Nissan Titan Forum banner

Can utili-trac cleats be stolen while on the track?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  www.durocab.com 
#1 ·
It seems as if they can, but I just wanted to be sure I was not missing something on how to install them so they couldn't get swiped. If your not using them it seems like you wouldn't wanna leave them on the truck.

#2 ·
Don't you have to slide them off to steal them?

I keep the tracks empty since I installed the toolbox, but I seem to think that if you keep the end bolts on, the cleats can't be stolen, unless they have very strong fingers or a wrench in their pocket.

#4 ·
That was another reason for me not to buy the Utility Bed System. I was in the dealership looking to buy and a guy comes in mad as hell. Seems he only had his new truck for about three hours before someone made off with his cleats. The dealer was sorry but they still wanted about 40 bucks a piece. I think they lost a customer that day. I would think the cleats could be stored in the side box.

Other reasons:
1. The spray in lining looked a lot thinner than the ones I had sprayed in my earlier vehicles.
2. I didn't trust the aluminum rails holding up to salt water (I drag my boat to the coast regularly). Figured they would corrode. I wish they had been stainless or a high grade polymer. Wouldn't be a problem any where else (where there is not an ocean) and are a great innovation.

#5 ·
jd1973 said:
That was another reason for me not to buy the Utility Bed System. I was in the dealership looking to buy and a guy comes in mad as hell. Seems he only had his new truck for about three hours before someone made off with his cleats. The dealer was sorry but they still wanted about 40 bucks a piece. I think they lost a customer that day. I would think the cleats could be stored in the side box.

Other reasons:
1. The spray in lining looked a lot thinner than the ones I had sprayed in my earlier vehicles.
2. I didn't trust the aluminum rails holding up to salt water (I drag my boat to the coast regularly). Figured they would corrode. I wish they had been stainless or a high grade polymer. Wouldn't be a problem any where else (where there is not an ocean) and are a great innovation.
I live at the ocean. No really, three blocks away. I work and play there too. My truck stays outside and I have had it since December 14th. It's been through cold and wet. Recently we just had an unseasonalble run of 80 degree heat (that's hot for here!)

So far no sign of any corrosion to the utlitrack rails. They have been exposed to lots of salt air and water. Surfboards and wetsuits, sails and wet sandy dogs as an example. If they were going to be a real corriosion problem, I'd be having it I would think.

No bubbling of the "thinner" spray in liner either. The utilitrack is very versatile. I use it with a bed extender, overhead racks and the tie down cleats.

Anything can be stolen if the theif is motivated enough. We can narrow down the chances of being a victim by not making for an easy target and taking reasonable precautions. But we should also not keep ourselves from enjoying our trucks' capabilities because something bad might happen.

Just my 2 cents. :)

#6 ·
:rolleyes:

I keep mine in the little side box, maybe that's why I still have them.

jd1973 said:

Other reasons:

#8 ·
37L1 said:
I live at the ocean. No really, three blocks away. I work and play there too. My truck stays outside and I have had it since December 14th. It's been through cold and wet. Recently we just had an unseasonalble run of 80 degree heat (that's hot for here!)

So far no sign of any corrosion to the utlitrack rails. They have been exposed to lots of salt air and water. Surfboards and wetsuits, sails and wet sandy dogs as an example. If they were going to be a real corriosion problem, I'd be having it I would think.

No bubbling of the "thinner" spray in liner either. The utilitrack is very versatile. I use it with a bed extender, overhead racks and the tie down cleats.

Anything can be stolen if the theif is motivated enough. We can narrow down the chances of being a victim by not making for an easy target and taking reasonable precautions. But we should also not keep ourselves from enjoying our trucks' capabilities because something bad might happen.

Just my 2 cents. :)
Thats good news, but I still don't trust aluminum and salt. I may add the tracks later if they hold up long term. I don't usually trade vehicles very often so I have time to wait.

There are several posts on this site about the factory bed liner separating and bubbling. Problems associated with spray in liners is almost always in the prep. Obviously there are some Titans where substandard prep played a part. Sounds like you got a good one. Congrats!! :cheers:

And you are right about thieves. I had someone break into my truck a few years ago. They stole my radar detector and a pair of RayBans. I bet they were suprised with the 20/600 lenses in them. In my preLASIK days I was blind as a bat. There was a case of beer and carton of smokes on the back seat next to my laptop. Didn't take these or about $20 in change in the ashtray. Dumb crooks.

#10 ·
Utilitrac Theft

When I bought my truck, the sales lady let on that they had a few utilitrac thefts right off the lot before the truck had even been PDI'd (dealer prep for sale). That's not just the cleats...it was the WHOLE trac system. If a theif wants something bad enough, it can't be any easier than to just unscrew it from a vehicle. Whatcha' gonna' do?

#11 ·
Brickwall said:
When I bought my truck, the sales lady let on that they had a few utilitrac thefts right off the lot before the truck had even been PDI'd (dealer prep for sale). That's not just the cleats...it was the WHOLE trac system. If a theif wants something bad enough, it can't be any easier than to just unscrew it from a vehicle. Whatcha' gonna' do?
Yep. I've seen theives take antennas, tail light and headlight assemblies(!), wheels, etc. :boxing:

Ain't gonna stop me from getting what I want and using it, dammit.

Just living your life is taking a chance!

#12 ·
You know it

That's why the first thing I bought, and I highly recommend this to everyone...no matter what your local crime rate may be, to purchase a set of wheel locks and spare tire lock. There's nothing easier to steal on your truck than your beautiful $350+ full size factory spare. Not to spread paranoia, but hey, I'd prefer to buy accessories than replacements. Wheel locks are a 10 minute install/Spare tire lock about 30 minutes total.

#13 ·
I don't see why anyone would steal the cleats except to piss the owner off or to sell the cleats on eBay. If some of you get your cleats stolen I'd check eBay for a "vendor" in your area. I would think that the best place to store the cleats when not in use is the little storage compartment in back.

#14 ·
My dealer installed wheel locks during wash & fuel prep. I didn't mention it or anything during the turnover the salesman said "We installed a set of wheel locks for ya on the house the key and original nuts are in the glove box" :)

Now I gotta do something about that spare.

#16 ·
I bought the wheel locks and spare tire lock.

The wheel locks were a snap but the spare tire lock was less than great. After installing it, it says to pull on the plastic shield to see if it is in tight. Well every time I did, I could pull it out, plus when I tried to use the bar to lower the spare with the lock key, I had no success.

The pin on the lock that is supposed to go in the groove by the spare tire is a bit too short I believe. I am going to contact the place where I ordered it and see if they can send me another one. I hope this solves my problem.

#17 ·
PistonPete

Just remove the plastic cone shaped guide alltogether. It doesn't say so in the directions, but you can't install the lock with the original plastic guide in place. It removes easily by popping the 3 plastic rivet style fasteners out from the backside. After you remove that guide (the lock has its own plastic cone shaped guide), you simply push the lock on, crank your spare into it's original position and put your key where it's easily accessible.

#18 ·
FLfinfan said:
It seems as if they can, but I just wanted to be sure I was not missing something on how to install them so they couldn't get swiped. If your not using them it seems like you wouldn't wanna leave them on the truck.

It seems like the Utili-trac cleats could have been designed with a provision to lock them to the track similar to the way you can lock a ball mount to your receiver with a locking pin. The pin would have a locking mechanism to keep someone from either rotating the cleat or sliding it off the end to remove it. All the engineer would have to do is make a hole in the cleat match up with a hole in the track for a small pin to go through.

If you want to make something (although kind of jury rigged) yourself you could make a cable tether and tie one end to the hole on the cleat and the other end to the permanently mounted tie down in the corner of the bed. You could make a loop in both ends by using metal crimps and a crimp tool. If someone happened to have bolt cutters they could still cut it loose but they would probably fool with stealing something more worthwhile.

By the way, If anyone totals their Titan (God forbid that) remember to grab those cleats and coin tray before you let the tow truck take it away. :teethmast

#19 ·
Bayou Titan said:
By the way, If anyone totals their Titan (God forbid that) remember to grab those cleats and coin tray before you let the tow truck take it away. :teethmast
Coin tray??? What f***in' coin tray, dammit!?! :crying:

(This post is 100% sarcastic, I am having no luck at the dealer, they are playing REAL dumb.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.