Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2015 sv. I saw the hitch weight is for 930lbs. I'm looking at a camper it's a 2005 fleetwood scorpion s1 toy hauler with the pop up in the front. The weight says the hitch weight is 980. Would a weight distribution system help so I could pull this unit. Looking for advice

·
Registered
909 Posts
You're likely looking at a trailer that's beyond the Titan's weight capacity. A WDH will only do so much when the pin weight is near the maximum. Take a closer look at how much this trailer will weight when its fully loaded before you commit to buying.

·
Premium Member
68,424 Posts
Toy haulers are notoriously nose heavy. 95% are way too much for a Titan. You're gonna be in 3/4 to 1 ton range.

·
Premium Member
68,424 Posts
Not that it's heavy at all. A D21 pickup could pull that pop up fine, it's just all piled up on the tongue. Neat concept for a hauler, dumb design.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
4mula is right - the overall weight is well within limits. Its the 15% tongue weight unloaded which gets you. Only way that works is to load it up with weight behind the axles every time you haul it, so it unloads the tongue a bit. And that's going to make for one squirrelly trailer tow.

I'd be looking at something around 750lbs max tongue weight, and I'd really want to be below that unloaded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I have a 2015 sv. I saw the hitch weight is for 930lbs. I'm looking at a camper it's a 2005 fleetwood scorpion s1 toy hauler with the pop up in the front. The weight says the hitch weight is 980. Would a weight distribution system help so I could pull this unit. Looking for advice
I have a 2016 Titan and a Scorpion S2 Toy hauler barely used. Titan does not even know the Scorpion is behind it. I purchased the Titan for that reason.. Purchased the camper for taking Grandson camping a few years ago. Son's divorce ended that before it was ever used. I need to part with this and can really use the space it is taking up in my driveway if your still looking and can drive to Louisville, KY. Let me know. My email is [email protected]. Trailer has only aged from sitting in driveway inside was detailed a couple of years ago when it was last open and I put a couple of no pest strips inside. Contact me if you want more details.. via email.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Keep in mind that the dry TW on a Toy Hauler is very heavy because all of the dry weight is in front of the trailer axle. Once you actually load something in the garage, the TW could actually go down (depending on the weight of the toy). Look at it like a see-saw that when dry only has a kid sitting on one side. Putting a kid on the other side of the fulcrum balances things out nicely.

Short answer though is that Tongue Weight is Tongue Weight so when dry you will have too much weight on the hitch. The Titan manual doesn't specify this, but my Chev manual indicated that the limit was the tongue weight without WDH bars engaged.

If you go ahead, get yourself to a CAT scale with the unit fully loaded and get a true reading. Look up the "3-pass" method which is required to understand ALL of the weight variables related to your specific combination. If you are working with a REPUTABLE trailer dealer (i.e. <10% of the RV dealers), they may be willing to let you do this before signing on the dotted line.

·
Premium Member
68,424 Posts
Titan does not even know the Scorpion is behind it.
This is the most overused, abused, false statement that gets used way too often. I can pull my small golf cart trailer that I can move around easily, by hand, and I know it's behind my truck. Change lanes fast or do a panic stop and tell me "you don't know it's there". This statement is hogwash...

·
Premium Member
19,442 Posts
In this case, the tongue weight might not be as bad as a normal toy hauler trailer with an enclosed garage. The Scorpion is an open garage, more like a flatbed trailer with a popup camper permanently installed on the front. The tongue weight of 980 lbs on an S1 model is when there is no ATV on the back of the trailer. The GVWR is only 6,600 lbs. The S2 model has even lower specs. Put an ATV on the back of the trailer and the tongue weight will go down.

No matter what, you'll want a WDH. As stated by bankr63, the max tongue capacity on a Titan is only when a WDH is in use. No WDH? Much lower tongue weight capacity.

For what it's worth, I have a Fleetwood toy hauler. But it's a more traditional trailer. Fleetwood packed a lot of features in my trailer, that's for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts