Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a reliable and reasonable source for cats?
Are there other things that need to be replaced when installing?
Thanks!
T

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
What he said ^^^

The first set is welded onto the manifolds. The second set can be replaced. Look into Berk Technologies B-pipes to replace the second set

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you looking to replace them with OEM cats?
The OEM primary cats is part of the exhaust manifold, FYI
I didnt realize there were 4 on these trucks.

What he said ^^^
Umm, yeah, I guess I dont know which ones are bad. How do you tell?

The first set is welded onto the manifolds. The second set can be replaced. Look into Berk Technologies B-pipes to replace the second set
Im hoping I only need the "rear" ones?

Just run with no cats haha. Take all four out. I plan on it. Of course I have no emissions haha.
If the truck wouldnt throw codes, I would....No emission test here etiher.

To save a few bucks you can buy the raw cats from the internet and weld your old flanges on if they aren't too rusty.
Looks like I need to do some research.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If the truck wouldnt throw codes, I would....No emission test here etiher.

You can fix the codes with Uprev and get it retuned. I'm putting my headers on next week and I'm having uprev run me a no cats headers tune.

Uprev will fix the codes from what I was told and understand.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sent you a PM. I've got a set of OEM cats I pulled off the truck when I installed my Berk B-pipes. About 12k miles on these cats. Let me know if you want them. I've got too many parts sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I need the fronts. Would I be better off getting headers and a programmer ?
Quote from the stealership is $1500.00

·
Registered
432 Posts
Looks like I need the fronts. Would I be better off getting headers and a programmer ?
$1500?! Yes, go for headers and Uprev. It will cost a little less than $1500 and you'll be happier.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yep you'd be way better off paying for headers and uprev. Probably cost you almost 1100-1200 for both of those if you get long tubes. If you getbprofessionally installed maybe another 200-300 or you can do it your self. Plus the major gains you will have!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, now is the time for opinions.
What headers?
What is the benefit of uprev?
Would uprev be more beneficial then a programmer? Looks like the closest uprev shop is a few hundred miles away.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Stillen and Doug Thorleys are popular. If you can find them, Nismo headers are considered the best for Titans.

Uprev is the way to go with headers. A programmer can't give you the granular map that you'll need for headers.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Stocksux, You can get the headers first, read up on all the excellent install threads floating in the forum and do it yourself.

You can use a programmer with the headers, but according to consensus from the many smart cats on the forum Uprev is uptimum to get the best performance out of your add-ons mods. Which I agree is the best.

Do you have four cats? Depends on the year of your Titan. Best to look under your truck to confirm.

If your truck is 4x4 installing headers is much more difficult than the 4x2's.

Can you run headers with the codes present, the answer is yes. The codes will not kill your truck but the light is annoying. Some have run with it for years.

If the cats are bad it could possible be sucked in back to the engine and blow it up, according to those same smart cats. So is imperative to fix the problem, ASAP.

If you do get headers, get the long tubes for the ease of installation, shorties need welding with either extra piping or cats. Performance from either one is still up for debate around here.

SO.....

Will your truck blow up with headers and a programmer? No. Can you run headers without Uprev until you get the funds? Sure, it's just not the best way to go according to, you already know.

Finally do a search my brother, so you can make and educated plan of
attack. And ask away for confirmation. Good luck.

L

Reactions: stocksux

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If you wanna be cheap you can buy uprev for about 520 shipped then a set of JBA shorties for 396 off eBay I think and run no cats (since you have no emission). That would be cheaper than a grand and I got quoted for all my setup at $250 for everything including extra pipe and O2 bungs for my setup. I gotta good deal.

Ive always been told no cats=more power!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, so I looked into doign the factory cat replacement do to ease and downtime. Well, looks like all factory cats are on national backorder.
So here are a few options for headers, please chime in on opinions.
OBX: $350
JBA: $385
Thorley(longs): $627

What is the benefit of doing shorties instead of longs?
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Long tubes bolt up to the OEM B-pipes. Short tubes come without flanges and are shorter. So they don't bolt up to the oem B-pipes. So there needs to be some welding done for the install. People have spanned the gap between the end of the short tubes and the B-pipes using welding + various combinations of flang(es), pipe, cats.

Thorleys are on Ebay for $565 and he lists his phone number, so you might be able to buy outside of Ebay and knock off another few $.

·
Registered
686 Posts
An improved OEM design,
Titan Manifolds

I would call and double check they fit your year though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts