Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adopting this little guy...

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9261635

I want to get a playmate for my German Shepherd. I think a puppy would be easier for him to buddy up to than say a 2 year old dog. My dog gets along well my parents' and friends' dogs, so I don't see him having a problem with this guy.

Anyways, anyone have any experience with the breed? Can't decide if I want a tougher hunting breed or a retriever...

·
Registered
554 Posts
That's a beautiful looking pup. I think you're right on the puppy being easier with an adult dog. The puppy will learn from him/her and pick up on their habits (hopefully good ones!!lol!) Also, that breed I believe will get to be a decent size dog so it should be comparable to your GSD in terms of size and he won't get trampled. Good luck!!

Check out this link, this site has a lot of great information...
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/catahoula.htm

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would get that puppy in a heartbeat, i have a female Catahoula , and my friends have several males. They are great dogs and they are very smart and tuff. My friends use there's for hunting hogs and well mine was supposed to to that to until my mom turned her into a lap dog. So in my opinion get the puppy don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
454 Posts
From Wiki:

Catahoulas are highly intelligent, energetic, and quick, yet are generally very loving and gentle with children. They are inquisitive and have an independent streak. However, the Catahoula temperament is not suited for everyone; these dogs tend to be very protective of their territory and family, and also, may be aggressive toward other dogs—especially of the same sex. These traits, combined with their independent nature, their high energy levels, and physical strength, can make a Catahoula "too much dog" for inexperienced or meek owners, and can make having such a dog a liability in suburban neighborhoods. Ideally, a Catahoula should have proper obedience training, secure confinement on the owner's property, and an outlet for its energy. The ideal place for this breed would be in a rural area where they can have plenty of space to expend their energy. Some catahoulas may be aggressive towards children and others outside of the family.

No info on AKC.

Careful when mixing same sex dogs, although two males is not as bad as two females. My wife and I adopted a bull terrier pup (11 month old female) 2 months ago and now have to find her another home because our 8 yr old Staffy and her are getting into really nasty fights. Try to foster on a trial basis first if possible.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
22InchesStrong said:
I would get that puppy in a heartbeat, i have a female Catahoula , and my friends have several males. They are great dogs and they are very smart and tuff. My friends use there's for hunting hogs and well mine was supposed to to that to until my mom turned her into a lap dog. So in my opinion get the puppy don't think you will be disappointed.
Yes they are great dogs, and they do indeed make great hog dogs. Some people might consider hog hunting a cruel sport.:pieceandl

·
Banned
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just brought him home. The dogs are getting along fine. Tails wagging and all...

I'll have to get the little guy fixed within 30 days anyways, so I'm not really worried about fighting. He's a really laid back dog. Didn't really make a fuss when I gave him a bath or anything.

Time to go buy him some puppy chow and toys....

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
TitanTailGator said:
Just brought him home. The dogs are getting along fine. Tails wagging and all...

I'll have to get the little guy fixed within 30 days anyways, so I'm not really worried about fighting. He's a really laid back dog. Didn't really make a fuss when I gave him a bath or anything.

Time to go buy him some puppy chow and toys....
congrats... please post pics.. the url you posted no longer has him listed... my catahoula leopard mix is fixed, but still loves to bark at his playmate... CONSTANTLY... he's so jealous. He's full of energy.

PS: mine was probably just under 1 year old when this was taken, now he's 3.5 years old or so, but still an awesome pup. He's definately gained some weight since the photo (he's now 50 lbs), but that's because he's grown up. He's not as rough-looking as a most catahoulas or mixes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts