Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you know if the AVIC Nav systems can be wired into a Titan with a Factory Rockford system so that the factory sub will still work through the factory amp? I'm purchasing a Z2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
ecrawford said:
Do any of you know if the AVIC Nav systems can be wired into a Titan with a Factory Rockford system so that the factory sub will still work through the factory amp? I'm purchasing a Z2.
No idea about that. I'm sure it can be done. But you should get the 7100 instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why should I?

WhiteBoy said:
No idea about that. I'm sure it can be done. But you should get the 7100 instead.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
ecrawford said:
Do any of you know if the AVIC Nav systems can be wired into a Titan with a Factory Rockford system so that the factory sub will still work through the factory amp? I'm purchasing a Z2.

YES, my vote is also on the DNX7100.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
The only adavantage the z2 has is the harddrive to store music. disadavantages . it takes forever at start up and the preamp is crap. Just to name a few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK Dizzle and Volt....here we go again. I have really done some hard work into looking into your claims before buying this unit and I think that you are a little off. I time the amount of time it takes to power up the unit and here is what I found. If you have MP3, radio ect on before you turned the unit off it takes about 10 to 15 seconds to hear anything from the speakers once the car is started. It takes about another 10 to 15 secs for the unit to be usable. All in all you can get up and running in under 30 sec. I will be happy to video this and post after my install today if you like.

As far as the speed of the unit, I did find that if you have an IPOD with a huge number of songs that it takes a while to scroll through artist and songs. As a matter of fact, I almost didn’t' buy the unit because of this. But after doing some additional research, I was told about a site call avic411 and it had a very helpful trick. If you set up an alphabetical list of genres on your ipod and attach each artist by the letter that their names start with than the amount of time it takes to get from one screen to the next improves almost three times fold. I did this on my Ipod and local shop allowed me to plug it in to see the difference and it really worked.

As far a the pre amp I've heard you say they suck but no details follow. I can't just take your word with out examples that I can test for myself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
tech12volt said:
The only adavantage the z2 has is the harddrive to store music. disadavantages . it takes forever at start up and the preamp is crap. Just to name a few.
You can comment as soon as you buy a Titan or a system for that matter. Until then. I'd appreciate it if stuck to just reading.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
ecrawford said:
OK Dizzle and Volt....here we go again. I have really done some hard work into looking into your claims before buying this unit and I think that you are a little off. I time the amount of time it takes to power up the unit and here is what I found. If you have MP3, radio ect on before you turned the unit off it takes about 10 to 15 seconds to hear anything from the speakers one the car is started. It takes about another 10 to 15 secs for the unit to be usable. All in all you can get up and running in under 30 sec. I will be happy to video this and post after my install today if you like.

As far as the speed of the unit, I did find that if you have an IPOD with a huge number of songs that it takes a while to scroll through artist and songs. As a matter of fact, I almost didn’t' buy the unit because of this. But after doing some additional research, I was told about a site call avic411 and it had a very helpful trick. If you set up an alphabetical list of genres on your ipod and attach each artist by the letter that their names start with than the amount of time it takes to get from one screen to the next improves almost three times fold. I did this on my Ipod and local shop allowed me to plug it in to see the difference and it really worked.

As far a the pre amp I've heard you say they suck but no details follow. I can't just take your word with out examples that I can test for myself.
It's a nice unit. Just slow and a bit expensive. Make sure you do not unplug the RCA's or remove the ground with power running to the unit. If money is of NO concern then buy it. A couple of my customers and a friend of mine have the Z2 and none of them would buy it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
ecrawford said:
OK Dizzle and Volt....here we go again. I have really done some hard work into looking into your claims before buying this unit and I think that you are a little off. I time the amount of time it takes to power up the unit and here is what I found. If you have MP3, radio ect on before you turned the unit off it takes about 10 to 15 seconds to hear anything from the speakers once the car is started. It takes about another 10 to 15 secs for the unit to be usable. All in all you can get up and running in under 30 sec. I will be happy to video this and post after my install today if you like.

As far as the speed of the unit, I did find that if you have an IPOD with a huge number of songs that it takes a while to scroll through artist and songs. As a matter of fact, I almost didn’t' buy the unit because of this. But after doing some additional research, I was told about a site call avic411 and it had a very helpful trick. If you set up an alphabetical list of genres on your ipod and attach each artist by the letter that their names start with than the amount of time it takes to get from one screen to the next improves almost three times fold. I did this on my Ipod and local shop allowed me to plug it in to see the difference and it really worked.

As far a the pre amp I've heard you say they suck but no details follow. I can't just take your word with out examples that I can test for myself.
I am also a member of the avic411 forum. And the preamp thing is a pionner problem. Not speific with z2 its with all pioneers since their 7 series some years back.

Pioneer switched from mosfet transistors to jfet transistors due to price. jfets are much much cheaper. like the difference between a lexus and a kia. The only problem with this is if you remove the rcas with unit on on or plug them up with unit on it will burn out the ground transistors. Then the only fix is to ship it back or to ground the rcas directly to the back of the headunit.

The pioneer is slow at boot up , much slower than other units and if thats not annoying to you thats great. Everyone i know that has one complains about the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
tech12volt said:
I am also a member of the avic411 forum. And the preamp thing is a pionner problem. Not speific with z2 its with all pioneers since their 7 series some years back.

Pioneer switched from mosfet transistors to jfet transistors due to price. jfets are much much cheaper. like the difference between a lexus and a kia. The only problem with this is if you remove the rcas with unit on on or plug them up with unit on it will burn out the ground transistors. Then the only fix is to ship it back or to ground the rcas directly to the back of the headunit.

The pioneer is slow at boot up , much slower than other units and if thats not annoying to you thats great. Everyone i know that has one complains about the same thing.
That's not much of a problem but sounds more like common sense. I don't know of an electrical device that I will unplug without turning it off first. What about the performance of the rcas. Does your comparison of a Lexus to a kia apply to performance or is it directly related to durability. As far as powering up, I think I may post a video of my unit after my install. I really don't see how it is a problem. I'm about half way done and I don't see the lag time in power up time that you describe. I'm I missing something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ecrawford said:
Do any of you know if the AVIC Nav systems can be wired into a Titan with a Factory Rockford system so that the factory sub will still work through the factory amp? I'm purchasing a Z2.
Called another local shop here in town that does dealer only installs and go my question answered. I was able to make a couple of changes to the way I wired up the harness and it now plays through the factory system including the sub. On the down side I just open the package for the dash kit and guess what.....it is the wrong kit :crybaby:

I need the kit for the Rockford system with the dual climate control and they sold me something different. I should have looked at it before leaving the store...what a dummy. At any rate they had to order the part and it will not be here until Friday.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
ecrawford said:
That's not much of a problem but sounds more like common sense. I don't know of an electrical device that I will unplug without turning it off first. What about the performance of the rcas. Does your comparison of a Lexus to a kia apply to performance or is it directly related to durability. As far as powering up, I think I may post a video of my unit after my install. I really don't see how it is a problem. I'm about half way done and I don't see the lag time in power up time that you describe. I'm I missing something?
preamp is performance and durability . I have seen the ground problem happen without it being on. The thing about it is you probably never hear a diference in a mosfet transistor or jfet . But I can and other audiophiles can. And it probably will not be a problem with how long it takes to boot up because you have never owned other units so difference is not there for you. I hope you are extremely happy with your z2. I sell pioneer and pioneer premier so i do like the stuff in certain applications.

Bottom line is its your unit and you are happy . Thats what its all about. You do have factory amps so be prepared if you get a turn on or off pop or if have engine noise with the rcas. if this happens email me and ill give you a few things to try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good Volt. Thanks for your comments.....they have really help. I'll let you know if I run into any other problems.

tech12volt said:
preamp is performance and durability . I have seen the ground problem happen without it being on. The thing about it is you probably never hear a diference in a mosfet transistor or jfet . But I can and other audiophiles can. And it probably will not be a problem with how long it takes to boot up because you have never owned other units so difference is not there for you. I hope you are extremely happy with your z2. I sell pioneer and pioneer premier so i do like the stuff in certain applications.

Bottom line is its your unit and you are happy . Thats what its all about. You do have factory amps so be prepared if you get a turn on or off pop or if have engine noise with the rcas. if this happens email me and ill give you a few things to try.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
The easiest way to get around the slow boot up is to add a remote start so your head unit is on by the time you get to the truck.;) Though it has never happend to me, I do know some people that had the RCA issues right out of the box. The Z2 is nice and I hope it is exactly what you wanted but the Kenwood 7100 is still a great unit and less of a dent on the wallet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
Let me ask you stereo gurus this: If the Z2 isn't "all that", what would you recommend for someone who needs NAV, DVD, Bluetooth, Sirius, and iPod control? This is for my wifes 4Runner (double DIN) and needs to be relatively easy to operate. I don't need competition level sound but it needs to sound nice. Also, don't really want to spend more than $1750 for the capabilities listed above.

Thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
ecrawford said:
Do any of you know if the AVIC Nav systems can be wired into a Titan with a Factory Rockford system so that the factory sub will still work through the factory amp? I'm purchasing a Z2.
It'll work just fine with it, however, I wouldn't really call it much of a sub. I threw a Stealthbox in when I changed my headunit and pulled the plug on that RF thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
ptgarcia said:
Let me ask you stereo gurus this: If the Z2 isn't "all that", what would you recommend for someone who needs NAV, DVD, Bluetooth, Sirius, and iPod control? This is for my wifes 4Runner (double DIN) and needs to be relatively easy to operate. I don't need competition level sound but it needs to sound nice. Also, don't really want to spend more than $1750 for the capabilities listed above.

Thanks for the help!
I bought an AVIC-D1 off of eBay for $550 Brand New! It's an older style than the new Z series but the thing rocks! Navi, Video imput, MP3 playback, iPod capability, etc. Check'em out.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
402 Posts
ptgarcia said:
Let me ask you stereo gurus this: If the Z2 isn't "all that", what would you recommend for someone who needs NAV, DVD, Bluetooth, Sirius, and iPod control? This is for my wifes 4Runner (double DIN) and needs to be relatively easy to operate. I don't need competition level sound but it needs to sound nice. Also, don't really want to spend more than $1750 for the capabilities listed above.

Thanks for the help!
Hands down Kenwood DNX-7100 ($900), bluetooth ($130), ipod cable($30), Sirius ($60). It even plays divx, need i say more? That's well under $1750.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
Tonka Titan said:
Hands down Kenwood DNX-7100 ($900), bluetooth ($130), ipod cable($30), Sirius ($60). It even plays divx, need i say more? That's well under $1750.


I'm hearing good things about the Kenwood, but I also hear the interface (other than GPS) is really hard to use. Remember, this is for my not-so-digital savvy wife...:)
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top