Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Titans - I installed an Airaid CAI yesterday with no issues. BUT, after I started the truck up, I noticed my dash lights flicker and my turn signal indicators do not light up. The flickering does not seem to go away no matter how warmed up the truck is.

I did disconnect the negative end of the battery while doing the install and did NOT do a ECU reset...

Any ideas on what it could be and how I can fix?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I'd start by checking everything for pinched wires or loose connections. Maybe you inadvertently knocked a connection loose or some such. It sure sounds like an intermittent short or a low voltage situation, both of which could be connector or pinched wire. Check the fuses on those circuits, as well. Once you eliminate the easy stuff, it gets tough to run it down. Grab a multimeter and spend the time tracing circuits so you can figure out where the short is. Sucks, but it's the only way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd start by checking everything for pinched wires or loose connections. Maybe you inadvertently knocked a connection loose or some such. It sure sounds like an intermittent short or a low voltage situation, both of which could be connector or pinched wire. Check the fuses on those circuits, as well. Once you eliminate the easy stuff, it gets tough to run it down. Grab a multimeter and spend the time tracing circuits so you can figure out where the short is. Sucks, but it's the only way.
Thanks for immediate feedback! Yeah, it has me confused since literally all I unhooked was the neg on the battery and the MAF for the intake. Aside from that, everything else seemed cut and dry. Initially, I wondered if it had something to do with the fact the battery was unhooked for around 3 hours... (I decided to install when it was easily -7 wind chill and needed a few warmup breaks) or maybe closing the hood knocked something loose?

Either way, the turn signal instrument light does not come on (the exterior signals work) and the odometer flickers like a short. I'm thinking that I see the flicker when I hit a bump as well...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Make sure your battery is hooked back up snugly. Easy mistake, especially when you're cold and in a hurry to get back inside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure your battery is hooked back up snugly. Easy mistake, especially when you're cold and in a hurry to get back inside.
I went out and checked everything that was touched and some things maybe accidentally bumped... no luck.
Couldn’t imagine unhooking the neg would blow anything.. guess I’ll keep poking around. I just want to avoid a dealer visit altogether.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Negative may not be making good contact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Checked that connection as well. Someone suggested maybe a ground came loose? But I don’t know if there are grounds in that general area...
I think I recalled that there are 3 around the washer fluid but not positive.
Looking for a diagram to see...

still avoiding a dealer visit...

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Since the only issue you're having is dash lights, I'm leaning away from a ground, as that should affect multiple items. My gut says there's a pinched wire or loose connector somewhere in the neighborhood of the area you were working in to install the CAI. Basically, somewhere between the radiator and firewall, likely on the driver's side. But that's just a guess.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Basically, somewhere between the radiator and firewall, likely on the driver's side. But that's just a guess.
So the entire engine bay? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: HoosierTKM

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I said likely on the driver's side ?. I just don't know what he janked around with under the hood while he was under there. I'd be willing to bet there is either a wire caught between two things it shouldn't be, or a half-dosconnected connector somewhere in there causing this issue. Wiring, as crazy and difficult as it can be to trace, only works pretty much in one fashion, and diagnosis is usually pretty easy. Finding the point of failure, not so much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I said likely on the driver's side ?. I just don't know what he janked around with under the hood while he was under there. I'd be willing to bet there is either a wire caught between two things it shouldn't be, or a half-dosconnected connector somewhere in there causing this issue. Wiring, as crazy and difficult as it can be to trace, only works pretty much in one fashion, and diagnosis is usually pretty easy. Finding the point of failure, not so much.
I hear ya! That’s why Im so frustrated as I went out of my way NOT to touch anything other than what needed to me moved/removed. I even hammer fisted the dash a few times! I did find a few connectors between the Airaid box and washer fluid but nothing seemed loose.. but, to your point I will check and diagnose. I just wanted to avoid unhooking it all and redoing just to see, but I guess that is necessary.
I’ve read posts on here with people getting $1000+ invoices from a dealer for clusters, ECM, etc...

Thankfully, everything on the outside works... just not indicated inside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As an update, I gave in and hit the dealer. After about 2.5 hours of waiting, they found a burnt wire and the cluster has to be replaced. Looking to be 1100-1600 (my guess based on other TT posts).
I have a really good extended warranty so hopefully that gets covered..

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Ouch. Sounds like maybe while you were in there, the negative cable intermittently reconnected with the battery terminal or something? Or maybe just a coincidence? Odd, though. Hope warranty covers you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has to be a coincidence. An awful one. I treated the truck like it was made of a rare diamond when I did it! Also, something to do with dimmer toggle that is attached to the cluster? Can’t simply replace the toggle as it’s one piece.

I’ll give the final verdict after my guy yells at the warranty a few times who will fight it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts