Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 4x4 Titan that has a bad high speed vibration problem. Thanks to the members of this forum, I've learned that one possible cause may be a bad u-joint (or bad joints) in either/both the front or rear driveshaft assemblies. In particular, I get the impression that the front driveshaft u-joints are more likely the culprits.

As a means of isolating the problem, I was thinking of just removing the front driveshaft, and then driving the truck to see if the vibration is still present. Of course, this scheme is predicated on the truck being able to be safely operated in 2 wheel drive with the front drive shaft removed.

Hence the question: Can a 4x4 titan be driven with the front drive shaft removed without causing any damage to the truck?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If it's a bad universal joint, then you will be able to feel movement in the driveshaft. Did you crawl under the truck and try moving the shaft back and forth, looking for any movement at the joint? If you see movement, then there's your culprit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did crawl under the truck and I did take a look at the front driveshaft.

When I attempted to move it, it did have some play, but the play did not appear to be in the U-Joint, it appeard to be in the transfer case itself. The play was only on the order of 1/8" along the outer arc of the driveshaft (if that makes any sense).

However, I could see that the seal was cracked in at least one of the four bearings in the front u-joint and it generally looked pretty cruddy.

Also, I hear that clicking/popping sound at 5 mph or less that everyone seems to equate with the u-joint problem.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Are you still under the 5/60,000 mile powertrain warranty? If you are, the dealer should replace it under warranty. Also, are you ball joints nice and tight?

·
Registered
372 Posts
It could be driven without it . Had mine out for a week while i was waiting on ujoints to be delivered.

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
It could be driven without it . Had mine out for a week while i was waiting on ujoints to be delivered.
No offense to the other guys, but thanks for answering his question:kiss:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I had mine out for a few days with the same issue. It's okay to drive without it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts