Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I currently own an 2003 F150 Supercrew FX4. Its fixing to run out of warranty and I have had a few problems with it.

I test drove a new Titan, Ford and Tundra last night and have to say I was quite impressed with the Titans handling. I was least impressed with the Ford I drove a 4x4 5.4l F150 and it was totally horrible. The Tundra has awesome pick up and go but I think it was way overpriced for it nature.

So I think my wife and I have settled on the Titan Pro4x. I just wanted to get alot of opinions. Thing you think that are wrong(weak axles, interior, etc.).

I have spoken with alot of people about the Titan and they just arent giving it high ratings.

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
looking said:
Hello everybody,

I currently own an 2003 F150 Supercrew FX4. Its fixing to run out of warranty and I have had a few problems with it.

I test drove a new Titan, Ford and Tundra last night and have to say I was quite impressed with the Titans handling. I was least impressed with the Ford I drove a 4x4 5.4l F150 and it was totally horrible. The Tundra has awesome pick up and go but I think it was way overpriced for it nature.

So I think my wife and I have settled on the Titan Pro4x. I just wanted to get alot of opinions. Thing you think that are wrong(weak axles, interior, etc.).

I have spoken with alot of people about the Titan and they just arent giving it high ratings.

Thanks
Frank
"Settled" on the Titan just sounds wrong. Have you spoken w/ Titan owners about the Titan, or just alot of people? I have a new Pro 4x, which happens to be my second Titan and my fifth Nissan. It is by far the best bang for the buck available in it's class...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have owned my Titan since 04 and I consistently get asked about the problems that I have had with it. Yes, I had the brake judder but haven't had a problem in two years. Yes I had a rear axle failure which was fixed under warranty and I didn't have a car for 2 days. Other than that, this truck has been great. Sounds mean and it accelerates like a car, will handle very tough terrain and still looks the best in my opinion out of any 1/2 ton truck. The interior is well finished, not gigantic control knobs or fake wood, and has all the amenities of a luxury car if you so desire. For an overall 1/2 ton, I would be hard pressed to say that any one is leaps and bounds better than another. I think the Tundra has great stats, but personally I don't really like the looks and 45K for a truck that is similarly equipped as my titan is absurd. I do like the F-150 and won't take anything from it but I like my Titan's handling and motor far more than the ford.

Just my .02

·
Banned
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am really upset I am having problems with my truck considering its paid off. I would like a new truck without the new payment.

But it really is a tuff comparision between the Tundra and the Titan. They are both really nice trucks. The Ford just seemed to not even be on the same playing field with either one and I'm a Ford truck man. Owned 3 of them.

I did like the bigger disc brakes and stronger axles on the Tundra but dont think I could ever put them to a good use an the Tundra with the six speed tranny had a bit more get up and go. But for the overall value and for what I typical use a truck for (baby hauler) I cant fantom spending the money on it.

I really enjoyed the ride in the Titan but it did seem to have a bit of wind noise.

Any problems with your pro4x rattles, shakes or regrets. I really enjoyed the bucket seats with the center console, I really didnt think I would.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
looking said:
I am really upset I am having problems with my truck considering its paid off. I would like a new truck without the new payment.

But it really is a tuff comparision between the Tundra and the Titan. They are both really nice trucks. The Ford just seemed to not even be on the same playing field with either one and I'm a Ford truck man. Owned 3 of them.

I did like the bigger disc brakes and stronger axles on the Tundra but dont think I could ever put them to a good use an the Tundra with the six speed tranny had a bit more get up and go. But for the overall value and for what I typical use a truck for (baby hauler) I cant fantom spending the money on it.

I really enjoyed the ride in the Titan but it did seem to have a bit of wind noise.

Any problems with your pro4x rattles, shakes or regrets. I really enjoyed the bucket seats with the center console, I really didnt think I would.

Thanks for you help.
you know one of the best features I like when I test drove a Titan? Cupholders that would actually hold more than a 12oz can of soda... No more balancing hot mugs of coffee between my legs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have a Pro4x, but I do have the off road package and big tow. I have had zero problems with my truck. I love this damn truck!! I'm not a Nissan fanboy by any means, but this is a great truck. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I have also taken a peak at the new Tundra. I have to admit it is a nice truck,but I bought and drive a Titan. The Tundra is not just over priced it's over rated. Just take a look at Consumer Report's. They have removed it as a rcomended buy. Why? Because it's having some of the same real world problems other trucks have had. The people you talked to are probably either die hard Toyota people or don't like the "imports". You are not going to get real information from them. If you want to spend more on a truck that will not do more but will cost more go ahead. You'll be spending your money on a name not on the truck. Just picture what you can do to your Titan with the extra cash you will save. I have had my Titan for almost a year and have a tick over 13,000 miles. Not even a hickup. There are far more people that have had the same experience as I, but we're just not as loud. Buy you Titan with confidence and pride, you are no more likely to have a problem truck that with any other brand out there.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I've had my Titan since 05, its been a great truck. The only problem I've had was the brake judder which was fixed almost two years ago and no problems since. I am not brand loyal by any means just look for the best bang for the Buck, and I think the Titan is it, at least for now.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had an '05 and now an '08. As far as the brake issues, yes my '05 had brake judder and it was fixed under warranty. My '05 also had the rear end clunk when switching from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. But there was never a large amount of metal in the diff. fluid nor did the rear end ever fail. The AC drain also leaked and that was fixed under warranty. Other than these three issues, I didn't have any other problems on the truck.

The '08 has much larger brakes and a larger swept area than the Tundra's brakes. Certainly the '08 brakes are way better than the '05 brakes. The clunk is also gone from the '08. The '08 also rides way better and is quieter than the '05. Interior looks much better and more durable.

I too looked at the Tundra before I bought the '08 Titan. For a comparable price, you just got way more in the Titan. Plus I thought the Tundra was a bit sluggish in the handling category even if it did have a bit quicker acceleration.

If you are really worried about parts failing, get the extended warranty and you will sleep better.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i've had my truck since Feb '05 and have 50k on it. It had the brake fix in the 20s and the tranny cooler line fix at about the same time. No issues before that and no issues since. People complain about the interior being cheap, but i don't see that in mine. maybe in the XE or SE, i have the LE, maybe its better, but i have had no issues. It pulls like a dragster and passes everything but the gas station!

·
Registered
978 Posts
when its not pulling like a dragster, i get about 375-390 mile a tank (15-16mpg)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts