Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. I've now got about 825 miles on my new 19' Platinum Reserve. My truck was manufactured 9/18 so the oil in it is quite old now. I'm also taking it on a ~400 mile trip on 2/1 so I'm planning to change the oil between now and then. I'm a DIY guy- I normally do all maintenance and minor repairs myself unless it's serious mechanical work that I don't have the equipment or expertise for. I'm almost thinking about letting the dealer do my oil changes because IF my engine develops "the knock" I don't wan't the reason why my warranty claim gets denied to be because they don't have service records on hand.

What do you DIY'ers think?

·
Premium Member
3,456 Posts
I buy my filters from Nissan and keep the receipts. I use full synthetic 0w-20 Mobil 1 and also save the receipts. On the flap from the filter I write the date and mileage each time and there should never be a problem. As far as the engine issue, it’s a known problem and they can’t point to you as the cause.

Clint

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also use the factory filters with Mobil 1 full synthetic 0-20 oil. My wife drives a 17 Armada and the power plant is virtually identical. I’ll need to start saving my receipts. I may also start to snap a pic of the oil draining with my phone because the phone puts date and time stamps on each picture. This way there is photographic evidence that oil was changed on a specific date at a specific mileage.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hey Guys. I've now got about 825 miles on my new 19' Platinum Reserve. My truck was manufactured 9/18 so the oil in it is quite old now. I'm also taking it on a ~400 mile trip on 2/1 so I'm planning to change the oil between now and then. I'm a DIY guy- I normally do all maintenance and minor repairs myself unless it's serious mechanical work that I don't have the equipment or expertise for. I'm almost thinking about letting the dealer do my oil changes because IF my engine develops "the knock" I don't wan't the reason why my warranty claim gets denied to be because they don't have service records on hand.

I’m diy as well.. I use Nissan filters and M1 oil..

Unfortunately my 11/18 built 19’ developed the knock.. Started to notice around 12k..

My 9/17 built 18’Armada has the knock first noticed around 19k... I have 31k on it now and the sound has not become any worse.. My 19’ Titan seems much louder that the Armada..

I had a 5/17 build 17’ SL with almost 40k never developed the issue along with a 16’ XD gas 3/16 build that never developed the knock..

This issue is so strange..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have never ever had a dealer ask me to prove proper maintenance on a vehicle. Especially for a known issue. I had a dealer once look at the selling dealer's decal on the vehicle and make a snide comment but I reminded him that it was a FACTORY warranty.

I write in the owner's manual when I performed the service where the dealer is supposed to write an entry.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I got free maintenance for 2 years as part of sale promo. So in my case Nissan do all the maintenance.

As long as you have the records it should be OK and legal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got free maintenance for 2 years as part of sale promo. So in my case Nissan do all the maintenance.

As long as you have the records it should be OK and legal.
I don’t have records of when I bought the oil and filters but I’m actually headed out to the garage now to change it and I plan to take a video as the oil is draining. The video will be time and date stamped on my phone and will show the oil physically draining, the mileage and the vin.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don’t have records of when I bought the oil and filters but I’m actually headed out to the garage now to change it and I plan to take a video as the oil is draining. The video will be time and date stamped on my phone and will show the oil physically draining, the mileage and the vin.
Another thing you can do is to get a periodic oil analysis done showing engine is in good health. The report will also show if the oil is still protecting the engine...

I use Blackstone and usually do it every 20k miles... Cost about $50

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing you can do is to get a periodic oil analysis done showing engine is in good health. The report will also show if the oil is still protecting the engine...

I use Blackstone and usually do it every 20k miles... Cost about $50
That is a good idea! I actually want to do an oil analysis on my wife's 17 Armada which has a slight knock at cold idle when in gear.

Yesterday on the Titan, I changed the filter and pulled the drain plug. I took my phone and recorded a video of the oil draining, the new Nissan filter installed with the old filter on the ground below it and then got up and videoed the VIN and the odometer. Then I took another video, showed the VIN and the odometer again and videoed myself putting 7 quarts of Mobil 1 full synthetic 0W-20 back into it. The video's are time and date stamped on my phone so if I ever had to prove the oil change was done this should be sufficient.

I would gladly upload the video's for you guys to see but the file's are way too large. I have them saved on my phone and on my computer and I will keep doing this with each oil change. I think this is good enough that if I were to develop the knock they can't deny me out of suspicion that the oil was never changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts