Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an Avital 4103 remote start/keyless entry for my 06 LE. Is it possible to wire the cargo light to turn on and off with a press of the trunk release button. I figure there has got to be a way to convert this 200ma negative pulse to constant power with some sort of relay/switch system, but I'm not sure how.

·
Super Moderator
161,459 Posts
There is a way to turn a negative activation into a positive feed. See if this diagram helps:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't that just convert the negative pulse to positive? I need constant power to run the light with the press of the trunk release button and then kill the power with another press. I think that wiring diagram would work only if I held the button down. Can someone confirm this?

·
Super Moderator
161,459 Posts
Won't that just convert the negative pulse to positive? I need constant power to run the light with the press of the trunk release button and then kill the power with another press. I think that wiring diagram would work only if I held the button down. Can someone confirm this?
Yes, that's correct. To make is stay on, you'd need to create a self latching relay system, done with two relays. If you want it go go back off with yet another press of the button, it gets more complicated still, using something like 6 relays if my memory serves me correctly. Or, you could wire in a 555 timer into the circuit to keep it on for some pre-set amount of time. Again, more complicated. Or, you might be able to take that simple relay above and figure out a way to make it activate the existing circuit in the truck where it's already been put on timer. That would mean finding the trigger lead(s) for that circuit and tapping into one of them with the positive pulse from the circuit above.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha. I guess I won't mess with it. I thought it would be easier than that. I'll just have to wire up some sort of wired switch to put in the bed. I just always find myself in the middle of tying down a dirt bike when I realize I forgot to turn the cargo light on.

·
Super Moderator
161,459 Posts
Actually, of all that I mentioned, finding one of the existing wires that triggers it now when the unlock on your fob is pressed, or when a door is open might not be that hard. If you can enlist the help of BBF, he might be able to find that wire for you, with it's colors. He's pretty good at that.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
The LE already has keyless entry so just hitting unlock should turn on the cargo light. Why go through all that trouble when you can buy an auto start that works off the existing key fob?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't mean LE, it's actually a SE (base model) with no power windows, no power locks and no power mirrors. I know this sounds like an XE, but I'm 95% sure it's an SE. I'll double check the title and carfax printout later. I'm planning on adding power locks and power windows later which will link up with the Avital keyless.

·
Super Moderator
161,459 Posts
Do you have the body side molding? Steelie wheels? Just a 5.6 on the bottom right of the tailgate? All signs of an XE, not an SE. The XE won't have the side molding, and will have steel wheels (if they're still OEM) and there will only be the 5.6 on the tailgate if it hasn't been debadged. The SE will have the molding, a 5 spoke aluminum wheel, and will have SE 5.6 on the gate.

·
Super Moderator
161,459 Posts
The seats aren't really a "tell" for the model. You could actually get a bench in an LE. Leather, no less. You could get leather in an SE, but most came with cloth. All XEs came with cloth, no other option there. Bench or captians seats was a choice on the SE, but bench was the only option on an XE.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just looked at it on Google Earth and It does NOT have side molding and it says 5.6 only on the tailgate. I guess it's an XE. Oops. I could have sworn the carfax listed it as an SE.

·
Super Moderator
161,459 Posts
Yeah, an XE for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts