Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 08 with 3500 miles on it and I can't get it to start this morning. Put the key in and it won't turn over. Wiggled the steering wheel and tried everything else, pushed in the brake, make sure it was in park..etc.

Even tried the spare keys..nothing. I can take the keys in and out but it refuses to turn.:mad:

Very annoyed.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Almost sounds like the ignition cylinder is broken or jammed. Does it turn left at all? Or won't move any direction?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackbeauty said:
Almost sounds like the ignition cylinder is broken or jammed. Does it turn left at all? Or won't move any direction?
That's my guess cause it won't budge. I drove it to Buffalo Wild Wings last night for the game and it was fine.

The steering wheel will move slightly to the left and nothing to the right. Going to call the dealership as soon as it opens up and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Try sliding the key in to different depths and attempting to turn it... I mean, don't let it bottom out before trying to turn.... The cylinders could just be out of alignment.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blackbeauty said:
Try sliding the key in to different depths and attempting to turn it... I mean, don't let it bottom out before trying to turn.... The cylinders could just be out of alignment.

Tried it, even woke the wife up and let her mess with it.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
LandShark said:
Tried it, even woke the wife up and let her mess with it.
Are we still talking about the truck here? :banasex0r

:rofl: Yeah, definitely sounds like the cylinder is jammed.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blackbeauty said:
Are we still talking about the truck here? :banasex0r

:rofl: Yeah, definitely sounds like the cylinder is jammed.
:jester: Um yeah, 5am is not sexy time around my place weather I want it to be or not.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Do you have the floor shifter? If you do, make sure it is in Park and is fully pushed towards the left.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had that happen before. The steering wheel was locked and I had to pull it really hard to the left and then turn the key.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Antihero said:
I had that happen before. The steering wheel was locked and I had to pull it really hard to the left and then turn the key.
I'm 215lbs and was cranking on the wheel like a madman. That just shouldn't be required to start a brand new truck.

·
Super Moderator
36,327 Posts
LandShark said:
I'm 215lbs and was cranking on the wheel like a madman. That just shouldn't be required to start a brand new truck.
Try pushing on the brake and turning the wheel.

·
Registered
589 Posts
LandShark said:
Hmmm, I dont know. When mine was locked it took a fair amount of force to move it like maybe 2-3 inches towards the left and then the key turns. This also only happens when you have your wheels at full turn and then turn the truck off and take the key out. It doesnt sound like this is your problem but I figured it was worth a try.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just went out to the truck, turned the wheel all the way and turned it off and took the key out. Even when you turn the steering wheel you have to turn the key really hard to release the steering lock mechanism.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Antihero said:
Hmmm, I dont know. When mine was locked it took a fair amount of force to move it like maybe 2-3 inches towards the left and then the key turns. This also only happens when you have your wheels at full turn and then turn the truck off and take the key out. It doesnt sound like this is your problem but I figured it was worth a try.
I turned the steering wheel as far as it will go, then I force it a little further.

The key, lets just say it's not as straight as it once was.

I'm going to go home during lunch and hang on it like a monkey, maybe use my feet to turn the wheel as I use both hands to turn the key.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Did you call the dealer? Don't break the damn thing, let the dealer deal with it!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I heard about this from a friend with an 04 shift on the colum. The dealer guided him on the phone and if I remember they told him to pull the steering wheel hard all the way as he wiggled the key. Maybe that can help back these guys on here. Good luck

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We went out to my place during lunch and tried again, still locked up. Dealer is sending a truck out there to tow it to the service dept now.

·
Registered
589 Posts
LandShark said:
We went out to my place during lunch and tried again, still locked up. Dealer is sending a truck out there to tow it to the service dept now.
Thats strange. Hope it works out for the best.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got to watch the towman drag it up backwards on the flatbed. :crying: Going to the dealership here in a minute.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts