Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have that annoying buzzing coming from underneath the dash on the driver's side that only shows itself at certain rpm's when the motor is under load, then i have the cure. I spent about 10 hours and almost tearing the dash completely out, but I found it. Yes success is bliss!!!!!!

Now i will share my knowledge with my fellow titan owners. I will try to explain it, it is a fairly simple fix. I will describe the area to the best of my ability, but if you need pictures, I'll try to do that this evening and post them up.

I know this is my first post on here, but i could not just go on without you guys knowing.

Anyways, enough blabbing and on to the fix.

1. Pop your hood
2. Locate your stearing column under the hood.
3. Just a little to the right of the column and kinda below it, you will see
a metal box, semi-bolted to your firewall. It appears the metal box
provides impact protection for you brake lines. But if you found the
metal box, that is your culprit. All you need to do is take a
screwdriver and kinda pry back away from your firewall a little bit.
I would recommend prying back on the top and the bottom of the little
box, but to pry the bottom you will need to get under your truck. If
you will notice on the box i'm talking about there are bolt eyelets
with rubber bushings at the top and the bottom of this box but there
is no hole into the firewall for this box to be bolted to the firewall. the
box is only bolted on the left and right side of the box, leaving the top
and bottom to vibrate against your firewall to create that annoying
horrible sound that literaly drives you crazy.

I had to do some extensive searching to find this little bastard. I pulled the driver's seat out as well and had the wife drive the truck while i laid in the floorboard with a stethascope. I would have never found it if i hadn't used the scope. But if you guys have any questions feel free to ask or email me. And if anyone needs pictures i'll try and put them up this evening while i'm putting my dashboard back in.

Cheers!!
Les Lambert
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
:lol: You post up something like this with no video of the diagnosis procedure! That's a Youtube Pullitzer right there! :rofl:

Glad you found it, but I think I would have just lived with it! :rofl:

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
That's pretty dang impressive!!! Nice job!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, video would have been good, then you could have seen how truly aggravated this constant buzzing noise made me. It started probably a year ago and i would just turn up the radio to drowned it out. But my wife loves to talk going down the highway so to continue drowning out the buzzing noise i had to drown her out to which would lead to her drowning me out at the houe :crying: Wow talk about a chain of events :huh:

Hey DeadRiver, i to initially thought the buzzing was coming from the instrument panel. since i found out it was coming from the other side of the firewall i could then see why it was so hard to pin point the noise, the firewall allowed it to become acoustic to the interior of the cab. (Hmm, i hope that just made sense?, Sure sounded better in my head).

Oh and for everyone else the buzzing will occur at and between 1500 and 2200 rpm's. i fogot and left that out of my initial post.

·
Premium Member
75,682 Posts
I'll check it out anyway... I thought it was the clear plastic covering the gauge cluster, there seems to be a sticky backed foam piece hanging out on both sides... i gave it a tap and it stopped for a while.

chicks always wanna talk when driving, i prefer good driving music..

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
DeadRiver said:
I'll check it out anyway... I thought it was the clear plastic covering the gauge cluster, there seems to be a sticky backed foam piece hanging out on both sides... i gave it a tap and it stopped for a while.

chicks always wanna talk when driving, i prefer good driving music..
LOUD driving music for this ^^^^.......... www.tech12volts.com

·
Premium Member
75,682 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
LOUD driving music for this ^^^^.......... www.tech12volts.com
haha dude she totally caught on the other day. we didn't have our son in the titan (i almost typed car wtf? was i thinking!?) and i had the RF cranked.. as we're driving i think she was saying something, but i couldn't hear.. so i turned down the RF and let her speak "how loud do you think it's gonna be in here with that new sub thing you won" :cheers: :upsidedow

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
DeadRiver said:
haha dude she totally caught on the other day. we didn't have our son in the titan (i almost typed car wtf? was i thinking!?) and i had the RF cranked.. as we're driving i think she was saying something, but i couldn't hear.. so i turned down the RF and let her speak "how loud do you think it's gonna be in here with that new sub thing you won" :cheers: :upsidedow
:rofl: Your proper response: "Well, let me put it this way... If I turn it to 3 on the volume dial, we're gonna need a Simpson 5-point harness to keep the baby from bouncing off the ceiling!!!" :rofl:

·
Premium Member
75,682 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
:rofl: Your proper response: "Well, let me put it this way... If I turn it to 3 on the volume dial, we're gonna need a Simpson 5-point harness to keep the baby from bouncing off the ceiling!!!" :rofl:
oh, i just said "if it's too loud there is plenty of room in the bed" :jester:

that's the one thing i keep a lid on though, nothing too loud with little man in the truck... i also keep the tunes g rated as best i can.. parenting whew. sorry snoop, we're gonna have to skip you today :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts