Nissan Titan Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
The following recommendation is from the Rubber Association of Canada (betiresmart.ca):
Correct Tire Pressure
Correct tire pressure varies from vehicle to vehicle and wheel to wheel. In fact, the recommended pressure for personal vehicles ranges from 20 to over 50 psi.
The correct tire pressure for your vehicle is listed on the information placard. This placard is normally located on the edge of one of the doors, the inside post of one of vehicle's doors or inside the glove compartment, trunk, or fuel door. Your owner's manual should include the correct tire pressure or direct you to the placard's location on your vehicle.
The pressure listed on the tire sidewall is the maximum tire pressure - or the tire pressure that is required to carry the maximum load of the tire. It is not the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure, which is a common misperception.

·
Registered
780 Posts
mine were in the upper 40s

i checked as soon as i left the dealer's lot: got 'em down to 35 psi

·
Registered
189 Posts
One of my other cars is a Miata. I left a shop once and I was bouncing like a pogo stick (you kids can Google it to see what it is). When I got home I realized that they put over 35 pounds in the tires. A Miata is made to run with 26 (on the door). Always trust the manufacturer.

When I first got the Titan I had a problem with the steering wandering on the freeway. The dealer (the same dealer as RobertC but in a different city) checked the tires and lowered them to 35. They then went back and smacked the new car prep guy around for a while. Problem solved.

Tony B

·
Registered
47 Posts
well just checked mine and they all were at 37psi, right on the money !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Went out and checked the computer readout for tire pressure. They varied from 34 to 37 which I figure is good based on what everyone is saying.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Doghouse said:
Cali...

That was the information I was looking for. Which tires showed the decreased tread width?

I know that real world the weight of the vehicle is near 60/40 (front heavy)

I was thinking of going 40/37 unloaded.
40/40 towing.
Doghouse...

The rears showed less contact patch than the fronts by about a 1/4" each side with the high pressure in them than the fronts.

I went straight 37 all around. Truck feels right on with this setup to me. I have only towed a boat for a bud twice now though and only for 7 miles each way so no long haul stuff yet.

Chris

·
Registered
84 Posts
What if...

You replace your vehicle's tires with another brand/type of tire? Do you still go with the door jamb recommendation, or do you then go by the sidewall information? This question is for all vehicles not just the Titan.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Personally, I start with the mfg recommendation and watch my wear and contact patches and adjust from there. Most times it about right on with the mfg recommendation. As you see now, I am running 2pds over thier recommendation at the moment based on 'feel' and in hopes to eek just a tad better gas milage without compromising safety of course.

Chris

·
Registered
647 Posts
After my wife had a tire pop on our Odyssey after clipping something on the freeway, I checked the other tires and they all had over 50psi in them! It's no wonder the side wall popped instead of giving. Unfortunately it was 6 months after buying the van and I could prove to the dealer that it didn't leave the lot that way. Really pissed me off :flame: so now I always check my tires myself even after servicing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
After confirming what the correct pressures should be I checked before the ride home from work and they ranged46-50psi. So I took them down to 37-38 in the parking lot at work and then called the dealers service dept. And of course this was the first they heard of it. they assumed the factory was prepping the tires but I don't know about that. I drove 1000 miles on over inflated tires.
I hope it wasn't enough to greatly shorten their life span.
No wonder when I hit a pothole I felt like my teeth were being knocked out. It rides a lot smoother now. I like my truck but it sems like us here on the forum are having to work out a lot of the small problems ourselves like it is some kind of R&D project. Their needs to be some quality control involved before and after these trucks hit the sales lot. And of course when you report them to Nissan it's always the first they have heard of it.
Sorry for the ranting. :huh: :huh:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Whenever I buy a new vehicle, the first thing I do when I get it home is check the tire pressures and adjust as necessary. It's a lot less stressful and time consuming than ranting about dealer prep, or calling the service department. And I will also check all the fluid levels, including the differentials and transfer case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tire pressures

You can obtain a table from the tire manufacturer (dealer) that states the recommended tire pressure for the load on that tire. I put 60psi in my Dodge tires when empty and 80psi when towing. An easy way to check is to draw a thick chalk line across the tread, drive fifty feet or so and check the chalk. If the outside is worn off but not the middle, add air. If the middle is worn off but not the outside, reduce the pressure. Masking tape also works, but you have to go a little farther to see the results. It is expensive to drive 2000 miles to see where the rubber wears, because then you have to go the other way to even them up. Try the chalk trick, it works.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tire Pressure

All Nissan vehicles are shipped from the factory with approximately 45psi in the tires. This is done to protect them during shipping and is not the correct operating pressure. 35 psi is correct and you should never run less. Do Ford Explorer rollovers ring a bell? The dealer is supposed to adjust the tire pressure as part of the PDI (pre delivery inspection). If the tire pressure is 45psi when you get your truck, I would wonder what else the dealer didn't check before delivery.

Ron

·
Registered
330 Posts
robertc

Posts: 79 After confirming what the correct pressures should be I checked before the ride home from work and they ranged46-50psi. So I took them down to 37-38 in the parking lot at work and then called the dealers service dept. And of course this was the first they heard of it. they assumed the factory was prepping the tires but I don't know about that. I drove 1000 miles on over inflated tires.
I hope it wasn't enough to greatly shorten their life span.
No wonder when I hit a pothole I felt like my teeth were being knocked out. It rides a lot smoother now. I like my truck but it sems like us here on the forum are having to work out a lot of the small problems ourselves like it is some kind of R&D project. Their needs to be some quality control involved before and after these trucks hit the sales lot. And of course when you report them to Nissan it's always the first they have heard of it.
Sorry for the ranting.

Sometimes it makes you wonder if a Japanese guy should be over here at the plant and dealerships as well to make sure "the locals" do what they are supposed too.
Americans have been known to get lazy (me too) but I still expect things to be done correctly. We shouldn't be the R & D department there's no check in the mail for us.

Light up the board and I'll take my beating. :boxing:

·
Registered
202 Posts
My Titan came from the dealership with 35 psi in all the tires. Some dealers must be doing their job. It also has had no rattles or any other noises.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Calif,

I decided to check mine. Fronts @ 35 rears 32!

Rears look OK and even with no load.

Fronts, all outer shoulder wear, to the point of feathering starting on the shoulder of the blocks. Paint is not completely worn off the center of the tread.

Changed the fronts to 40 to even out the wear a little. I agree 37 / 35 looks about right for no load COLD pressure. The ride is much more controlled and handling is much improved!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Sabre66 said:
Checked mine after a 1/2 hour cruise on Sunday and they were all set at 34 psi. They ride and look fine to me, so i'm leaving them as is.
You may want to check them cold. If your only getting 34 after a 30 minute ride than I would guess your cold pressure to about 31 which is way too low. Just a thought.....

21 - 39 of 39 Posts