Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4x in Baja Storm
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i checked the rear diff fluid level in my 2020 pro-4x. Put my pinky in and it was way down in there.my pinky, past the last knuckle, is about 1" long. The specs on the rear diff have the full line being anywhere from 1/4: down all the way up to some smaller distance from the bottom of the fill hole. I put in enough where i was getting fluid on the tip of my pinky. which in my estimation is about 1/4" down from the fill hole. Each diff's check procedure shows it's value below the hole and the word nominal above it. So can we fill these things to the bottom of the hole? Seems silly that you have to measure, somehow, how much is in there. Does the FSM inspection page mean that it shouldn't be lower than that? That you can fill to bottom of the fill hole but keep it no lower than the value they list?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so the FSM states that the level is not filled to the bottom of the fill hole rather it is filled to the spec listed. Why couldn't they just say fill to bottom like most do versus having to try and figure out if the fluid level is right or not? Seems like this would have been engineered in? Seems ridiculous. Am i overthinking it?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Be careful with the front diff since the fill plug is located high on the unit.. U need a dipstick to check it and the fsm provides instructions on how to make a homemade one out of wire...

I need to check mine rear diff as well... the oil level is usually around a 1/2 inch or so below the fill plug...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, i read that too. something so easy made so complex. LOL. I won't touch the front diff till i do a service on it in 12k miles.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Read the section on changing the tranny fluid...

Thats gonna be a learning experience....

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
374 Posts
you probably cannot fill to the bottom because of fluif expansion when it heats up maybe causing the seals to blow out, or maybe it just froths up and comes out the vent or axle seals?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right. just wish they would have designed it so that it will fill to bottom of the hole. but i can adapt i am sure. seems less accurate the new way. more prone to error- how do you measure inside the hole down. LOL

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
374 Posts
We have L shaped pieces of metal at work for checking the fluid on helicopter tail and intermediate gearboxes. They are the same way

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i called nissan corp. lady said i have either an rd29 or rd33 rear diff but couldn't say which. they said dealer should know but i told her they don't as i have already asked them and they told me they don't know. so she escalated up in her chain. i mean, did aliens build this thing? why such a secret? LOL.. Also, she told me that if i did my own maintenance i would void the warranty. not might. but would. i schooled her on the magnusson-moss act of 1975. LOL. She had an indian accent so maybe she just doesn't know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts