Nissan Titan Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yep, it's the same on all vehicles. The piece I bought is 3D printed and it fits snug inside the lower intake manifold runner just on top of the intake valves. It has a small hole for you to insert the media blaster tip and then a larger hole that a shop vac hooks up to. There are sometimes a few specs of walnut shell that don't get vacuumed up with the adapter on the intake runner, but if you remove the adapter and get one of those narrow vacuum attachments to put on the shop vac hose, it works really well. Very easy to get everything out of there.
Maybe an scope camera to be sure? Any link to your adapter, sounds sweet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Plus replacing gaskets/o rings, is this an annual maintenance job for a direct Injection engine, yes..if ours is in the clear,I'll consider doing it, only got 2225 kms on the 3rd engine,might hold the medal for the most dismantled engine..that said its running great since getting it back 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pro tip throw in some stainless steel scrubbing pads. Adds surface area for the oil vapor to condense onto. Should help you catch more oil. Just a straight can isn’t the best option. Not a bad idea to add some baffles and direct the oil cart around them.

brheez Stainless Steel Scouring Pads [30 Gram] - Heavy Duty Industrial & Commercial Individually Wrapped Scrubbing Sponges - Medium [Pack of 12] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFKM5V...abc_NFRDGS0E9RNQ07RJGNNR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Plus replacing gaskets/o rings, is this an annual maintenance job for a direct Injection engine, yes..if ours is in the clear,I'll consider doing it, only got 2225 kms on the 3rd engine,might hold the medal for the most dismantled engine..that said its running great since getting it back 2 weeks ago
I was researching this a few years back before I bought a 2nd gen ( this engine as been out since 2009 in the Infinity M56 and 2011 in the qx80) and discovered the valve deposits usually don't start affecting the motor until about 80k to 90k… And thats for folks claiming to drive hard…

The intake is fairly easy to pull and blasters are cheap enough on Amazon..

I have been using this stuff every 15k… I plan on pulling the intake at 50k to see how well it is working….
Liquid Fluid Paint Drink Solvent

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Pro tip throw in some stainless steel scrubbing pads. Adds surface area for the oil vapor to condense onto. Should help you catch more oil. Just a straight can isn’t the best option. Not a bad idea to add some baffles and direct the oil cart around them.

brheez Stainless Steel Scouring Pads [30 Gram] - Heavy Duty Industrial & Commercial Individually Wrapped Scrubbing Sponges - Medium [Pack of 12] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFKM5V...abc_NFRDGS0E9RNQ07RJGNNR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

i was thinking of doing this. i don't know why there are no baffles or anything the can already. i saw the Mazda cans come with baffles and intake and exit connections are not right next to each other and have stuff between them, like a ledge with offset holes in it

·
Registered
310 Posts
Maybe an scope camera to be sure? Any link to your adapter, sounds sweet.
You can see all around the valves so you won't need a scope unless you have reason to believe the valves were open while you blasted them in which case it may be a good idea to scope inside the cylinder through the spark plug hole. But you should make sure they're closed before working on a particular cylinder. Here's a link to an adapter that's similar to what I have:

QX56 QX80 Intake Valve Carbon Cleaner Walnut Blaster Adapter for Nissan VK56VD | eBay

I was researching this a few years back before I bought a 2nd gen ( this engine as been out since 2009 in the Infinity M56 and 2011 in the qx80) and discovered the valve deposits usually don't start affecting the motor until about 80k to 90k… And thats for folks claiming to drive hard…

The intake is fairly easy to pull and blasters are cheap enough on Amazon..

I have been using this stuff every 15k… I plan on pulling the intake at 50k to see how well it is working….
I wish I would have taken photos of mine at 30k, but there were definitely deposits already. And I'm not light on the throttle. This thread has some photos from 44k miles:

·
Registered
96 Posts
i was thinking of doing this. i don't know why there are no baffles or anything the can already. i saw the Mazda cans come with baffles and intake and exit connections are not right next to each other and have stuff between them, like a ledge with offset holes in it
The can I built out looks pretty similar to the one in post #63 at the link I attached below, only real difference is I installed a drain valve on the bottom of mine. Its nice being able to drain the catch can without removing it from the truck. Also have 100k+ miles so far with the can installed and I probably recover 3 to 4oz every 4k oil change.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts