1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a trailer that has the following specs:

GVWR - 10000 lbs
UWR - 7105 lbs
Hitch Weight - 710 or 825 (I have gotten conflicting info)

I have an 2008 LWB 4x4 CC SE with the Big Tow package and know that the trailer fully loaded is too heavy. The specs for my truck are:

Towing - 9100 lbs
Tongue Load - 910 lbs

If I don't fully load the trailer (we never travel with water in our tanks), the numbers seem to indicate that I can tow the trailer with a weight distribution hitch. From the trailer specs, if I keep the gray/black and white tanks empty would save about 1000 lbs.

So, as a sanity check, I'm asking for verification that I should be able to tow the trailer. We're not in an area with mountains - so it's mostly flat to rolling hill terrain.

·
Premium Member
69,528 Posts
Pic or make/model of the trailer? Right now I'm saying it's too much trailer. More info please.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trailer is a 2006 Keystone Hornet 31BHS. This is a travel trailer with 2 axles. The values shown in the chart are from the spec sheet and has I've stated, the GWVR is 10K and I do not plan to load the beast up (we always tow with our trailers dry). I realize this is going to be close on everything, but the deal is too good to pass up.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Your tow capacity of 9100lbs is reduced by your weight above 170lbs (or maybe above 150lbs), as well as any passengers, gear, or cargo which did not originate with the truck on the assembly line in Canton, MS.

So, figure all that, then you will know what your true capacity is. Then you need to weight the trailer as the published weights are averages and usually don't include propane, batteries, or any pots, pans, clothes, or gear added to the trailer.

My guess is, even if you're married to a whisp of a girl, and you're a string bean, you're overweight on this rig, no matter what. Heck, house batteries are going to weigh 50lbs apiece so there goes another hundred.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You want about 20% margin for safe towing. The DRY weight on this trailer is ALREADY over that...

Now imagine it with all your stuff in it, (and like dubyam said) batteries, and a decent sway cancelling hitch - you're not going to want to go cheap with friction sway control, because the unit's nearly 34 FEET long - and that's going to put you over the tongue weight capacity of the Titan.

If you're dead set on this trailer, trade the Titan for a 3/4 ton or a one ton truck...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news; I've been towing for 45 years and I don't think I'd risk this with my family.

·
Premium Member
69,528 Posts
34 feet.... The tail will wag the dog.

·
Registered
965 Posts
With 20 years experience trailering race car trailers, I agree with the other posts. Your quick answer is NO.

I have an '08 Titan KC LWB 2WD and wouldn't try trailering that TT with my truck!

·
Premium Member
69,528 Posts
I realize this is going to be close on everything, but the deal is too good to pass up.
This sums it all up. Despite what you've read, when do you go pick it up? :rolleyes:

Reactions: SV4X4

·
Registered
307 Posts
Agree with the rest, it's too big for your Titan.
You're going to get awfully close, if not over, the tow rating real quick with all the necessary gear.
Bigger truck or smaller trailer. I have a 21 foot Jayco that comes in around 6K lbs loaded, which is kinda the sweet spot for the Titan, which was an upgrade from a Frontier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts