Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 Nissan Titan 36,000 Mile and check engine light came on. Gas cap is tight. I understand check engine light is mostly emission related. Could modification of exhaust cause this. I am still going to take to a dealer but could someone walk me through a ECU reset

·
Super Moderator
161,053 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
I have a 04 Nissan Titan 36,000 Mile and check engine light came on. Gas cap is tight. I understand check engine light is mostly emission related. Could modification of exhaust cause this. I am still going to take to a dealer but could someone walk me through a ECU reset
NO, the check engine light can be anything not just emission. Go get the code pull or pull it yourself per the instructions.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Yeah go to autozone or any other autopart store. They can read the code which tells you why it's on in the first place, then clear the code, all for FREE.

And to reset the ECU, some people try the pedel key method, I tried it and failed. So I just unplugged the battery after I parked it that night, then plugged the battery back in next morning and was good to go.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
NO, the check engine light can be anything not just emission. Go get the code pull or pull it yourself per the instructions.
Actually t he owners manual pretty much says emissions if it is on solid. Blinking is bad and can mean misfiring and more.

FWIW if it is solid and cap is tight I am betting evap valve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got truck back from dealer today. Prognisis....evap canister vent control valve stuck. Had oil changed in trainy and transfer case. Truck performance appears superior. Thanks for the feedback

1 - 7 of 7 Posts