Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
car wash supplies

I want to wash the TITAN this weekend but am concerned about all the different soaps etc out there...i dont want to damage the paint....anyone have any ideas as to what works and what I should avoid ( i know to avoid dish cleansers etc)...also, I have a Red Brawn so its kind of dark may leave hard water marks etc. WOW I HAVEN'T BEEN EXCITED ABOUT WASHING MY OWN CAR SINCE 96.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I believe any decent brand will do a decent job washing the car. It's waxing material that you should be picky. For waxing, lots of high end car owners use Zaino because the shine lasts longer.

Frankly, I don't have patient washing/waxing my cars so I use whatever the easiest and only twice a year. My cars are mostly parked indoor anyway :hat:

Edit: I forgot, if you're into auto detailing, check this web site: http://www.autopia.org

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yep, Zaino all the way around (polish, clay bar, car wash formula, tire gloss, etc.). Until your brakes stop putting out as much brake dust I would use Dawn (original formula) on them once every couple of weeks as it breaks down all of the crud you may not normally get off in between washes and polish the rims as early as possible to protect them as well (just don't use the Dawn to often long term).

Karl

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Probably more important than the brand of car wash soap is the need to frequently rinse out your sponge and other cleaning materials that you use. If you don't do this you are "sanding" your Titan while you are washing it.
I was at Wally World the other day and saw a wash bucket that had two bottoms in it. This allowed the sponge that you use to stay above the crud that is on the bottom of your wash bucket. I will probably go back to Walmart this week and buy one.

·
Registered
740 Posts
????

SarkaZm said:
The Mr. Clean washing system seems to be working well for me. And the best part - no drying!!!
What exactly is the Mr. Clean system?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also use Mr. Clean on mine. The water is so hard here in So. Cal that I need the filter to keep from water spotting.
This is the first darker color that I have had in years(Deepwater). The first time I washed it I though I was never going to get rid of the water spots. It was awful even hand waxing I had to work like crazy to get the spots off. If you live around here it's Mr. Clean or a professional car wash.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If the water spots are the main issue, has anyone tried mounting one of the filters they sell at the borg and Lost?

borg - Home depot
lost - Lowe's

They are supposed to filter to under 3 microns. That should remove most of the hard water spots and they cost about the same. But you will only replace them once in a blue moon. Put them inline with the hose and spigot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Doghouse
That's great news I didn't know they made a filter to hook up the hose but I know that there is a need for one. How much do they cost and how long do they last. Do you know what they are called.

·
Registered
473 Posts
They are not designed for just hooking up to a hose, but there is no difference between hooking up to the house and the hose.

In the water softener department, there are "whole house" filters, that you are supposed to put in-line with the water main. It is just matching the fittings to connect to garden hose ends. Use a short piece of hose between the bib and the filter. Then a male to male adapter on the other side connected to your hose. It will not remove chemicals, but will remove sediment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
How are you guys using the Mr. Clean thing?
I've used it twice on my Titan and it doesn't seem to be working all that great.
I'm doing what it said to do, pre rinse w/regular hose water, then soap spray, then wash with a mit, then spray off with regular water again, then do the spot free rinse. Plus, after i'm done, i go over everything with the spot free rinse again. Isn't that right?
Don't get me wrong, it works ok , but i honestly think i can do better the old fashioned way without this Mr. Clean thing.
What gives?

·
Registered
31 Posts
TxTitan said:
I've used it twice on my Titan and it doesn't seem to be working all that great.
I'm doing what it said to do, pre rinse w/regular hose water, then soap spray, then wash with a mit, then spray off with regular water again, then do the spot free rinse. Plus, after i'm done, i go over everything with the spot free rinse again. Isn't that right?
Don't get me wrong, it works ok , but i honestly think i can do better the old fashioned way without this Mr. Clean thing.
What gives?

I agree with TxTitan about Mr. Clean. It doesn't work that great for me either!

·
Registered
196 Posts
chieflikalotapus said:
im going to have to go with mr clean on this one
What are you doing to get it to work so well? Do you just rinse it with the spot free rinse a whole lot?

Also, about how long does the filter last when using it on the Titan?
I know the manuf. says 3 times, but that could be for a small car they tested it on or something else.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
TxTitan said:
What are you doing to get it to work so well? Do you just rinse it with the spot free rinse a whole lot?

Also, about how long does the filter last when using it on the Titan?
I know the manuf. says 3 times, but that could be for a small car they tested it on or something else.
I have not had any problems either. I don't have a Titan yet, but it works well on my grey van and silver car. I got about 4 washes out of the starter filter. The extra ones they sell are good for ten it says. I do rinse liberally with the DI water, and always am sure to do the roof & any crevaces heavily. Usually I end up with 1 or 2 streaks on the van, but I don't consider that too awful. I just touch up those spots with some quick detailer. One thing I have noticed is that is does not seem to stay clean too long. Seems like when I used a chamois and Zymol wash, it stayed clean a little longer. I think next time I will try the Zymol wash in the Mr. Clean, rather than the Mr. Clean soap. Other than that it seems worth the $15.00 I paid for it! :cheers: Hope this helps! Oh BTW, I do have fairly hard water in my area, maybe yours is worse??

·
Registered
196 Posts
TxTitan said:
What gives?
I need to re-tract what i said. I found out it was operator error. The starter filter is good for only 2 washes, not 3. First wash was on my father-in-law's Dodge dooley, second was on our Chevy Trailblazer, and the 3rd wash was on my Titan. So there ya go, by the 3rd time, i guess the filter had it. The first wash on the dooley probably took the most out of it b/c of its size.
I got the 10-wash replacement filter and no spots!! It works awesome!
However, i've found it to be faster to just mix the mr. clean soap in a bucket w/water and wash it that way, then spot-free rinse with the filter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts