Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always had a CB radio in my trucks. Great thing to have for communicating with other drivers, listening to the big-rig truckers, and hearing reports about where the cops are sitting miles in advance of getting near them.

I recently completed my CB install in my '07 Titan SE King Cab 4x4. Figured I'd share the details to help anyone else that may be interested in a CB radio and antenna install. Note that I have the bucket seats with the center console. This presented a challenge, but I came out with what I consider a nice install.

Equipment installed:

• Antenna: Firestik II, black 3 foot, model FS3-B
  • Radio: Uniden Pro520XL
  • Spring: Firestik Heavy Duty Stainless Steel, model SS-3H
  • Mount: Firestik Stainless Steel Stakehole Mount, model SS-294A
  • Co-ax Cable: Firestik 18 foot with Fire Ring termination, model K-8R18
  • Wire: 16 gauge automotive from AutoZone or Advanced Auto
  • Wire Clips: From Lowes or Home Depot
  • Velcro Strips: Standard stuff from Lowes or Home Depot

Viewing the antenna.

Close up of the stakehole mount, fire ring co-ax cable termination, and spring.

Feed co-ax cable in through grommet on passenger-side lower rear corner of cab.
Run co-ax cable through holes behind rear cab liner.

Continue running co-ax cable through rear cab liner over to drivers side.

Run co-ax cable down behind rear driver-side seat, under floor plate, and around the front and then under the driver's seat.

Run power wires directly to battery for "clean" radio power without "dirty" interference from other circuits.

Use 2 of these wire clips under stock screws to hold power wires.

Run power wires into cab by sharing the hood latch cable grommet.

Place CB radio in tray next to center console, using velcro to hold upright.
Attach mic-hanger to dash with velcro or small screws.

Lastly, always remember to properly tune your antenna using an SWR meter. An informational "how-to" on how to do this can be found on the Firestik website.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Wallee likey.
Wallee has bench seat, but is looking for a deal on a CB.
Where did you find the antenna mount?

Reactions: OFELIPE

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Nice install, I have that same CB, although I don't have mine permanently installed, only use it on trips, but if I ever get bored I may consider installing similiar to yours.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigA how do you have the power wires rigged so you can quick disconnect them? I'd like to look into that so I can move the CB between my Titan and my Pathfinder.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Titanic9 said:
BigA how do you have the power wires rigged so you can quick disconnect them? I'd like to look into that so I can move the CB between my Titan and my Pathfinder.

I have the wires going into an adapter that plugs into the ciggerette lighter or accessory plug. I think you can get them at Radio shack.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Titanic9 said:
Wallee check out http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm and click the "Mounts & Accessories" link on the top. Then look on the left for the stakehole mounts.

To purchase Firestik parts and accessories I've had good experiences with http://www.walcottcb.com/ in Iowa or http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/ in Kentucky.

GI Joes is really wierd..but he has everything. I get my stuff there when I go to Richmond, Kentucky...sells out of an old mobile home at a truck stop. I'll post my install tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Great job, looks good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
silverkorn, that is my old 3 foot antenna from my Tacoma in the pictures. I was able to get SWR of about 1.3 on channel 19 after some tuning.

I've since updated to a 4 foot antenna and now I'm at SWR 1.5 on channels 1 and 40 and sitting right at 1.0 on channel 19.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes - exact same antenna only the longer 4 footer. It is a Firestik II (FS series).

·
Premium Member
75,998 Posts
what do you think about the handheld cb untis where all the controls are in the mic piece? titanblue had that set up in his truck @ the jersey meet and i thought it was great.. just plugged it into his cig lighter and hooked up an antena i believe

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Very nice and clean install!:cheers: I was not aware of that grommet on the rear of the cab and had to settle on running them through my rear sliding window (non-powered of course!) You got me wishing I had a center console instead of a bench, you should see where I had to mount my CB...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Here is my antenna mount

Quick release mount

Antenna

Antenna wire coming from bottom of stake pocket

Antenna and tailgate lock coming in the cab

No wires showing. We took the seat out to hide the wires really well.

This is the only antenna wire to be seen so far.

I'm probably going to mount the cb just like Titanic9 did.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
DeadRiver said:
what do you think about the handheld cb untis where all the controls are in the mic piece? titanblue had that set up in his truck @ the jersey meet and i thought it was great.. just plugged it into his cig lighter and hooked up an antena i believe
I had one and I thought it sounded bad...Mabey I had a bad one???

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
silverkorn said:
Bucky,

what kind of antenna is that, and any pics of the cb mounted?

i just picked up 16 gauge steel from Lowes for $10 and will be making my bracket tomorrow... pics to follow
Don't have the cb installed yet. Antenna came from a local truck stop.

You could have bought the whole mount for 16.00:bangit:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts