Nissan Titan Forum banner

Center console ice chest complete.

19K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  tsunamilogan05 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I finally did the center console ice chest mod. Original write up found here, http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/66927-center-console-ice-chest.html , Very simple to do and only took about an hour. I dropped a whole $3.79 on parts. The crew cab console is a bit different than the king cab because it has the vents and cup holder in the back. I was thrown off a little at first after seeing the original write up and pictures. Pretty self explanatory. TIP! For guys with crew cabs. After you have removed the console box, remove the air duct, vents, and cupholder. Then drill your hole and all that jazz. Just remember that the cup holder takes up some room so you need to make sure your hose has room to go around it and your source that takes the water out is low enough for the cup holder to fit back in. Then when you have got it all mocked up and ready to go, put the air duct and vents in. Then put the console box in. Next, through the hole where the cup holder goes, connect your tubes. You won't be able to do this from the top once you drop the box in so you MUST LEAVE THE CUP HOLDER OUT. After it is all connected, like my picture shows below, you can pop the cup holder back in from the outside. Just remember that once the cup holder is back in you can't get it out unless you remove everything and you would essentially have to rip out the piece you mounted to the box. Here are the pics.

Draining just as planned.

See less See more
#3 ·
so do you have a plug to keep the cold water in? any plans for insulation? did you connect the hose through the rear cup holder hole?

there is no ducting to the rear vents? wow.. guess spray foam around the inner box is out of the question..

sorry, i got lots of questions!!

#4 ·
No plug right now but I could easily make one. I probably wont do any insulation. There is ducting to the vents and you could fill it with foam I suppose but I'm not willing to do that. Too much work haha. Plus I will most likely only use this when I drive to the mountains and that is never much longer than 3 hours. I have had ice in it for almost 4 hours and it is still 3/4 full.

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the console box itself. Then drilled a 1/4" hole in the floor that just popped out the bottom of the truck. You go through two layers of steel that are about 2 1/2 inches apart. The elbow that is coming from the floor is connect to a 1/8 x 4" pipe that just sticks out of the bottom of the truck above the drive shaft.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

#6 ·
The top of the elbow is a male 1/4" and I used the thread and screwed it into the plastic along with some silicone. Then I taped it up for extra support. The other thing is as you can see in the picture, it sits just above a plastic part of the inner console so it is impossible to fall out. I tried the weld and it was an epic fail.

#7 ·
whats it look like from the bottom of the truck? just a hose sticking out from the body?

#8 ·
It is just the end of the pipe I put through the floor. It sticks out maybe a 1/4". I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. Look at the original write up for this, I just put it in my first post, and it looks just like his.

#10 ·
That's a cool mod!!! I got an idea for ya. You could use some type of insulation on the sides of the drop in cooler to keep it cool a little longer. Not sure if it would fit right, but an idea.

#11 ·
What about any condensation on the outer side of the box that would cause mold/mildew? or have you even noticed that?

#14 ·
I haven't noticed anything. It is pretty dry here though. The truck sat in the sun all day today, about 8 hours in direct sunlight with temps about 75 and the ice I put in yesterday afternoon is still there! I put a cup full of mountain due and ice in the console before I went in to work and came out 8 hours later and it the drink was just how I left it, full of ice and freezing cold. I couldn't believe it because the inside of the truck was like 1000000 degrees, seriously, it was that hot. (yeah I know it wasn't as hot as all you guys in the humid and super hot areas) but still. I think every titan owner needs to do this mod.

#13 ·
Not in our Houston 90+ % humidity.........LOL

#15 ·
i just finished making it! looks awesome and works great too! cant wait to put it to use this weekend! Thanks for the help!

#17 ·
So your vents and cupholders are fully functional then right? I would like to do this, but would like to keep those working. I do normally store stuff in here but I think I can find room elsewhere with all the cubby holes we have in this truck

#19 ·
Yeah everything is still functional. My console was just full of clutter so I don't mind having it empty. Also, it is still functional as a console if you choose to do that. I actually through the rubber piece back in a few days ago so I could keep some paperwork in their for the weekend.

#20 ·
Do you have any problems with the water sloshing around once it starts to melt?

#22 ·
Nope, it seems to drain quite nicely. I am conscious of parking on a slope when there is ice in it though. I make sure the water will head for the back.

#21 ·
How is it do you keep then condinsation out? I mean like wont that lead to mold?

#23 ·
I haven't noticed any condensation yet but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Plus with the dry air here in CO it isn't as prevalent as other climates. I'm sure if it were used on a regular basis it may be a cause for concern.

Reactions: Big_Rob
#24 ·
OK well I just finished up the ice chest console mod I was pressed for time so all my silicone hasnt dried up 100% before I had to slap it back together but i did a test by pouring a bottle of watter through it and it appears that it all ran out the bottom. Now I have it about 1/3 the way full of ice so we'll see how that goes! great mod and write up!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.