Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,heres my problem !
I Just got my Titan and completed the installation of a CB (cobra 29) to be exact and I get alot of noise from the fuel pump coming through my speaker.I know it's the fuel pump because if i let the truck sit and hit the gas pedal a few times ,then i turn the key over one click I hear the fuel pump pressurize the line through my radio before I even turn the key enough to engage the starter.I had a 2004 nissan Frontier before this truck and I would get deafning noise over a hand held CB just sitting in the car when it was running,I went to the Nissan dealer who sent me to his audio expert who agreed it was my fuel pump generating noise across the the entire cb band . The noise was coming throught the antenna where it was grounded to the truck I even went as far as to power the radio with a extra battery that had no connection to the truck other than powering my CB and was still just as noisy.My dealwer didn't believe my until I took my radioshack hand help 40 channel CB into his lot and got noise as soon as I approached every Nissan he started on the lot.

Some one must have had the same experience as me.

P.S. Tried toroids and filters on power lines made no difference the only thing that helped was ungrounding antenna ,but that made my SWR 's so high they were unsafe to transmit.

Any I deas?? :fktardxpl

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hmmm, Interesting. I think I would look at using a different grounding point. Maybe try grounding to the motor somewhere. You may have to install an inline filter so you don't get feedback from the motor, but I think that the filter will work for stopping motor feedback as opposed to fuel pump feedback, since the fuel pump is electronically controlled. I had a CB mounted in my Dodge Ram before I bought my Titan. I was a firefighter and had the sirens/lights...a lot of electronic goodies. I wired everything myself. I grounded my CB to a bracket on the motor and never had an issue. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would agree definitely a bad ground. make sure you have good contact with metal with a bolt that goes into the frame with a washer on the top and bottom of the ground connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is the better i ground it the more noise I get ,I welded a custum bracket thats bolted (each with 2 lock washers) to the 2 upper bolts on my factory trailer hitch.I have pictures I will post them.I ran 8 guage wire from the battery to the radio and I promise you the radio and antenna can not be better grounded.I Need to know if anyone that has a descent recieving radio installed in a titan can start the truck and not get a 3 s units jump in backround noise. This is not my first radio install as my pictures will prove but man do I miss mechanical fuel pumps !!

Thx for all the replies BTW I need all the help I can get.Pictures will be posted as soon as I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a few pics of my install and the construction of my antenna support.
cardboard template.JPG
Here is a pic of the old bed rail I used to build mount I got the suggestion from my Uncle Budd.
trial fit.JPG
Here is a pic of the welded bracket being trial fit on top of factory trailer hitch.
quick disconnect.JPG
This is the mount completed with quick disconnect for removing antenna in a hurry.
finished antenna mount.JPG
Notice I washed the truck for this pic showing antenna in place a 7' fire stick.
bracket completed.JPG
I opted to install the Radio in my center console for me it seemed like a easy access place with the benifit of being able to lock the radio hidden from sight.With armrest down on seat it is very comfortable fit for me.I have a mess of pics I will post some more at a later date showing how and where I ran wires.

·
Registered
202 Posts
your antenna, is so low and so close to the tail gate. that's is why your swr is so high. you need to install your antenna, on top of your bed like one member here. should not have any interference with the antenna. good ground is what you need on the antenna and cb radio.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Mr. X I agree with so.ca.vet I think you need to get your antena up in the air more like the link I posted in my earlier reply.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Couple suggestions:

(1) Agree with the above - the rule is that 2/3 rds of the antenna's length must be above the roofline.
(2) Wire your radio's power directly to the battery for the cleanest power.
(3) Get a voltmeter and check for proper grounds or unexpected shorts.

Here is a link to my post which shows my setup - I get SWR on channel 19 between 1.0 and 1.3.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit.../62729-cb-radio-antenna-install-pictures.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are more pics of the installed radio and wire connections
battery connection.JPG
That is 8 guage wire running right from the battery.
wires in looming.JPG
I covered the wires in plastic looming I got from lowes the smaller diameter is the one i installed the orange tie wraps are from the factory.

radio in place.JPG

Here is the radio in place it's a tight fit but the top closes with no clearence issues.

I am very happy with the way the install came out my SWR s are very low (The needle bearly moves on the meter!).However I am probably going to install some snap on RF chokes that are sold in Radio Shack,I had tried using them on my frontier but the noise from the fuel pump was overwhelming.The Titan is not half as bad but still I'm aiming for perfect or as close as I can get.The chokes can be opened up and snapped shut over a wire to remove RF signal from the wire they are installed on.In this case the feed line to the fuel pump which is strapped under the truck on the drivers side,no damage is done to the wires the chokes just snap shut over it.This should help a little.The correct way is to wrap the offending wire around the choke but I'm not cutting the wire and there isn't enough slack.
I'll repost with updated as soon as I have modifications complete.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and Luvbelly I have a ARE Tonneau cover on order that will cover the entire bed and side rails making the stake holes unusable .The antenna is pretty directional (best gain is foward) but have had good reports when I can here them over the noise :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Mr. X, I posted the link so you could see what titanic9 did with his install. The main point of my message was to contact him to see if he had the same issues with noise as you and if he did what he has done to deal with it. If he doesn't have this issue it is possible the reason lies with the differences in your antena install. What I thought you were looking for is if anyone else had the same issues as you, Titanic9 also seems to know what he is doing and I thought he could be a good resource for you. Good luck and keep trying.

·
Super Moderator
37,049 Posts
Here is 2 thoughts for you.

1. Check the voltage on your battery when the truck is running and not. With low voltage you can get extra noise at motors struggle to do their job.

2. The motor on the pump is putting out RF. As others have said get that antenna up in the air. Get a good mag mount and put it up on the roof of he truck.

OK, now I have to ask..... what kind of heater are you running with #8 wire. your preamp could be causing part of the problem. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been in contact with titanic9 He had some useful suggestions,I thank you Lubelly for the suggestion to contact him directly.
To be honest I can't bring myself to stick a magnet on the roof of the truck just yet since it has under a thousand miles on it,however I did borrow one from a local CB shop to see if it helped with the noise and it sounded the same,(was a wilson 1000 to be exact). I do have a 4 pill (pre amp) in the garage I hope to hook up once I get my noise issue resolved and I have a good idea how to completely fix the problem. Here is a link to a fix performed on a ford truck ttp://97vette.com/sporttrac/rfi_fix/rfi_fix.html .This is a well known issue among Ham Radio operators and they made such a fuss Ford actually designed a filter although I hear it's only partially succesful.For those who are interested I'll try to keep posting progress reports.

Put a H before the url I posted

·
Super Moderator
37,049 Posts
Mr X,

I am a HAM and have been installing radios for a long time. If what you say is true you have a ground problem and a choke or "7" may help. Your a little far or I would give you a bunch to try out.

Let us know your results.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mr.X said:
Oh and Luvbelly I have a ARE Tonneau cover on order that will cover the entire bed and side rails making the stake holes unusable .The antenna is pretty directional (best gain is foward) but have had good reports when I can here them over the noise :thumbsup:

You best reception will always be the direction of the ground plane. You mounted you antenna at the rear most position on the ground plane. ALL of you usable power will be forward, and slightly to the left, based on the choice of location. A radio could be about 1 mile behind you and you'll never hear it.

As already said, 2/3rd's of the antenna should be above the roof line. Yours is completely below it. The higher you mount it, and the more centered it's mounted, the better it will work for you.

Part of you noise problem is that the fuel pump is almost directly in line with your antenna ground plane. Move the antenna to the back of the cab and almost all of the noise will go away. You can mount it to the front lip of the bed, between the cab and bed, so it won't interfere with the bed cover. A shorter antenna mounted up on top of the cab will get great coverage. Every consider a roof rack? Mount twin KW2's mounted to the rear of a rack (one in each corner) would get you far better results. Swap that out for a pair of WK4 or 5's if you go out into the brush. That setup will get you an oval shaped coverage area with front a rear being close to equal, but the sides will be slightly less.

If you were in the PNW I'd be happy to help you sort it out, but NY is a bit far for me to travel in a weekend right now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
How's it coming? Did you get it sorted out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getting closer to clearer reception turned out the radio itself had a intermitten grounding problem where the mic was grounded inside the radio itself.That helped a bit but my daughters birthday is on Nov 2nd and I have been painting my dining room for the past 3 nights so prolly won't get to tear into the truck for a little while.I'll keep you posted after the festivities have subsided.
I love my Titan but the kids come first!:hat:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts