Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to measure the exact height (from ground to center of wheel well) tonight when I get home just to be sure, but I think I finally figured out that I have Bilstien 5100's set at their highest in the front (not the case, please read below in my next post) and Deaver rear leafs with Bilstien shocks in the back. I bought the truck used in its current configuration and the dealer didn't know anything about the suspension mods. So I've been trying to figure out exactly what it has and just how much higher than stock it is.
I currently have 17" rims with 295/70's and they fit fine with no rubbing or bumping and a descent amount of space in between the tire and the top of the wheel well.
I want to get 18" rims and naturally the tallest tire possible, but I don't want to deal with any rubbing. I don't mind doing minor trimming or a PWM if I have to, but will the 295/70-18 Nitto Terra's fit without major cutting and grinding?
Also, should I be getting a rim with 0 offset or do I need offset to make it work? The whole backspacing vs. offset thing has me really mixed up, I just can't seem to wrap my head around what does what :ftard:. I don't mind them slightly sticking out of the wheel well, but I don't won't them sticking out a lot.

One of the sets I'm looking at and really like is MotoMetal 955's with -12mm offset and 295/70-18 Terras.

·
Registered
558 Posts
subscribed...i have heard that with no lift you can fit 33x12.50's with no pinch wield mod required. i too want to know if 295/70/18's will fit only no lift, or just 1.5" spacer in front because that is my setup when i need new tires.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, well I have to throw another monkey wrench into this question. I got out and measured the truck when I got home and also took a better look at what was going on under there. I absolutely have Bilstien rear shocks, but now under closer scrutiny, I think the struts are stock and there's a spacer of some sort up on top of the strut mount. It's clearly an aluminum spacer, but I have no idea what size or make it is.

Here are the measurements I came up with, hopefully berween them and the pictures someone can tell me what's going on here and what I can fit under this truck without any further mods.

Front:
38 3/4" ground to fender lip
6 3/4" tire to fender lip
2" from front tire to front edge of fender
2 5/8" rear of front tire to leading edge of fender

Rear:
41 3/4" ground to fender
9 1/2" tire to fender

Here are the pics. The top three are of the strut, looking up at the spacer and then from the front of the truck. The other two are of the rear shock and leaf spring.
Tell me whatever you can, even if you can't tell me what tire will fit, I'd appreciate any information that would help me figure out what I'm looking at. If this was a Mustang made anytime from 1979-2012 or a drag car, I'd be able to ID any part of it as well as take it apart and put it back together in minutes, but trucks are all new to me so sorry if this is a major newb type of post.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Sounds like you have a 1.5" spacer up front, and the c-10 deavers out back.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. So any chance I'll be able to fit those 295/70-18's under it without major mods? I think I want to eventually lift the truck a little more, but I don't have the money to do it right now and don't know when I will. Part of me wants to actually get a smaller tire just to save some gas, but if its only gonna save me an average of 1/2 a MPG, than its probably not really worth it.

If I'm looking at a 18x9 with a +12 to +18 offset, it should fit right? Worst case scenario, I'd have to do the PWM?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Everything that I have read on this forum and google says you CANNOT run 35"s or in this case 34.5" without doing the PWM. Even leveled or minilifted. You want to stay as close to stock as you can with the overall offset to keep the grinding/cutting to a minimal. If the tire sticks too far out you might even have to snip the front plastic as well.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a problem with doing the PWM, I just don't want to have to do any grinding on the frame or any of the suspension parts. I certainly don't want to cut anything on the body that's visible.
I really wouldn't mind seeing them stick out a little on the outsides, but I'm afraid they'd rub on the fenders in that case.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Im wondering the same as well, whats the smallest amount of lift for this tire to work without PWM or cutting; I think with stock 18" wheels it would work better than other wheels

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah stock wheels would most likely fit with a leveling kit. Most aftermarket wheels are 18x9 or bigger so they're a full inch wider than stock. If all else was equal, that would be 1/2" on either side that the rim would stick out further. I just can't figure our what backspacing and offset I'd need to get that sweet spot. There's gotta be someone out there running a leveling kit with these tires on aftermarket rims. I guess I just gotta hope he reads these threads... LOL

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
i think NorCal said that a wheel that has a closer backspace to ours would fit better, so a 18x9 with a 18mm offset or 5.71bs would be more tucked in and would rub less on the PWM, I really wish that some of the bigger wheel companies would make stock sized wheels it would be very nice

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Interesting that everyone is worried about rubbing and hitting things. I also thought about 35's but getting 10 mpg and downshifting on the highway at every small incline has changed my mind. NorCal4x4 who Daniel91 also mentioned has a nice write up about having torque convertor OD issues with 34" tires. Those three reasons pretty much keeps me in the 33" range. Too bad cuz I really like the look of 35's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a set of 295-17/18s on my crew cab with no lift or leveler whatsoever and there is a small amount of rub at certain points of turn in but i can live with it, I did a little bit of grinding and had to cut a lot of my mud flaps off to get them to clear and it works for me i dont mind the little bit of rub thats there. So they will fit.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gixxer can you post a few pics? Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 07 Titan stock, no lift. Running 265 70 18's, need new tires and want to go bigger with a 295 70 18. Simple question will they fit with no rubbing? Dont want to spend the money only to have them not work

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have an 07 Titan stock, no lift. Running 265 70 18's, need new tires and want to go bigger with a 295 70 18. Simple question will they fit with no rubbing? Dont want to spend the money only to have them not work

Won't fit.
You could go 275 70 18, 305 60 18 with no modification or lift

Reactions: Okachoby
1 - 15 of 15 Posts