Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First i'd like to say im happy to find this board and become a member!
I'm sure theres lots to learn and ideas to share for out titans.
So on the way home from the dealer my check engine light comes on.
I return back to the dealer the same day,service department is closed by then,So they tell me it prolly was the gas cap not being on tight enough,Come back monday and we'll take a look at it.
Monday comes i return wait around for 2 hours to find out that no codes have showed up and they are not seeing anything wrong!
They reset the computer and im on my way just waiting for this light to reappear.
Well after driving about 50 miles the light came back on again today.
I called the dealer back and i'll be returning tomorrow again.
This is not a pleasant experience for me i didnt buy a $36,000 vehicle to stare at a service engine soon light!
I hope its something simple, any ideas? im trying not to worry but it just depresses to think about it.
Overall i love the truck so far im hoping i dont have a lemon...
P.S no signs of anything being abnormal as far as idle,acceleration,ect.
2008 titan crew cab se, tow package

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
First off welcome to TT. Go to Autozone or similar and have them pull the code. With the code we can help you better. The SES light can be anything from a simple gas cap not tight to major stuffs. Unless you reset the ECU the code should be stored in the ECU, not sure why they cannot pull the code. Good luck and hope it's nothing major.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Baseball is right.
If the light is on, there is a reason why, and there should be a code.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Welcome to T.T.! This has worked on previous year models, so maybe it'll work on an '08 too!

You can use these instructions to pull the code yourself if you don't want to wait for the dealer:

1. Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
2. Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
3. Wait seven seconds, then fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.
4. Release the accelerator pedal and count the flashes to obtain the four-digit code.
5. Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
6. The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits. Count these blinks to complete the four digit code.
7. The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
8. If you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.
9. Clear the code by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

After you get the code, post it here or click this link to find a chart listing what the codes mean:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Common/codes3.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update:
returned to dealer today,while i was there a small tornado decided to pass through and take out the power.
waited for 2 hours for it to come back on but never did.
Told dealer i would return tomorrow and i would like a rental waiting for me when i arrive,and i do not want the truck back untill the problem is figured out.Tomorrow will be my third trip back but 2nd time the truck was looked at.
i guess it all just goes along with my luck which seems to be pretty bad latly.
BY the way the code pulled was (P0171) fuel system lean, bank 1
any ideas ? thanks for all of your replies.
P.S the ses light comes on at about 30 to 35 miles after being reset.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Sounds like a bad oxygen sensor in bank 1. If it was an intake leak, I would think it would throw codes for both banks running lean. It also could be something like a smal air leak at the exhaust manifold flange on bank 1.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Baseball, you're the man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
baseballfanz said:
P0171, the chart show possible cause.
thanks man.
Atleast i know the dealer is being honest with me.
All of the above reasons that baseballfanz has posted is what they told me the problem may be.
Today i went back to the dealer for service again.
BUt this time the ses light has not come back on.(drove about 40 miles)
GO figure when i want it to come back on it didnt.
They gave me the choice to take my truck for the weekend ,see if the light comes back on by monday, or for them to further investgate the problem and give me a rental.
I chose to leave it and address the problem.

So now here i am beatin the **** outta this nissan altima they gave me.
Atleast im getting some fun outta the situation
I'll repost when i find out what the problem was.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:
Got my truck back today and figured i'd let you guys know what the problem was.
erratic/failing air fuel ratio sensor bank 1.
with only like 40,50 miles on the truck!?
im hoping to have no more problems for awhile.
keep your fingers crossed for my titan and thanks for all your info.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Glad you got it squared away!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts