Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to go get my oil change tyhe other day, and they cannot get to the oil filter because the bolt is stripped out. was wondering what i need to do to get this fixed and/or about how much its going to run me?

·
Registered
540 Posts
went to go get my oil change tyhe other day, and they cannot get to the oil filter because the bolt is stripped out. was wondering what i need to do to get this fixed and/or about how much its going to run me?
If U can get the oil filter off there is a threaded bolt that UR oil filter threads on to then it threads into the oil cooler. U can replace this part it runs around $25. If not U'll have to replace the oil cooler and the threaded bolt which is a lot more expensive if I remember right the oil cool runs $300 to $400. I'd try to pry oil filter off at worst case drive a screw driver through the back end of filter and turn filter off with screw driver be careful not to shred oil fiter then U'LL be in a real mess. I've done this before and works just take UR time. Then U can replace the threaded bolt better than replacing the whole cooler....

·
Registered
174 Posts
you said they "cannot get to the filter" Do you mean the bolts that attach the little door on the skid plate is stripped out? If so, remove the entire skid plate or you can just reach around it. Mine has been like that for a while.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
1.) The Stripped Out Screws can be drilled and an "Easy Out" used to remove the offensive screw. It is not as easy as it may sound, especially upside down.

2.) Another method if to grind a thin slot across the head of a screw and use a Flat Blade Screwdriver to remove it.

3.) A Hacksaw can sometimes be used to cut the slot, depending on access.

4.) If the Screw has a protruding head, then use Vise Grips to grab the sides of the Head and work it loose.

I don't have a Skid Plate so am not sure what the screws are like, but I have a note that reads "Oil Filter Cover Screws M6x1.0x25mm Flat Head Machine Screw, Stainless Steel Preferred".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts