 different pinion seal failures and I've had BOTH exhast manifolds replaced due to their proned cracking problem... Supposedly the new parts are supposed to be improved, only time will tell...

I definitely agree $16k is TOO MUCH for what you could be walking into with that one... I'd offer up $8k as posted and I wouldn't pay $.01 over $10k for that truck, and I'd demand some sort of a buyers warranty with it... You will undoubtedly be stepping into some neglected repairs though, likely at least the shocks, Nissan OEM shocks shouldn't even be used on a baby buggy...

Or you could keep shopping and find a much better Titan for $16k... Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't get an 05 XE for $16k even with a new engine...A base BRAND NEW S (New badging for XE) 4x4 stickers for just under $30k...and people are knocking anywhere from $8-$10k off new trucks from the dealerships with some negotiating...

I'd rather get a brand new one and suck up the extra $50-$60 a month or look elsewhere for an 08+ in that price range, because you will find one.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
If everything else is in average condition, I think $12,500 is a fair price with 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yeah, Bestatchess is an O.G. around here and is very, very helpful. I'm having trouble getting a read on his statements too, but I think moreover he's suggesting that what you state as a deal might not be so (even with a new engine) because the rest of the truck has 70K on it.

I guess, point being, that engine transplants are not 1-to-1. It's the heart of the truck—pretty major surgery, and it might just be a little quirky. Less quirky than a truck that has not been molested.

However, '05s with 70K miles are still going for around $14-18K where I live, so I don't know where he gets that 8K figure. I've got an '05 with 36K and 18 months still left on the factory power-train warranty; I could probably sell it for $16K-$19K, and maybe there is someone else out there looking to sell who would do the same? Would you rather have a truck like mine (maintenance and tasteful mods) or one with unknown history and MAJOR surgery?

If $16K is your price-range, shop around. What you're talking about is not a steal, not by a long shot, but I'd bet someone buys that truck for that price. Whether or not it should be you is a different story.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for all of your posts I am still on the fence with this one...i will have to see exactly what the dealer wants to settle on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts