Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum - I've owned my '04 Titan since '05 and it now has 100,000 trouble free miles - until now!!!!

I took it to get a 100,000 mile service (and fix other stuff that recently went bad) and the dealer told me the catalytic converters were going (he could hear stuff loose inside) and suggested I get aftermarket headers / catalytic converters installed rather than do the $2,300 factory fix. He said if i don't get it fixed, it could cause an engine failure....!! I have searched this forum as best i could and can't find a solution that will work in California and still pass emissions.... Even called Stillen....

Does anybody know of an aftermarket setup that will pass emissions and do you know of a good shop in Orange County that does this work?

thanks for any leads!

I've attached a picture of my Black 4x2 Titan in the background. The Z is what the Titan hauls around.....

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
call local mechanics for the install of the headers. In calif i beleive only the short tubes will work. you will need uprev and after market cats also so your a/f ratio is ok. It is expensive but still cheaper than paying the dealer, you will be happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
There was a header made by someone that was Calif Emissions legal, damn i forgot the name though :p

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I don't know how soon your looking but possibly by the end of the month I'll have my headers installed and can sell you the stock manifolds and cats off my 08. Also I think deerslayer is putting headers on this week so his manifolds will be available.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
According to DRTYAZN in this thread, http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/120996-headers-california-2.html

JBA headers are legal if the cats are welded .5 inches of the OEM location.
I dunno the real deal, but according to one thread I saw, somebody was calling BS on the legality of the JBA headers in that they don't have a cert number for the Titan application. So you might want to check with the California CARB web site and/or JBA to make sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,

I'm not nuts about having a local mechanic weld up a system for me, bolt on yes, weld up.... I also don't think a non-calif. set-up will pass Calif emission testing, but I like your thinking tsunamilogan05!!! I also checked CARB website and they don't mention Doug Thorley and Titan (Frontier and Pathfinders yes, Titan No), even though DT says their cat back system is 50 state....

I'm not doing any heavy duty towing until the last week of May, so i think I'll continue to look around and call Stillen back (they thought they would have a solution soon). If i haven't figured it out by the 23rd of May, it's off to the dealer I go....:confused:

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I didn't fix the Cat converters or the manifolds.... pulled the trailer 900 miles 2 weeks ago without any problems, even got between 9 and 10 MPG (depending on the wind) which is pretty good pulling a 20' trailer that weighs about 8,000 lbs or so....

i know i'm rolling the dice here, but still looking for a CA solution that will pass smog w/o having to spend $2,500 at the dealership for a new Nissan system.... If anyone finds a solution, please post!!!!

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you figured it out yet? I have the same problem and dont know what to do! Can I put headers on it and still pass in CA?? What the hell are you supposed to do to get the damn thing to pass smog, im at the point where I dont care how much anymore,,,,,just pass me will you!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't figured it out yet, still have the stock headers. Towed my trailer up to SF and back twice with no issue, but i'm afraid it's a ticking time bomb. I talked to Stillen a while ago and they thought someone was working on a solution - i'll give them another call and let you know if they've got anything yet....

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I dunno the real deal, but according to one thread I saw, somebody was calling BS on the legality of the JBA headers in that they don't have a cert number for the Titan application. So you might want to check with the California CARB web site and/or JBA to make sure.
Well, I don't know the real deal either... (haven't had to Smog yet, but will have to this next Spring) however, from what I have come to understand, from JBA and Exhaust/Smog Tech buddies... is that they are supposed to conduct a visual inspection, ensuring no modifications of the OEM configuration of emmissions related components... (intake, manifolds, cats) CAI's need to be accompanied with a CARB sticker (CARB certificate numbers issued by the Air Nazis)... JBA Headers are the only aftermarket headers with CARB certification at this point as well (comes w/ sticker)... As for cats, there are a few CARB cats out there but you will be paying HUGE $ for them, and most licensed shops won't touch non-CARB cats... So, all in all, if you need to stay CARB compliant, by the time you buy headers, CARB cats, and have the work done, it'll be a pretty penny... You might want to look at just finding a set of OEM takeoff's from the members in Titan forums and swap your cracked ones out... If your cats are rattling, I can almost guarantee you that your manifolds are cracked at the internal welds between the pipes and engine block (where all of the failed manifolds are prone to cracking)... Unfortunately your T is beyond the Federal Emissions Warranty... Hope this helps and Good Luck getting your issue fixed...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts