Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i decided to do another "informational thread". I have nothing better to do than hang around titantalk and figure out stuff to post :teethmast

Just wanted to make this thread so that members could get info about this procedure quickly. I and others who have done this wrap have answered questions in threads, but the answers tend to get lost and questioned asked over and over again.

So here is a thread with information about "carbon fiber" wraps. Carbon fiber in quotes as it is NOT real carbon fiber (unless you actually do use real carbon, and then have it resin'ed)

There are two main types of wrap out there.

Vinyl "3M" DiNoc style and fabric type style. There is the official 3m Dinoc and other brands similar as well as knock offs.

DiNoc Vinyl style:
As mentioned earlier, there is the legit stuff and knock off stuff (mostly on ebay). There is also legit stuff made by other companies other than 3M (Oracal (spelling?) is one brand if i remember correctly). I just say 3M DiNoc because its the most popular brand.

This stuff has adhesive on the back of the material, so there is not glue needed. It is a bit stiff when cold (its recommended you use a heat gun when applying it) and has a hard finish when you touch it. The material is made where it is made to look 3D, so it gives a carbon fiber look when light reflects on it. You can also feel the texture if you rub your nail on it. It is basically a sticker in easy terms.

When it comes to installation, the cliff notes version is as follows:

• Cut material to appropriate size to cover the part (excess is better, you dont want to be short)
  • Prep the part by cleaning it with alcohol to get any oils/grease off
  • Remove adhesive protector from wrap product and lay it on the part
  • Use a heat gun to make the wrap more flexible to wrap around corners, holes, etc
  • Cut out any holes in the wrap that need to mold to holes in the part
  • Cut off any excess wrap. Make sure that any corner wraps do not lift up by holding them down for a couple of minutes.

In general (and depending of preference and experience), this sticker type wrap with adhesive already on it is easier to work with. You just peel, stick, heat (for corners), and cut.

Here is an example of the 3M wrap i have sitting around. Since this stuff is like a sticker, it usually is rolled for shipment as it cannot be folded because it would get hard edges. It looks a lot better in real life, the lighting conditions when i took this picture were not very good.

Fabric type Carbon Wrap

This stuff is carbon wrap that feels almost like very thin fabric. It has a softer touch than the 3M or equivalents.

This material DOES NOT have adhesive, and requires that it be installed using a spray glue. It is a lot more flexible when "cold" (the 3M stuff needs to be heated up to flex more). It has the same textured feel, meaning you can feel the texture if you run your hand over it.

This fabric style wrap can be trickier to work with because of the spray adhesive. If you use too much glue, you can get bubbles, and if you keep lifting it up over and over again to fix any flaws, the glue will lose tackiness. If you use this type of wrap, you have to do a dry run and see how the fabric will react to the curves and contours of the part you want to wrap.

• Gather materials needed: Wrap, Spray adhesive, razor/scissors, clean work area
  • Cut wrap in excess of part size
  • Test fit the wrap over the part to see how it will lay on top. Make note as to how corners behave using the wrap
  • Prep part by cleaning it with alcohol to remove grease/oils
  • Spray part (not wrap) with a thin layer of spray adhesive
  • Let spray glue tack up a little by letting it sit
  • Lay wrap on top of glue and part, making sure to "stretch it tight"
  • Let wrap stick with the glue, then cut out any holes in the part, leaving a small sliver to wrap around the part for better durability

Here is an example of the fabric style carbon wrap. This picture shows the material I ordered. It came in a yard size and as you can see, can be folded easily like fabric. I have used neffy wrap, and the stuff from ebay and they were the same. I would'nt spend more than $25 per yard for this style of wrap.

Both are great materials in their own way. Using these wraps is a great way to "freshen" up your interior. I wrapped my interior using the stuff (I have used both types) because after years of use, my stock interior paint was scratched up.

Applications are not limited to interior usage either, the wraps can also be used externally.

Its all up to personal preference on what type you want to use.

Personally, I prefer the fabric type wraps for items such as the center bezel, center console, gauge surround because of its "softer" feel. But I prefer the 3m or other sticker type wrap for exterior work (door handles, tailgate bibs, mirror caps) as well as for window switches and door handle inserts.

I hope this guide was helpful for those wondering about this type of wrap. If you have any suggestions as to how to improve it, or any experiences you would like to add, reply to the thread and let others know. I know a bunch of users have use both types of wraps.

If you are looking for the adhesive backed wrap, member Peytons_Titan08 sells it. I would look at him first to support a fellow member.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Nice! Thank you

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
3M DiNoc is older technology and has been moved to the 3M1080 series. This product has the air release channels and the controltac/comply adhesive. what that means is you can position it where you want and the adhesive will not stick until you apply pressure and even then you can peel it up if you get a wrinkle. I have been in the sign business (largest distributor in US) my whole life and have not seen a carbon fiber prodcut this good EVER. I wrapped a few items at my desk with just my hands, no tools at all, to see how easy it was. Perfect is all I can say. In saying that, i can get you this stuff for a reall good price. You can see i have been here a long time and have great iTrader score, this isint my selling place at all but love hooking Titan owners up. If you want, check out the 3M page for this product.

Series 1080 Landing

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Great write up! I love the CF look in the Titan interior. I've been wanting to do something to mine to break up the monotone dash. I'm still debating on painting the dash trim or wrapping it with CF material.

Reactions: A.I.I.Raciing

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
i cant wait to wrap some pieces of my truck with the 1080 stuff. As long as i can use it(im no professional) ill be good to go.

How well does that stuff stand up to the elements? i really want to wrap the roof of my truck with it. JDM status yo! j/k I just wanna do it because the paint on my roof looks like crap... the previous owner never took care of it.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Siik! I'm going to add this to my to do soon list

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
going to order some of that new 1080 3m stuff! Looks easier to install

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I have sent out a few samples to Eddie F and 04Greent.............if you want this 1080 hit me up, i have it for days.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Got my samples today Payton... lots a color options! Gotta figure out what I can wrap with one of them inside the truck. I don't think there are any pieces on the exterior that the samples will cover.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
The samples aren't quite big enough to do the fuel door. Not to mention, it would look a little weird to have that as the only wrapped piece on the exterior of the truck.

I'm trying to find an interior piece that I can easily remove and wrap that is smaller than 4x5"

·
Registered
335 Posts
Glove box handle.

Reactions: DRTYAZN

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
i just wrapped my power seat setting thing. Turned out awesome! I used a color that i dont plan on actually using incase i messed it up. Its flat silver and doesnt fit in but it looks good.

Can the handle be removed from the box? nvmd ill go mess with it right now lol

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Glad you like it. That stuff is expensive so I can't send a lot. That sample costs us about $20 each. All those are for exterior use so anything inside will be fine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts