Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
If anyone could share information on a decent digital camera. My wife and I would like to purchase one so we can share pictures via e-mail to family members etc. I also would like to post pictures in this site of the new truck as well as our trailer.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sony digital cameras produce excellent quality pictures.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I very highly recommend Nikon's digitals as they offer some of the best picture quality. The majority of professional photographers use either Nikons or Canons. They tend to offer many more customized features that you would find on higher end SLR cameras than say Sony, Kodak, Fuji, HP, etc. cameras do. If you care about this definitely spend a little extra to get a Nikon and/or Canon. If you want a simple point and shot without many options look at a cheaper camera.

For some great digital camera reviews see:

www.computers.com (i.e. c/net). Great place to go when buying just about any electronics.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fuji has the best quality to price ratio IMHO.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have an old Kodak DC265. I have had a lot of people comment on how good the quality of the pictures are, even comparing it to some of the newer cameras. It realy depends on what you are going to do with it. If everyone is on broadband, go for higher megapixel ratings.

Pixels are the dots that make up the picture. The more the dots, the more accurate the picture is detail wise. Color is viewed differently by every chip and displayed differently by every monitor. So the editing software that comes with the camera is also important.

As with everything the more you spend (to a point) the better the quality. I spend 700 on my camera 7 years ago. I will still be using it for another couple of years, until I can see a quality difference. You might check for last years models, as they depreciate quickly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Regarding Fuji, their xD-Picture Card they use fo storage is not as wide spread or compatable as other types (Compact Flash, SD etc).
Something to keep in the back of your mind if you think you'll pull the card out and share it with somebody.

That said I use the FUJI A310 it's cheap (nowadays) and full of features and takes great pictures. :futwice: (pretend they are thumbs)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for your advise and the posting of reviews. This site is awesome. Glad my wife found it!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Make sure you take into consideration how you're going to use it and what you're looking to get out of it. For example, if you just want it for Emailing (and not printing), your resolution needs are not that high. 2MP is fine for that.

There are also many factors that alot of people don't seem to take into account when purchasing a digital camera. Some people think buying the highest MP is the way to go. I personally think anything more than 3MP is overkill, unless you need to print out poster-sized prints.

Things like battery-life, size/portability, Optical Zoom, LCD screen size, user-friendly, flash strength, shutter-lag, power-up time, and time-delays between pictures are all features you should take into account when making the final decision. Your best bet is to go to a local store (I think BEST BUY is great for this) and play around with a bunch of them. And also check the professional reviews online that have been linked above.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
fianlly something I can help on until my truck is delivered

price/quality/size canon s50--they go for around 350 nowadays. I have one and they are excellent. anyone, including consumer reports will tell you that canon are the most reliable cameras, with the best bundled software.

high end

canon digital rebel about 950 with the lense--the best of them all right now

super high end

canon 10D

check out www.dpreview.com for some great reviews, and pics that you can compare

·
Registered
901 Posts
NYTITANMAN said:
Make sure you take into consideration how you're going to use it and what you're looking to get out of it. For example, if you just want it for Emailing (and not printing), your resolution needs are not that high. 2MP is fine for that.

There are also many factors that alot of people don't seem to take into account when purchasing a digital camera. Some people think buying the highest MP is the way to go. I personally think anything more than 3MP is overkill, unless you need to print out poster-sized prints.

Things like battery-life, size/portability, Optical Zoom, LCD screen size, user-friendly, flash strength, shutter-lag, power-up time, and time-delays between pictures are all features you should take into account when making the final decision. Your best bet is to go to a local store (I think BEST BUY is great for this) and play around with a bunch of them. And also check the professional reviews online that have been linked above.
Good luck!
I agree. Play with them and look them over. I have the Sony DSC-P72 (3.2MP) and love it. For size and features its great. Price has fallen down to about $269 since they are pushing their 5MP camera now. A very cool feature is it will take videos with sound and not limit their size. You can take one and burn the whole memory card on it. And there are 2 video resolutions to choose from. Some brands/models will limit video lengths. As far as pics, I have so far always used the lowest resolution. Keeps the picture size down somewhat, and still look great on screen. And keep an eye out. Some camera brands/models don't come with rechargeable batteries, or batteries at all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have an Olympus C-3000 (3.34 Megapixels). It's great for most any type of use. I bought it when 3 megapixels was the highest out there and paid close to $500. Costco has an Olympus 4 Megapixel camera (same style) for only $250. This is a great deal for an Olympus.

Nikon has great lenses and Sony has alot of features for the money. They're all pretty good these days.

·
Registered
109 Posts
NYTITANMAN said:

Good luck!
Hey my first post!
Listen to this man, he is very correct.

I shoot semi pro, mostly in studios and doing photojournalism.
I get asked this all the time, and my answer is pretty standard to the above.

One thing to keep in mind also is if you plan on shooting action or sports type activity. Most of the consumer cameras are not the best for this, they have way too much shutter lag to actually get solid action shots. Admittedly, I have not explored consumer cameras a lot recently, but have not heard anything that would change my opinion on that. If there is a good consumer camera with a fast shutter, please feel free to chime in.

One thing I am really suggesting people explore if they are serious about taking quality pics is to explore the new digital SLR (dSLR) cameras from Nikon and Canon. For around $1000-$1500, you can get yourself an AWESOME setup which would be ideal for shooting anything from the kids games to the new Titan. They are most certainly worth the investment if you plan on using it, and you might even find yourself getting involved in a new hobby!

If you are bored, you can see my hobbies here:
www.imagistix.net
www.bmxoldschool.com

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Any digital camera over $250 will give you excellent picture quality these days. Read the camera reviews from different sites and purchase a major brand such as a Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Sony, Olympus, or Minolta. Don't agonize too much over your decision, in a couple of years the new models will do so much more anyway. The thing that is every bit as important as the camera is the photo editing software, aka digital darkroom software that you buy. With this software you can increase/decrease contrast and brightness, change color hue, crop, and do a zillion other things. The camera that you buy will probably come with come kind of editing software with limited features. I suggest that you purchase Adobe Photo Elements (about $50 and one of the best programs for the money) and learn how to use it. You can buy one of those "dummies" type books to speed the learning process.With the software, you can basically take a almost unusable photograph and turn it into something really good.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
For picture quality: Canon, Nikkon, Olympus
Ease of Use: Kodak
Gimmicky and overpriced and proprietary memory card: Sony

Fuji is decent all around, but not outstanding in enough categories to make it a top pick, plus they also use a proprietary memory card. I'd have to say Canon as best overall, most hardware reviews will agree. I used to sell digital cameras years ago, and most of this still hold true. BTW, I have a Canon A80 and love it. I've also owned a Sony Mavica (waste of money) HP (zero features, mediocre quality) and Kodak (great ergonomics, so so pict quality) I'd also lean towards getting a camera with compact flash, versus smart media, memorty stick, mini-dvd, etc.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Currently have an hp 812 4mp. It's ok if you like short battery life! That's really my only complaint, it holds 2 batteries and needs 4. I've been drooling over the Canon digital SLR's for a while now. If I had the extra bucks I would definetly buy one.

·
Registered
608 Posts
FRD ETR said:
Currently have an hp 812 4mp. It's ok if you like short battery life! That's really my only complaint, it holds 2 batteries and needs 4. I've been drooling over the Canon digital SLR's for a while now. If I had the extra bucks I would definetly buy one.
Check online at maufacturers web site and see if they have a software upgrade that will help battery life. I bought 2 Kodak dx3600's 3.1 mp for my wife and daughter, still using old Nikon slr for myself. Both take fine pics for email but battery life was about 15 pictures. Software upgrade went to ~ 125 pictures on a recharge. Also turn off flash each time you turn on camera outside. Bought them a couple years ago from Dell at around $100 less each than Best Buy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am not a photographer but I am the buyer for a photo retailer and have been in the business for over 20 years. When purchasing a digital camera you need to establish a budget and decide how large a print you want to make. Most people get caught up in the horsepower/ pixel count war and assume more pixels is better. This is not always the case. The logic that each camera uses to process the image is a major factor in the final image quality (color, brightness, sharpness, etc.). If you want some more hand-holding, I would be happy to help. I might be able to help you on price too. Send me a PM.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts