Nissan Titan Forum banner

Will the 5.6 be more or less coveted in the next few years as electric begins to displace V8s? Why?

• The 5.6 will appreciate in value.

• The 5.6 will depreciate in value.

• I ate paste as a kid, and just like clicking stuff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, it's just the V6 and the 5.3 liter V8, but the 5.3 liter V8 was at one point the workhorse of the bowtie. With Toyota already showing that it's let go of the V8 in its new offering, will that mean that the 5.6 is going to gain or lose value? I figure in about 3-4 years, V8s will be the minority in powertrain options for trucks. Hell, I'm not going to lie I looked at the Lightning and the Hummer mostly because then I would have one vehicle that could take the place of both my toy and my Titan.

This is Chevy's plan going forward. Next-Generation Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra To Get New Powertrains

I find it interesting that they're keeping the turbo-4 as I can't imagine it being that popular, but I guess some people just need a family hauler with some utility. Oh and for the record, I find Chevy's styling to be just way out there, and not in a good way.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Plant

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
There will always be gas engine fans..

I like the idea of an electric truck but the technology still needs some more improvements…

Till then I will be burning the worlds remaining fossil fuels…

Remember in the late 90’s early 00’s battery powered drills totally sucked.. no power and short battery life…

Today I own about every Ryobi 18 volt “one plus” tool made!!!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There will always be gas engine fans..

I like the idea of an electric truck but the technology still needs some more improvements…

Till then I will be burning the worlds remaining fossil fuels…

Remember in the late 90’s early 00’s battery powered drills totally sucked.. no power and short battery life…

Today I own about every Ryobi 18 volt “one plus” tool made!!!
I also remember how bad rechargeable batteries were at one point. I used to be an early adopter, but man those first year vehicles are bad enough without introducing new technology. Maybe in 2-3 years I'll look at an electric vehicle, doesn't necessarily have to be a truck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sure, it's just the V6 and the 5.3 liter V8, but the 5.3 liter V8 was at one point the workhorse of the bowtie. With Toyota already showing that it's let go of the V8 in its new offering, will that mean that the 5.6 is going to gain or lose value? I figure in about 3-4 years, V8s will be the minority in powertrain options for trucks. Hell, I'm not going to lie I looked at the Lightning and the Hummer mostly because then I would have one vehicle that could take the place of both my toy and my Titan.

This is Chevy's plan going forward. Next-Generation Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra To Get New Powertrains

I find it interesting that they're keeping the turbo-4 as I can't imagine it being that popular, but I guess some people just need a family hauler with some utility. Oh and for the record, I find Chevy's styling to be just way out there, and not in a good way.

View attachment 555072
Since the 2.7 I-4 Turbo has more torque than the GM 5.3 V8 and the 5.6 Nissan V8, peaking at lower rpms, seems like a viable option to keep around for a base powertrain. It's only been around for a few yrs anyway. It has the most standard torque in the segment (420 ft-lbs @ 3k rpms), while the Titan still has the most standard horsepower (400 hp). I still prefer the Titan, and the only way I would buy a GM truck would be if it has the 6.2 V8 or maybe the 3.0 I-6 diesel (though I'm not sure I would want to deal with all the maintenance costs and emissions controls down the road of a diesel).

As for electrification, I wouldn't be opposed to a hybrid truck as towing range/recharge times would be limiting factors regarding full electric. Electric motors are great at producing instant torque for towing applications (locomotives and heavy earth movers have used series hybrids for decades for this reason).

I love the Titan V8 sounds, which will never be replaced by turbo 4s or 6s, or electrics/non-V8 hybrids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey ya all... new here and first time Nissan titan owner ... I've had a few other trucks and find the Titan 4 door Platinum SV 4X4 drives like a 2500 in other brands (solid yet fairly nimble c'mon man it's a truck) plus the Nissan engine is really one Bad *** the trans is jerky but I don't pay any attention to it --- problems with Nissan marketing and issues with earlier Titan models have hurt sales and popularity PLUS the yucky fuel economy doesn't help... why is it the 2 best trucks; Titan & Tundra are on the bottom of the sales pile?? and yet I find my 2017 Titan to be a first class Texas Limo :giggle: best of all it hauls butt... really even with all the extra 4X4 weight it's a mover!! Well, gotta boogie fer now, catch up later - Doc

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I work in electrical wire and cable, so we pay particular attention to trends like this. While I'm more than happy for people to retrofit their houses with heavier gauge wiring to feed electric vehicle charging, I'm not adopting right now. I did the math, alongside several engineers in our plant, and every one of us came to the same conclusion - the electric vehicle isn't yet cost effective. I commute 90mi a day round trip to the office, in a Titan, and even with the best electric, I couldn't make the savings pay off. It would cost me more in added household electricity and acquisition cost to get an electric than I could save over the average battery life of the vehicle, and battery replacement is effectively catastrophic cost so when that comes, you have a junk car. Even with the mileage of the Titan the math doesn't yet work, even with the relatively low cost per KWh here in Alabama.

I'm a pragmatist. When electric is more cost effective I'll consider converting.

Reactions: VintageWIS

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I work in electrical wire and cable, so we pay particular attention to trends like this. While I'm more than happy for people to retrofit their houses with heavier gauge wiring to feed electric vehicle charging, I'm not adopting right now. I did the math, alongside several engineers in our plant, and every one of us came to the same conclusion - the electric vehicle isn't yet cost effective. I commute 90mi a day round trip to the office, in a Titan, and even with the best electric, I couldn't make the savings pay off. It would cost me more in added household electricity and acquisition cost to get an electric than I could save over the average battery life of the vehicle, and battery replacement is effectively catastrophic cost so when that comes, you have a junk car. Even with the mileage of the Titan the math doesn't yet work, even with the relatively low cost per KWh here in Alabama.

I'm a pragmatist. When electric is more cost effective I'll consider converting.
Would be curious if the math stands if you had solar panels on your roof. My house is still going on the market, but at one time I considered renting it out after installing solar panels on it, and making the renters pay for their own electricity, buying another house, and installing solar on that. I figure with the rental houses making money with the solar panels (maybe a few hundred a month), the money could at least go towards fixing any problems that the renters cause.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,982 Posts
until you can charge a vehicle as fast as you fill a tank of gas, i am not going to move to all electric vehicles. the wife's car can be electric but i need something i can go across state and country in and not spend a week because of charge times and lines.

as far as the v8s becoming more valuable? not sure. maybe they will become worth more at first but than lose value as the people who grew up having gas engines age out of the population? or maybe they will lose value early but gain it later as the engines become stuff only the collectors have?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
until you can charge a vehicle as fast as you fill a tank of gas, i am not going to move to all electric vehicles. the wife's car can be electric but i need something i can go across state and country in and not spend a week because of charge times and lines.

as far as the v8s becoming more valuable? not sure. maybe they will become worth more at first but than lose value as the people who grew up having gas engines age out of the population? or maybe they will lose value early but gain it later as the engines become stuff only the collectors have?
That reminds me of something I heard a few years ago. Someone told me that Elvis collectibles were going down in price because Elvis fans were essentially dying out. Kind of sad to see a generation of people that grew up in the Elvis era will soon no longer exist. And imagine growing up in a world where all you knew was electric cars. Damn I feel old now.....

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I didn't do the math on solar panels but it's another layer. I did do solar panel math about a decade ago and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze then to install them. I suspect it's not as bad an investment now but still not sure it pays for itself in my area with what I could save versus acquisition/install cost.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think it’s value will depend on the cost of gas. If electric evolves far enough and gas goes up, I think it’ll hurt the value. If gas comes back down, there may be a little bit of nostalgia for a v8 and it may hold some value.

Overall though I expect it to drop. This will never be a vehicle people seek out once it’s gone v8 or not. Heck, few seek them out now.

Ford started the trend of downsizing engines. Many people thought they were crazy and would lose tons of sales for that decision. Now it appears not only was first correct, but they also led the market in the downsizing trend.

Those of us who love v8’s are definitely the minority buyer. Eventually all OEM’s will stop catering to v8 buyers.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
It all about money, that’s the GREEN part on electric cars and solar panels.

Clint

Reactions: Trustin Throttle

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
This brings up another question: when gas use drops, what will government tax to recoup their revenue? My guess is, we are going to see energy taxes which are punitive to working families in their household electric bills every month.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
This brings up another question: when gas use drops, what will government tax to recoup their revenue? My guess is, we are going to see energy taxes which are punitive to working families in their household electric bills every month.
Electric vehicles in NJ pay no sales tax or road use taxes. It’s all going to implode in 5 4 3 2 1…

Clint

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,982 Posts
i read that. you would think they would have put that sucker out a while ago but i guess since they have to compete against turbo engines now, they had to up the ante

·
Registered
'21 P4X
46 Posts
They are already floating per mile taxes both at the state and federal levels. Supposedly a trial program is in the budget reconciliation that congress is trying to pass. I did the math on the numbers that are supposedly in the bill for a per mile charge and it would work out to double what I pay in gas taxes per year now. That really says something considering I live in Pa and we have the 2nd highest gas tax in the country.

Leave it to a politician to find a way to reach deeper into your pocket while telling you they are saving you money.

·
Registered
427 Posts
They are already floating per mile taxes both at the state and federal levels. Supposedly a trial program is in the budget reconciliation that congress is trying to pass. I did the math on the numbers that are supposedly in the bill for a per mile charge and it would work out to double what I pay in gas taxes per year now. That really says something considering I live in Pa and we have the 2nd highest gas tax in the country.

Leave it to a politician to find a way to reach deeper into your pocket while telling you they are saving you money.
And this will lead to a resurgence in older cars. Ten minutes and six screws I can take the gear out of my odometer in my ‘95 mustang. And only one of my motorcycles has an odometer that can’t be disabled, so …. Good luck to the state or feds charging per mile then.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
On a common car, you can disable the dash unit so the odometer does not count, then use an OBD link to an aftermarket head unit or mounted tablet to see your gauges. Coincidentally, that display configuration is similar to many of the electric cars.
I believe the transmission won’t shift if it can’t read the speedometer or driveshaft movement.
Among other things…

Clint

1 - 20 of 22 Posts