Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cajun has always had the JBA shorty package with HF cats but the cats are not CARB complaint. I have heard FMS performance in CA is using Valina cats and I did a little research myself and found that the Valina cat is the only universal weld on cat available that is carb compliant, not that I didn't trust the guys who posted before. How this converter is legal and companies like Magnaflow, Eastern Catalytic do not offer anything is beyond me, politics I guess. I know absolutely nothing about the durability of this cat especially mounted to the JBA shorty but it's the only option for Ca guys. I have a call into Car Tex the producer of the Valina cats as I type and if I can work a deal out with these guys Cajun will have a Carb legal JBA shorty available soon for you guys in Ca. move over FMS!! This will likely not be a bolt on application as the cats are too long to fit stock bpipe so these will have to be fabricated to the stock bpipes to fit. Any exhaust shop should be able to tackle that in a few mins. I also have a heavy metal non high flow cat I can use in the bpipes as a option for guys who do not want the HF cats I use now. I will keep the forum posted on the progress.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Maybe Cajun, with their mad skills, should produce a "plug and play" kit. Stage Cali.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe Cajun, with their mad skills, should produce a "plug and play" kit. Stage Cali.
Being a one man operation on days off from full time job I'm doing good to stay a float with what I have now. We shall see what kinda of a package Cajun can come up with if Car Tex works with me on this.:big_grin:

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Woohoo!!! :D My 08 needs them!

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys having to do some more research on these. I called CarTex the manufacturer of the Valina cat that FMS Performance uses in California on the JBA shorties and talked to a guy named Victor. Victor states that there are universal cats that are Carb approved but they can NOT be welded to a manifold or header and be Carb compliant on the Titan. He was aware of the EPA form that FMS gives the customers and stated that does not mean these are legal. When I call FMS the guy there said they do it all the time and the cat was legal on the Titan according to the EPA form they print out for the customers but he would have to get "Frank" to call me and explain why.....Frank never called me back. I'm in limbo with this so when I get a little time the next few days I will try to get a call into Carb. I have heard and read they are and not so many times I don't know what to believe. Lol

·
Registered
284 Posts
Night owl

Ive talked to Frank, and same thing, assured me the setup was CARB Legal. Also, I took all the specs, websites, etc, and sent it over to my local auto shop who does SMOG testing as well, and they said they would have no problem installing the Valina Cats and JBA shortys and smogging it as legal. To be honest, I would expect FMS to be a little on the shady side, but I know the guys here by me are on the up and up and have been 110% honest about the legality of it with me since day 1, even helping me with the research.

From what I understand, LEGALLY, since the Valina cats are labeled as "Universal" they are only technically supposed to be used for secondary cats, as if you read into the EOD, they are labeled as "Installation Type: Underbody" whereas all of the other cats, such as the infamous Eastern Catalytic one, are labeled as "Installation Type: Direct Fit"

It all boils down to the very fine print, really.

Good luck though, would love to support a vendor on here rather than FMS

Reactions: nightowl

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Frank from FMS still has not called me back so I will give him a call tomorrow. I just want him to show me exactly where in the form FMS had me print out where it's legal for those cats to be welded to the shorties or manifolds. Victor from CarTex was very adament and firm on saying the Valina cat was not. I just want my ducks in a row before I get into the CARB stuff...lol

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
It sounds like even if Frank says its legal, itll probably be up to the guy doing the actual Smog if he wants to be nice, or he can say no, and to "read the fine print" that is really just a grey area...

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like even if Frank says its legal, itll probably be up to the guy doing the actual Smog if he wants to be nice, or he can say no, and to "read the fine print" that is really just a grey area...
My feelings exactly. I still hope to get in touch with the guy to hear his explaination on how the Valina cats are carb legal. I still will have to hear it from the carb folks to believe it. I just do not want to sell a item and the customer get burned on the smog check.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there even a way to get in touch with CARB to set it all straight?
I plan on it when I get time. Super busy with bpipe orders right now with tax returns and all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Any guess what the gains would be with these HFCs and shortys? Man, it would be ideal if you could offer these already welded to the shortys. One step at a time..

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch

·
Registered
11 Posts
I need some asap or am i just gonna have to go stage2. Living in California sucks sometimes.

Edit: Went ahead with the stage2 purchase today. Cant wait to get this set up on the truck and it tuned in. Thanks Cajun Bpipes

·
Registered
27 Posts
So nightowl....what's the latest? I'm having serious issues here. Cats & manifolds are shot and my trucks dead in the water. I appreciate the work you're doing to help us CA guys out

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You guys here about the big debachable between the EPA and SEMA?? If the epa has their way lots of aftermarket performance companies that deal with exhaust or anything that alters emissions will be banned. Check it out. I dont have a link but motor trend has been covering it and im sure a google search will yield tons info. Headlines say stuff like EPA coming for your racecar. It has to do with the clean air act

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So nightowl....what's the latest? I'm having serious issues here. Cats & manifolds are shot and my trucks dead in the water. I appreciate the work you're doing to help us CA guys out
I was out of town this past week and did not get a chance to follow up on this. Give me a few days and I will try to see what the Air Resource Board has to say about these Valina cats.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well Gentlemen....here we go. I too had a problem with my truck starting with the cracked manifolds. I believe this also led to my CATS failing and breaking into pieces. After hearing what everyone else was going through and learning the dealer wanted about $4500 to complete the replacement with the OEM manifolds/cats I attempted to save some $$ and opened up my CATS with a custom CAT gutter found in the pry bar section at the auto parts store :p I also replaced my fuel pump as I sensed I was having some issues there as well based off of fuel pressure with a custom gauge installation a buddy helped me setup. At that point things were better - much better but I wasn't content and decided to go ahead with the CAJUN system based off all of the great reviews & knowing that I was due for a smog this month here in Southern CA. This all started back in February and the smog was due in July (I passed with flying colors).

Symptoms from the start....well there weren't any small signs of a problem in my case, it came on very heavy very fast! I was in Baja for a surf trip and about 9 hrs south of the boarder (+/- 700 miles) and while accelerating shortly after leaving camp the final day the truck began to buck like a pony. I wasn't sure what was what and in the area I was located help was nowhere nearby, nor reachable by phone or any other source. I was hungover as all hell and already had a later start than I wanted. I was about an hour from where I camped & 3 hrs from the nearest help. I decided to keep on keeping on and steadily, things got worse. My speed and power continued to drop. First this started only while on the gas heavy around 80-90 mph & give or take 4k rpm's. As I went on I'd let off the gas a little more, push a little less up the inclines and still the truck would buck. As I got about another 40 miles under our belt the bucking got worse, more like a full grown horse and it pushed our mph lower and lower. We were cruising about 45 now and my buddy was not very stoked on the trip any longer. We approached a small group of road construction workers (the first sign of civilization) and spoke with them - no mechanics in the group but they said the next town was about 20 miles away - SWEET! - but no mechanics there either - only gas. As we pushed on there was a significantly steep hill but the truck would not make it up at all! Down to about 10-15 mph and bucking like a freikin BULL the old girl would not push over the crest of the hill leading into town so we put her in Neutral and coasted back down the hill, put it in park and almost cried like a *****, stuck in Baja with no way to contact anybody and nothing but a POS hunk of metal under my ***, haha. For some reason I tried firing her back up & she started up pretty good, I threw it in gear and hit the gas...the truck pushed better than it had for the last 50 miles! Up, up and over the hill!!!! I couldn't believe it! We pushed on into town & stopped at the gas station, filled up & asked around for help. Any mechanics? Air, boat, tractor or other??? The answer was NO, not a single one! This amazed me because I've been traveling baja for years & know the people there to be extremely resourceful but apparently not so much in this particular small town. So once we started back on the road again after turning the engine off & back on she again pushed harder & better. I realized quickly that turning her off and then back on was the short term fix. We continued on home like this for the next 500 plus miles (drive 40 miles, pull over & turn the truck off and back on and do it again) it took about 11 hrs at this rate - it was horrendous!

So again, back to the fix... Joe & Jeff were both incredible! The biggest help & more than I could ever imagine. I had a buddy who luckily just opened a new mercedes shop and he did all the work for me - he was slow enough being in a new shop & it was mutually beneficial. But the parts came in quickly, the service & support was top notch and the truck has now performed outstanding! I've put over 2,000 miles on her since making the change & passed smog with flying colors! I've traveled into the mountains, desert, off-road, 4x4 and she's working as good as ever!

Again, a HUGE thanks to Jeff @ Cajun Bpipes and Joe at Cajun Tuning for the uprev system! I probably would have junked this thing if not for the two of you!
Cajun Bpipes | shreveport, LA 71129

1 - 20 of 20 Posts