Nissan Titan Forum banner

Catalytic Converters

10K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  busemans 
#1 ·
With high prices of precious metals, looking to sell my stock catalytic converters off of my 05 2WD Titan. Replaced them with JBA LT and Cajun cats many years ago and stock parts just sat in attic. So these are mine legit, not stolen. With nationwide cat thefts, I'm having trouble finding a place to sell them and not get "taken". Not even sure how much they're worth. Where is a good place to start? I understand 05 2WD only has 2 cats, both attached to exhaust manifolds. The other 2 bumps on b-pipes are resonators if I'm not mistaken. Just looking for advice on where to start so I would get fair value. Thanks!

#3 ·
Have no idea where to even find out. Google only shows general info about modern cats which contain platinum, palladium and rhodium. Rhodium price today is almost $29K/oz. That's over 16X price of gold today. Also looks to be all time high by multiple factors, at least in recent years as far as I could tell. No wonder cat thefts (or cat burglars😄) are especially bad lately.

Reactions: busemans
#5 ·
I understand people are definitely buying stolen cats. All over the news. The average street thieves would not have equipment needed to separate out precious metals. They steal cats and are selling them to other people to get top dollars. Then stolen cats pass from people to people (and each people get their cut of money) until they get to people with proper equipment to separate out precious metals to be recycled.

I'm looking for the right people to sell mine to get fair dollars. And mine aren't stolen. They are legit mine.

#8 ·
ha ha ha, i was picturing that as i was reading it, ha ha ha.

there you are, cruising in your truck down a dark street to a pool of light from an over head lamp. there is a guy leaning against the lamp post with his hat low and dark colors. you roll the window down, "psst, i have these cat...." and then all these cop cars zoom in out of nowhere.

than we are over here going what happened to that dude asking about the cats the other day, he never came back

#9 ·
You 'll see me on the evening news...

"Catalytic Converter Theft, with a Twist

Last night, a man was arrested by police for, get this, selling his own catalytic converters to a would be thief. The man later told police he was simply pre-empting the theft of his catalytic converter by removing them first and offering them to the neighborhood thief. He claimed the theft would have happened sooner or later. By removing the catalytic converters himself, he hoped it would minimize damages from theft, and he would also get some cash from selling them to the thief. This all happened last night as part of a police sting operation to catch the increasing catalytic converter thefts in the city. The thief was also arrested and charged with prior auto-thefts and faces jail time up to 3 years. The owner of the catalytic converters is still in police custody. The Chief of Police is still determining what to charge the owner with..."

#13 ·
@chung_chang

i found something. some do still have a high value. here is the price lists for scrapping cats

#14 ·
@chung_chang

i found something. some do still have a high value. here is the price lists for scrapping cats

Whoa...anywhere from $100 - $500 each? I'll have to see if I could get more exact value on that website. Need to pull out my old cats from attic to check for model/make...etc. If they're worth closer to $500 each, that would almost pay for my entire JBA headers, Cajun catted b-pipes, and JBA exhaust bought years ago. Definitely peaked my interests...thanks a lot!!!

#16 ·
Only reason I even thought about selling my old cats was because I recently sold my 1-year old used computer graphics card for $900 on eBay. It's a Radeon RS 5700 XT which I bought for $300 a year ago. I wasn't the only one. Many are going for that price on eBay. I'm still in dis-believe about that, which got me started looking to clear out my attic and garage.

#17 ·
Pulled my cats from attic, cannot find any make/model/serial anywhere. Might be underneath shields? Anyways, sent quote request with pics to them. Says would take 1-2 business days to respond. We'll see. For doubters, see attached pic. No thieves would take their sweet time to unbolt exhaust manifolds and lift engine 1 inch to remove whole thing fully intact :)

#19 ·
Back in the day, we used to clear the cats in the driveway by banging the inside out with a long piece of rebar and pouring it in the grass

I bet my yard is worth a few grand since we did many many bmws for racing
If you've got an oz of Rhodium in your yard, it's worth over $25k today ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.