Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to check my tire pressure this afternoon after getting home from work. 44.5 - 47 psi!!! Umm, apparently Nissan is filling these tires to a high pressure to seat the tire bead and not setting them to the correct pressure afterwards. I'll tell you, the steering wheel is MUCH happier staying put in the center going down the highway with 10 - 12 psi less pressure in the tires! So, CHECK YOUR PRESSURE!

Oh, and I used two different gauges just to make sure I wasn't nuts, or using faulty equipment when I got the high readings the first time...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Check the printing on your side walls. I believe that for the tires that come on the 18" wheels that 44 lbs. is correct.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have an SE 4x4 w/Off Road. 17s. The sticker on the door says 35psi all around... And, never go by the pressure on the sidewall of a tire. That's max pressure. You need to go by correct pressure for your vehicle which can be found on a sticker inside the driver's door and in your owner's manual. 44 may be correct for the Titans with 18s, I don't know, but I know mine is not...

·
Registered
823 Posts
robertc said:
Check the printing on your side walls. I believe that for the tires that come on the 18" wheels that 44 lbs. is correct.
Robert, 44 is the max. pressure allowed for the tire. The correct operating pressure is determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle and that is 35psi.

·
Registered
823 Posts
stevnmd said:
I decided to check my tire pressure this afternoon after getting home from work. 44.5 - 47 psi!!! Umm, apparently Nissan is filling these tires to a high pressure to seat the tire bead and not setting them to the correct pressure afterwards. I'll tell you, the steering wheel is MUCH happier staying put in the center going down the highway with 10 - 12 psi less pressure in the tires! So, CHECK YOUR PRESSURE!

Oh, and I used two different gauges just to make sure I wasn't nuts, or using faulty equipment when I got the high readings the first time...
By the sounds of things Steve most everyones truck is being delivered like this. It's a good thing you checked because it makes a BIG difference in the way the truck handles and drives with the tires at 35.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JetForeman said:
By the sounds of things Steve most everyones truck is being delivered like this. It's a good thing you checked because it makes a BIG difference in the way the truck handles and drives with the tires at 35.
Yup, like I said, I imagine Nissan has good reason to do it. Most of the time when you get tires mounted the installer will over-inflate the tires to make sure that bead gets seated well. Heck the last time I had tires mounted for one of my bikes I checked the pressure after picking them up and they were at 57 lbs. I ALWAYS check my pressure immediately after getting tires installed, but didn't think I'd have to on a new vehicle. I'm glad I did. Trust me, holding a straight line down the highway is a lot easier now with the proper pressure! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
----->>>>>RUN OUTSIDE TO CHECK TIRE PRESSURE<<<<<<--------
Damn if you all were not right! Thanks for the info!
Moron Titan Owner :teethmast :cheers:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Lets review some receint history. Ford was recomending that a on all its ford explorers, they wanted 28 psi in the 44 psi tires.

This is where the court case came from. Tires after that were recomended that they all be delivered between 3-5 lbs under the max pressure.

Now it is swinging back the other way. Manufacturers have not updated their method for printing the stickers and the sticker information.

I follow the tire manufacturers recomentations and go with 3-5 under. I have always had even tire depth.

Pay attention to your tire wear pattern, that is the best indication of proper air pressure. Central wear is too much air. Sholder wear, even amounts, is from low tire pressure.

BE CAREFUL if you lower the pressure down below the tire recomendations. I would doubt that nissan makes 6 different sets of stickers. XE,LE,SE * KC,CC
each should have different tire pressures due to different weights and tire sizes.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
At delivery of mine (17" OR Pkg) they all had 43pds in them. I ran them the first 1300 miles that way and you could see that almost an inch on the inner and outer areas weren't even touched. I have lowered them to 37 and have nice wear now. This was an easy check by having a sand residue from my garage floor cleanup still on the floor and rolling the truck on that.

Chris

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just gotta say that this is one of the really great things about being a part of this forum...so many things are brought up that everyone needs to know, but would never occur to the average owner...any Titan owner who's not clued into Titan Talk is really missing out! This is the power of the Net at its finest! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just gotta say that this is one of the really great things about being a part of this forum...so many things are brought up that everyone needs to know, but would never occur to the average owner...any Titan owner who's not clued into Titan Talk is really missing out! This is the power of the Net at its finest!
:cheers:
ohh..first time poster, long time reader.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just go in the middle!

In the past, I've heard numerous reasons as to which pressure to use, the one from the auto manufacturer or the one printed on the tire. It's been my experience that, for the most part, auto manufacturers suggest approximately 35psi. Also, most tires I've used have a max. pressure of about 44psi. To make it easy, I just set all my vehicles to 40psi and I'm done with it! I've done that for years and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
tire

You really have to watch how much you inflate the tire. That is Max. pressure on the sidewall. If you inflate close to that number, then drive, that will really increase the pressure, especially in summer. I have always went with the car manufacturer's numbers and have always had long tire life and even wear. Ford's case was unique in that it seems that firestone and ford did not work the numbers out correctly. The tire manufacturer usually plays a role in the tire for the vehicle, especially a new vehicle like the Titan which Nissan has never had before.

·
Registered
202 Posts
One has to be careful with tire pressure with a truck because of the large differences in weight between empty and loaded. You could increase the load on the rear tires by as much as 50% or more by loading the bed to max capacity. That makes a big difference particularly when it is hot. High temps can cause tire failure. Manufacturer recomendations should work well most of the time.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
stevnmd said:
Well, I have an SE 4x4 w/Off Road. 17s. The sticker on the door says 35psi all around... And, never go by the pressure on the sidewall of a tire. That's max pressure. You need to go by correct pressure for your vehicle which can be found on a sticker inside the driver's door and in your owner's manual. 44 may be correct for the Titans with 18s, I don't know, but I know mine is not...
I haven't checked my tire pressure yet, but I will. I was reading my owners manual and it states 35psi for all makes and sizes of tires available on the truck (17 or 18). The door jam says 35psi. I have always been told to follow the vehicle manufacturers recomendations for tire pressure. Not the tires, and that the manufacturer does extensive testing of these tires and vehicle combinations to determine the pressures that are required. Confused, should I follow the manufacturer or tire company? :confused:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Deepwater said:
Confused, should I follow the manufacturer or tire company? :confused:
Read the previous replies. 44psi is the MAXIMUM safe tire pressure per the manufacturer's specifications... It is not a suggested or recommended pressure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Briarman said:
Just gotta say that this is one of the really great things about being a part of this forum...so many things are brought up that everyone needs to know, but would never occur to the average owner...any Titan owner who's not clued into Titan Talk is really missing out! This is the power of the Net at its finest! :)
By far this is the best Titan forum that I've found on the net. Keep the info flowing!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Cali...

That was the information I was looking for. Which tires showed the decreased tread width?

I know that real world the weight of the vehicle is near 60/40 (front heavy)

I was thinking of going 40/37 unloaded.
40/40 towing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Deepwater said:
I haven't checked my tire pressure yet, but I will. I was reading my owners manual and it states 35psi for all makes and sizes of tires available on the truck (17 or 18). The door jam says 35psi. I have always been told to follow the vehicle manufacturers recomendations for tire pressure. Not the tires, and that the manufacturer does extensive testing of these tires and vehicle combinations to determine the pressures that are required. Confused, should I follow the manufacturer or tire company? :confused:
This is absouletly correct. I used to mount tires at Sam's Club years ago and the proper inflation is listed in the door jams. Inflating to max pressure is not the way to do things, however, I haven't owned a truck in quite awhile and am not sure if they give different pressures for the back tires when loaded or if they incorporate the inflation number on the door jam considering both loaded and unloaded.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just got off the phone with my dealer's service dept. and they said to use the pressure listed on the door jamb. I also let them know that they are sending trucks out off their lot with the tires over inflated and they are going to correct it. You can sure learn a lot on this forum.
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts