Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about adding a CAI to my baby. The only thing is, I don't want to change my exhaust. I love the stock tone and just don't want anything louder. I had exhaust on my last truck and the loud note at crusing speed just killed me. Are there any gains or improvements to be found by doing the CAI without the exhaust, or do I need to do both? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
The motor has to breathe in and out, so unless you do something on the exhaust end, you're wasting your money.

·
Super Moderator
162,298 Posts
Air box mod. :D Cheap, and can't hurt.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Adding the air box mod or a CAI will make it louder....especially at WOT....so if you like quite...might want to re-think....just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
682 Posts
just get a cai and exhaust and wear ear plugs

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats how I started. Its sounds badass at WOT but driving around town it feels like you lose a little on the bottom end , and also when you go to pass someone it doesn't feel as responsive like it has a flat spot. I liked the sound it made. But daily driving I did not like the way it performed. I later got my exhaust. Putting on the CAI makes a huge difference over the stock airbox with an aftermarket exhaust. If you want a quiet exhaust that performs get a Gibson. My buddy has one and he's always pulling a trailer and it sounds like stock on the inside. On the outside it has a nice rumble to it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
SmokeEater829 said:
I've been thinking about adding a CAI to my baby. The only thing is, I don't want to change my exhaust. I love the stock tone and just don't want anything louder. I had exhaust on my last truck and the loud note at crusing speed just killed me. Are there any gains or improvements to be found by doing the CAI without the exhaust, or do I need to do both? Thanks for any help.
A Cai will increase horsepower with or without an exhuast. Most of the power will be felt or seen in the mid to upper rpm range. If you don't want an exhaust that is fine, I just recommend getting the 2 degree timming advance done too because it will help dramatically with the big dip in the rpm range thus increasing power.

·
Registered
299 Posts
SmokeEater829 said:
you should check out the Magna Flow exhaust sound real nice.not loud nice and deep smooth sound;it only get loud but smooth when you get on it;you know some gas;hittin;flow it;you get the picture.peace. but the Magna Flow is nice

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't just do the intake. But I did the intake and muffler swap and that was worth it. Still reasonable and not real loud. But you can feel the gain.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
im running just a CAI (aem bruteforce). I definately feel a difference even with the stock exhaust over the stock setup . Also my stock exhaust got a lot louder after i put the CAI on (drones more). Sure putting an exhaust would help alot (makes engine "breath out" easier) but even with the stocker there is a difference in performance you can feel.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I recommend putting the exhaust first then the CAI. Whats the point of adding more air in the engine if you cant get it out?

·
Registered
78 Posts
But it should'nt hurt to install a CAI alone would it? I just got the S&B intake in the mail and I really can't wait to install it. ( I'm still shopping around for an exhaust)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
MARKSOWN96 said:
But it should'nt hurt to install a CAI alone would it? I just got the S&B intake in the mail and I really can't wait to install it. ( I'm still shopping around for an exhaust)
No, it shouldnt hurt, I say that because im more of a high performance guy. I dont see why it would hurt if you put it on without the exhaust.

·
Registered
245 Posts
cai alone is just fine. no need to do exhaust unless you want more power, and more grumble. no, 2* advance timing is NOT necessary. you may want to check in on that, but I think you will need to start using 91+ octane gas if you decide to advance the timing. thats what the infiniti qx56 uses....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not to be too much of a noob but when you guys say exhaust are you speaking of a muffler swap or a complete exhaust system? On my old Tacoma I swapped out the stock muffler for a flowmaster and it seemed to work pretty well with my K&N filter.

Is that a viable option with the Titan or is the full exhaust the way to go?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well i also would like to just put a CAI but with the 2008 it already has dual exhaust. I wouldnt mind doing a muffler swap would that combo help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Geezus_Aach said:
cai alone is just fine. no need to do exhaust unless you want more power, and more grumble. no, 2* advance timing is NOT necessary. you may want to check in on that, but I think you will need to start using 91+ octane gas if you decide to advance the timing. thats what the infiniti qx56 uses....
To reap the benifits of a CAI you need to either do a muffler swap or add a new "Cat back system". The 2* timing advance is a nice "cheap" mod. It takes care of the rpm drag around 2500 to 3200 RPM. You do not have to use 91+ octane. Not sure why you would think that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Like most folks I added the CAI first becuase it was a low cost, easy bolt-on mod that could make a difference. I likes the change it gave me in sound. It wasn't loud cruzing around, just a little deeper. You could really tell a difference when you would get into it on an on-ramp or something.
I don't know if this is any relation or not but after I added my CAI without doing any other mods, I cracked both exhaust manifolds. I suspect that too much air was coming in and it couldn't get out. That and the stock exhaust manifold is a poor design.

·
Registered
622 Posts
powdercoat said:
Like most folks I added the CAI first becuase it was a low cost, easy bolt-on mod that could make a difference. I likes the change it gave me in sound. It wasn't loud cruzing around, just a little deeper. You could really tell a difference when you would get into it on an on-ramp or something.
I don't know if this is any relation or not but after I added my CAI without doing any other mods, I cracked both exhaust manifolds. I suspect that too much air was coming in and it couldn't get out. That and the stock exhaust manifold is a poor design.
It seems unlikely that your cracked manifold was caused by a CAI. Poor design or being over torqued is a recipe for failure though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.