Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first check since I put the catch can on. I have two, maybe three, tanks of gas driven with it.

I couldn't find the thread where I installed it with the miles so I don't know how many miles are on it but I figured a thread like the fuel mileage thread would be good for us to track this stuff in
String instrument Water Guitar accessory Musical instrument Fluid

Calipers Hand Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Communication Device

Three eighths of an inch in the bottom of the jtl can is pretty significant to me. I was reading the state adds catch cans to their fleet ford's for the cops explorers so apparently everyone knows they are needed?

My son had about the same amount in his 2016 turbo Veloster catch can today, too. I really need to out the one on my wife's Mazda3. It's still in the box.

Maybe after riding the lawnmower around the yard for a few hours?

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
It’s amazing how much oil is in the mist that circulates in the system. In a 5000 mile oil change interval there is almost two canisters full. If you check it every 1000 miles you can’t run into a problem.

Clint

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to search for that post showing when I installed it so I can see how many miles are on this can. I can't believe how much came out though. I can't understand why the manufacturers dont have something factory to separate the oil mist.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I need to search for that post showing when I installed it so I can see how many miles are on this can. I can't believe how much came out though. I can't understand why the manufacturers dont have something factory to separate the oil mist.
Because most people don’t work on their own vehicles and won’t drain the can. The manufacturers don’t want the warranty issue fallout.

Clint

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok, sorry for this. What is the purpose of this catch can deal? Is this an attempt to keep oil out of the intake? Or just monitor oil being lost in the pcv system

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Purpose is to keep the oil (in suspension) in the pcv system from getting back into the intake/chamber.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it doesn't coat the back of the valves and slowly block air flow into the combustion chambers

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can’t a product like Redline or Berrymans treat the build up?

I’m all for it but it hardly seems necessary as these engines routinely hit 300k without much fuss. Unless it’s buildup that takes em down? (And the aforementioned fuel additives aren’t sufficient)

Is any of the oil necessary to lubricate valve guide seals?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
So there are two things at play here. For early Titans with traditional fuel injection, a catch can is mainly to see how much blow by you're getting and to track oil consumption, while keeping your intake clean. But for later direct-injected engines, there is no fuel coming through the intake - only air and whatever is in the pcv system - so additives won't help a direct injection motor keep the valves clean (since fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, not into the intake). For those motors, some folks have issues with carbon buildup on the valve backs, and a catch can will help prevent it.

Reactions: Ride

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, installed can at 45,928 miles. Checked it at 46,269.

So 341 miles and got that amount out. So that's not good

·
Registered
419 Posts
I’m due to dump mine a second time. It’ll have about 1500 miles on this round. I’ll post it up when I dump it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So there are two things at play here. For early Titans with traditional fuel injection, a catch can is mainly to see how much blow by you're getting and to track oil consumption, while keeping your intake clean. But for later direct-injected engines, there is no fuel coming through the intake - only air and whatever is in the pcv system - so additives won't help a direct injection motor keep the valves clean (since fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, not into the intake). For those motors, some folks have issues with carbon buildup on the valve backs, and a catch can will help prevent it.
Thank you for the lucid explanation. I didn’t even realize what direct injection was or that the Gen 1 was not a DI design as I thought I’d seen gen 1’s with CCs installed. If I feel lost power I’ll do a leak down test or just look for oil consumption. I had a CRV with carboned rings and mild/moderate oil consumption. Tried all manner of remedies but what worked was Berryman B12 overnight in the cylinders.

I assume there are vehicles out there with enough mileage on em to show how much of an issue this creates. What is the remedy down the line if a CC is not installed?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thank you for the lucid explanation. I didn’t even realize what direct injection was or that the Gen 1 was not a DI design as I thought I’d seen gen 1’s with CCs installed. If I feel lost power I’ll do a leak down test or just look for oil consumption. I had a CRV with carboned rings and mild/moderate oil consumption. Tried all manner of remedies but what worked was Berryman B12 overnight in the cylinders.

I assume there are vehicles out there with enough mileage on em to show how much of an issue this creates. What is the remedy down the line if a CC is not installed?
To take the heads off etc,and blast with walnut shells..seen a couple videos on YouTube, looks like a lot of work,got me thinking of a catch can..

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, walnut shell blasting. An expensive cleaning, that's for sure

·
Registered
310 Posts
No need to dismantle the engine for walnut blasting. I've done it once and it's very simple. The upper intake manifold comes off in about 15 minutes and that's all the "dismantling" you need to do. The hardest part of the job is how tall the truck is....you need to lean over the engine quite a bit in order to clean all the valves.

I did mine at 30k and I plan to do it every 30k from here on. Very worthwhile piece of maintenance on any DI engine. Even with a catch can, you're still going to get carbon buildup over thousands of miles.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how do you make sure all shell is out of the valve area?

i saw the kit to blast the Hyundai motors in the velosters. its a deal that hooks to your shop vacuum and also to your air compressor and you just push it down onto each intake runner and blast away. i don't know how well it works though

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yep, it's the same on all vehicles. The piece I bought is 3D printed and it fits snug inside the lower intake manifold runner just on top of the intake valves. It has a small hole for you to insert the media blaster tip and then a larger hole that a shop vac hooks up to. There are sometimes a few specs of walnut shell that don't get vacuumed up with the adapter on the intake runner, but if you remove the adapter and get one of those narrow vacuum attachments to put on the shop vac hose, it works really well. Very easy to get everything out of there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts