Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to show some pictures of this mod installed. The only different outside of the included parts used was 75lb tensile strength outdoor rated zip ties. They also have a heat tolerance of 185F. I also got some pictures of the inside dampener strut used for the tailgate assist-it's on the passengers side. Thanks again Cajun for another quality product on my Titan:big_grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
EXcellent! This will be my first mod, but it's too damn cold right now. On that last pic, I've never seen it threaded through that hole before. Was it difficult removing the stock valve or nipple, whatever it is? What happened when you got it off? Did you wait for the axle to cool down when you did this?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You said "nipple".......Hahaha.......errr..... anyways, back on track here......My T turned 5436 mileage over the holidays, so I took it in to my dealer for service. This was my 6th oil/filter change, along with my second set of transfer case and both differential services. I followed factory break-in to the letter, and changed fluids multiple times to make sure I got out any break-in metal particles and such. Mobil One is used for the engine oil/filter and diffs, but factory fluid for the transfer case and transmission. Yea, I'm kind of a stickler for taking care of my T....Anyways, while I was in there, the Master Tech who takes care of my truck put this on. He followed Cajun's instructions that comes with it. I was under the lift watching and drinking coffee.......:big_grin: The rear axle was cool to the touch when this was preformed. The rear factory axle vent is not hard to take out, you just need to go slow and take your time because the treads in the axle are easy to cross-thread. Nothing happened when taking out the factory vent, not even any slight hissing so there was no pressure in my rear axle. The new vent part from Cajun goes in there just fine. The Master Tech used some Teflon sealer on the threads of the new vent and put in it and tightened by hand. Then, working from the new vent attachment point outwards, he just started routeing the vent line and found that spot near the rear bumper to feed it through to the tail-lamp assembly area. Cajun's instructions tell you this is the way to do it. The beauty of doing it on the lift is since the truck is in the air, the line was routed with the rear suspension at full droop, so it could be ran "taught" since that was the maximum amount of slack needed.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You said "nipple".......Hahaha
Lol! Doesn't take much hahaha

My T turned 5436 mileage over the holidays, so I took it in to my dealer for service. This was my 6th oil/filter change
Wait, 6 oil changes in 5K miles? I thought it was once every 3K or so? I also heard that 3K is a myth, that with these synthetic oils it's really more like 5 or 6K between changes. Mobil 1 synthetic is my brand of choice, and I follow the 3K mile rule.

I was under the lift watching and drinking coffee....
That sounds like me, I love to get in there and see my truck, always love shop stuff, but mostly I love to watch my mechanic :big_grin:

he just started routeing the vent line and found that spot near the rear bumper to feed it through to the tail-lamp assembly area...
Yeah, I saw a write up somewhere on here about running it behind the tail light, great pics, but the guy used a small filter on the end of the hose. Is that some sort of filter on yours? Here's the pic of the filter I found on the forum...

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just used the filter that came in Cajuns kit. It's smaller than the one in your picture and fits very well. I wrote down the part number so every 30K or so I'll pop off the rear tail lamp and put a fresh one on there.

Sidebar on the maintenance:

-I bought the truck brand new, it had 10 miles on it when I took delivery.

-In the owners manual, in the very back on the very last page (the page is not numbered, go figure) is a specific "break-in" schedule. I followed that to a T. (See what I did there:big_grin:)

-I had the "Big 3" (Things I learned from this forum) done to the truck with the Master Tech using CONSULT before I even drove it off the lot. They are: 2 degree timing advance, AC charged to actual full (it's very common these trucks come from the factory with only 80% AC charge) and idle set to 600 rpms. You wouldn't think this stuff would make a difference, but it does.

-I also had the factory Camber bolts installed and a proper alignment done. Nissan stopped putting them in at the factory sometime in late 2006 or so.

-These trucks have a pretty unique ECU, in that it's very adaptable. Even more so in the FFV trucks. Again, information I learned from on here and the Master Tech. With that, I had him use CONSULT and wipe clean any fuel trim tables stored in the truck, so that while driving it, it would "learn" how I drive and set fuel/ignition accordingly as it "learns". I also used premium gas (91 here in Michigan in most places) since day one so the chance of the ECU pulling timing as it learns would be reduced, if any at all. Over time this also makes a difference.

-First Oil change was at 186 miles. Used factory fill and factory oil filter. Oil was dark, but not black. You could smell fuel in it too, since the truck is still setting up proper fuel trim, it was still running probably a bit rich. Small amount of "grit" or particulate in oil also.

-Second oil change using factory fill and factory oil filter at 680 miles. Oil less dark than first oil change, hardly any fuel smell and no discernible particulate seen or felt in the oil.

-Third oil change at 1200 miles on the nose. Break-in was officially over. Oil was fairly clean, slightly dark amber color. No fuel smell. No particulates felt or seen, but at this point you'd need oil analysis to know exactly. Switched to my favorite oil-Mobil One full synthetic (5w30) and Mobil One oil filter M1-110.

-1200 miles. Front Diff. fluid change and housing cleaned out. Oil looked/felt/smelled good. Changed to Mobil One full synthetic 75w90.

-1200 miles. Rear Diff. fluid changed. Now this surprised both the Master Tech and myself, as the oil was very dark, some particulate was felt when rubbing the oil in your hands and smelled somewhat "hot". I've never had any of the rear diff. noise or issues, so our only guess is the ring and pinion were set really "tight" from the factory assembly (whomever built my rear axle, DANA or Nissan). Cleaned out the diff. housing, gears looked good, and no noticeable lopsided wear between drive and coast could be seen. It was just surprising that at only 1200 miles (following break-in mind you) it was this dirty. Switched to Mobil One 75w140 full synthetic.

-1200 miles. Transfer Case fluid changed. Looked and smelled fine, but I did it anyways as I used 4wd a few times. Filled with genuine Nissan Matic D ATF.

-Checked the Transmission Fluid. It still smelled "sweet" and was a very nice reddish/pink color. I left that alone.

-Fourth oil change at 2700 miles. Used Mobil One oil and filter.

-Every oil change the factory Air Filter was replaced as well, so this makes number four on the air filter.

-Fifth oil change at 3233 miles. Used Mobil One oil and filter. At this point a trend was developing that the oil being drained increasingly was looking and smelling new, so I started to extend out the frequency from here.

-INJEN intake installed by me at this point, so I'll being changing the AMZOIL filter that comes with it every 10-15K or so.

-Sixth oil change at 5436 miles. I also had the both diffs and the transfer case done again. Mobil One oil and filter in the engine, Mobil One in the Diffs, Nissan Matic D ATF in the Transfer case. All old oils from the diffs looked great, as the transfer case. Transmission, Power Steering and Brake fluid looked/smelled great as well. Engine oil looked really good too. At this point, I'm satisfied that everything is well broken and operating correctly. So the next fluid change I will extend out to changing at 8k or 10k miles, depending on how the dip stick "reads".

-I also follow Nissan's "Severe Operating Conditions" maintenance schedule.

Now, do you "need" to do all this? Absolutely not. I just do it for my own piece of mind. Besides, everybody's got to have a hobby right?, Mine seems to be excessively changing fluids on my T....... I also like to talk to the pretty cashier and check out the NISMO 370Z still sitting in the showroom. I swear that car keeps trying to seduce me to take it home (It's also got the manual transmission!) everytime I'm in there. Anyways............

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wellllll sh*t. I've always been a huge stickler for maintenance as well, but I haven't even ripped the plastic off the manual. Truck was brand new, but instead of being delivered to my local dealership, they had it driven from 200 miles away. Since then I've just been driving it and waiting for the 3K mark. Dammmmit. I have a hyper-busy job, just went through the three-holiday BS with family all over this town for the past three months, and bought the truck as a result from a run-in at a construction site (neither the construction company nor Progressive would pay for it...side note: Progressive sucks). So I've been at full-throttle for months. Well I hope everything's fine, I'll have to schedule my appointment.

I just used the filter that came in Cajuns kit. It's smaller than the one in your picture and fits very well. I wrote down the part number so every 30K or so I'll pop off the rear tail lamp and put a fresh one on there.
Sweet, so I can get a kit on here :) I was going to get the hoses and filter at the local shop, but I'd rather buy from a supporting vendor here.

I also like to talk to the pretty cashier and check out the NISMO 370Z still sitting in the showroom. ..
Hahaha! I'm the same way with my mechanic at my shop. I wish I could stick with them for the T but they say I'll void my warranty. I've looked into this and I've read that as long as you go to an ASE certified mechanic and he uses Nissan parts (or like-quality). I hope I haven't voided my warranty by skipping this break-in maintenance. I will need that warranty if my headers crack before so many miles...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should be fine. Nissan's warranty stuff is real hit and miss from what I've gathered, so just take care of of your T the best way you can either yourself or by folks you trust. My dealer is fantastic, but I've done alot of business with them, so that helps me quite a bit. They serviced my 2014 Titan, and I've bought from them three brand new Nissans in the past 2 years-2014 Maxima SV, 2015 Rouge SL AWD and now my 2015 Titan PRO-4X.

My truck came from West Virginia. Dealer put it on a flat bed to Michigan since I told them I didn't want anybody to drive it, I wanted as little miles on it as possible since I was buying new.

Here is the Cajun kit(top left):

Products

Great price and Cajun is fantastic to deal with.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've been going to my guys for almost a decade, wouldn't trust my trucks to anyone else, but this is brand new and thought I had to go to the dealership. Anyway I opened the manual and under the maintenance schedule, mine starts at 5000....no mention at all about a break-in period. I'm relieved but puzzled, was it broken in when I bought it? I read somewhere online about a "micro-break in". And I'm the same away about ANYONE driving my trucks...it doesn't happen, unless it's my mechanic. When I was going to buy the T, the dealership said there was one about 200 miles away, I told them I wanted it carried in, not driven (my first truck, a Frontier, was driven to me...over 400 miles! I was p*ssed!). They said the Titan would be brought in on a carrier, yet there it had been driven as well. Oh well, what can you do? I loved it at first sight, waited 12 years to get it. I started out with a 2001 Frontier Crew Cab, then a 2004 Xterra 4x4, now I have my Titan :) I love Nissan

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mobil1 syn and filter... every 10,000. Tried and true. (1997 Hardbody w/ 150k) (2007 Frontier w/ 140k) $hit looks like gold going in and coming out.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
thats a lot of oil changes.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Reactions: REDRUM

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mobil1 syn and filter... every 10,000. Tried and true. (1997 Hardbody w/ 150k) (2007 Frontier w/ 140k) $hit looks like gold going in and coming out.
Damn, I know every 3K is excessive and unnecessary, that 5 or 6K is more appropriate, but 10K?? I believe you but damn to let it go that long would make me queasy lol

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Damn, I know every 3K is excessive and unnecessary, that 5 or 6K is more appropriate, but 10K?? I believe you but damn to let it go that long would make me queasy lol
Mobil 1 Extended Life oil is good for 15k.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The issue isn't the oil, it's the filter because it breaks down and stops picking up particles that are then recirculated into the engine.

As far as the Mobil 1 full synthetic many people have had the filters tested at 10k and have had no issues, but I don't plan on trying to to the warranted 15k. 10k lasts me almost 8 months and I order the oil and filter off Amazon for $45 so not too shabby.

The first 10k made me nervous, but after seeing the oil afterwards I've been fine with it. Will never go back for any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I get my oil and a K&N filter from the local shop, totals me about $50 and I do it myself (funny how it costs me more this way). Haven't done anything on this truck yet, though. Mr. Perseverance, sorry to jack the thread lol

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
My brother has been doing 15k oil changes in his Chevy Colorado, which now has over 200k on it. He does, however, change out the filter and "top off" to replace the oil lost in the old filter at 7500mi, so he avoids any filter issues that way. Seems to work well for him. I'm doing 5k oil changes with Mobil 1 and their filter. Need to check Amazon, as I've been buying on sale locally but it's time for an oil change and nobody has it on sale.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I get my oil and a K&N filter from the local shop, totals me about $50 and I do it myself (funny how it costs me more this way). Haven't done anything on this truck yet, though. Mr. Perseverance, sorry to jack the thread lol
It's all good! The Break-In I spoke of earlier is in your owners manual, not your maintenance manual. It's all the way in the very back on the last page.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
The issue isn't the oil, it's the filter because it breaks down and stops picking up particles that are then recirculated into the engine.

As far as the Mobil 1 full synthetic many people have had the filters tested at 10k and have had no issues, but I don't plan on trying to to the warranted 15k. 10k lasts me almost 8 months and I order the oil and filter off Amazon for $45 so not too shabby.

The first 10k made me nervous, but after seeing the oil afterwards I've been fine with it. Will never go back for any of my vehicles.
Yeppers! I By the Mobile 1 10K filters and change it all at that point. I too an not gonna take any chances and push it to the 15k mark.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts