Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't the Mr. Clean system need refills?
Here in NJ an exterior wash is about $11 so if I went for most of a year I'd spend this anyway. Yes it's not cheap but sure is cool. You could split the cost with a friend.

Clint

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
yeah it needs refills after 1 or 2 washes depending on the hardness of the water and how much water you put through it but $420 worth? I don't know that you would go through that much Mr. Clean

·
Vendor
32,925 Posts
Clint said:
Doesn't the Mr. Clean system need refills?
Here in NJ an exterior wash is about $11 so if I went for most of a year I'd spend this anyway. Yes it's not cheap but sure is cool. You could split the cost with a friend.

Clint

Yes on the refills. I guess if you look at that way it could pay for it in a year or two. If someone is willing to share even better.

·
Super Moderator
159,628 Posts
I'm not sure I'm buying it. I know that frequently when my truck gets water spots, it's most often not from the water, but what was floating around in the AIR (like dust, pollen, etc.) that got stuck to the water droplets and then dried there. Just a thought.

·
Registered
976 Posts
wouldn't sweating some pipe off your water softener to a tap in your garage, and running a hose off it give you the same thing?

That unit just looks like a portable water softener to me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Las Vegas water is so hard, I have to buy refills after each wash. Pisser.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm not professing to be a water conditioning expert, but I do a lot of research on car detailing, and I can tell you that simply softened water does not do a lot to prevent water spots...soft water replaces one set of minerals for another...the total dissolved solids are basically the same. Soft water will give better suds and the washing will be more effective.

That is WAY too much money to spend on what is in the end a rinse. You could do the same thing two different ways...buy some quality waffle weave microfiber drying towells and simply dry the vehicle when you are done washing, or get an inexpensive Reverse Osmosis system and install it yourself. For under $200.00, you get RO water to drink, and every day or so, just fill a gallon jug and then fill a pump up garden sprayer with a few gallons over a few days, then use that for your final "spot free" rinse. It takes a little more water for our titans than a prius, ubt can still be done. I just use the towel.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Or you can just give puretec a call and they will set you up with a system. The last quote I got was $42 a month and $60 for when I need a bottle change out about once a year. It's worth it for me having 4 cars and a motorcycle.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
baseballfanz said:
For a few hundred more, you can get a water softiner for the whole house. When I had a water softiner at my old house, washing car wash nice. No spot even if I don't dry it.
Bingo! I had a water filtration/softener sytem installed when I had my house built... The system is made by LifeSource (lifesourcewater.com). It is a carbon filtration system that breaks down the minerals and keeps them from bonding to surfaces. Supposedly the tank that I have is good for 18 yrs. of service before being changed out... After I wash the Titan, I let it air dry and run a damp rag over it to clean the spots that are left from large beads of water and excess drips.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well I got tired of spending so much time drying off my Harley that I purchased an 8 HP blow dryer for it. The air is heated and filtered and it sorta looks like a laydown tank type vacume cleaner. But I tried it out on the Titan and it works great. No water spots can stand still in a 200 MPH Hot Wind. No more towles and scratches for me......

·
Registered
86 Posts
ill second the water being extreamly hard in vegas, we dont have a water softener so after i shower i can smell the chlorine they put in the water on my arms for quite a while, there for i find i pointless to take a shower after being in a clean pool cause the water has just as much chlorine in it, or almost as much.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
those that have or have had water softeners...did you notice a big pressure drop in your water after having one installed?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts