Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking at buying a used Titan. It's going to be a light duty work truck, short distances (<30 miles each way tops).

I don't want to spend too much and a lot of them in my price range are up there in miles. One in particular is 190k one owner.

How many miles are too many miles for these trucks?

I've been doing some reading and see the weak points are the diffs, radiator, break shudder, and other more smaller items.

Thanks for any insight you can provide. I'm looking to spend ~ 8-12k.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A bigger item are the cracked manifolds, which you'll find on a lot of Titans. Go aftermarket if you're replacing exhaust headers, otherwise the dealership will cost you big $ for oem replacements.

How up-to-date are the owner's service records?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for input! I decided I don't want to spend 12k, more like 9k.

I looked at the truck with 193k last night, it has cracked manifold(s) but a side from that is darn clean. Service records from day one to current! Original owner. The thing has really been maintained well. It's had a new ECM, front end, recent new shocks/struts/tires. New heater. Interior is all but perfect. Hard toneua cover that matches the truck (not sure if this will be a help or a problem for me, since I have a mini-trailer to tow my tools and plan to use the bed for materials).

I drove it for about a 1/2 hour in city and highway. Transmission is normal, engine is powerful. Gauges all read typical. There's a lot to be said for an original owner vehicle. It's very obvious this owner took very good care of the truck. I am just having a problem swallowing 193k miles. Asking price is 10,500.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,540 Posts
Manifolds are an expensive fix. $$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got jba long tubes for 450 bucks from summit. the ****ty part is the tuning is more expensive than that

I'm at 231k or so now on mine. Still going strong. Buying a vehicle is a roll of the dice anyway so who knows. They all break something at some point.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I noticed your username and am assuming you're in the Portland area. I just bought a 2005 Crew Cab, but I'll be selling my 2004 King Cab LE 4x4 (with Leer canopy) with right around 68k miles on it. If you're looking for a king cab it's a great truck. The only "common" problem it has is the fuel pressure sending unit needs to be replaced (easy fix, fuel pressure gauge stuck on High). If you're interested, PM me for more info.

Anyway, sorry for the sales pitch. As to how many miles are too much, it really depends on the car. Like you said about the 193k-mile rig you looked at, if it's a one-owner with pages of service records and it looks like they took great care of it, that might be better than finding one with only 93k miles that wasn't properly maintained. I bought both of mine used and waited until I found a private party that looked like they properly cared for their vehicles. It's also nice seeing their home and other cars to get an idea of how they take care of their stuff.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am (relatively) not too far from you - located in Northern CA - I bought one in October of 2 years ago - 102k miles for 10k, though its a 2WD

Biggest issue (that has been mentioned here) is the rear ends and manifolds - good thing for you, manifolds arent as expensive since you can go aftermarket - Look up Cajun on here - best source for whole exhaust system replacements from the manifolds on back. MUCH cheaper than going to the dealership with an OEM replacement

Personally, for what you are looking to spend, you should be able to do better on miles

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input.

I ended up with a 2 wheel drive 2006 CC w/ 120k miles. LE with navigation, upgraded tow package (mirrors/gauges/gears), bed extender, and overall good condition. Paid 12k out the door from a Honda dealer. BB is 12,100 private party so I don't feel like I got a great deal, but I feel I got a fair deal.

It drives smoother and is in better mechanical condition than any of the other private party trucks I've test driven over the last couple weeks. And, it's white which is a plus for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts